What are your Ten Most Anticipated books?

Stego

Regarding Blindsight by Peter Watts, from the interview BoG links to he seems like a fun guy, flat out calling it as he sees it when it comes to other author's ideas and books ( Rob Sawyern and Karl Schroeder pass by) and certainly not being afraid to criticize himself either.

So I checked out his site and it just cracks me up to see him rail against his own publisher ( TOR) like that:

http://www.rifters.com/real/newscrawl.htm#BadCover

and then a month later :D

http://www.rifters.com/real/newscrawl.htm#Alternate

Scroll down to April 19th for the last one.

ADWD as well as AWOW and ADOS...

That sequel to Pillars of the Earth! I loved that book. Didn't know of the sequel until I came here so thanks for that.

Making Money by Terry Pratchett

Children of Húrin by Tolkien

HP7 by Rowling. Just to see how it ends.

An unnamed Republic Commando novel by Karen Traviss (Star Wars)

The unnamed Darth Plagueis novel by James Luceno (also Star Wars)

And that's all I can think of for now.

Regarding Blindsight by Peter Watts, from the interview BoG links to he seems like a fun guy, flat out calling it as he sees it when it comes to other author's ideas and books ( Rob Sawyern and Karl Schroeder pass by) and certainly not being afraid to criticize himself either.

So I checked out his site and it just cracks me up to see him rail against his own publisher ( TOR) like that:

http://www.rifters.com/real/newscrawl.htm#BadCover

and then a month later :D

http://www.rifters.com/real/newscrawl.htm#Alternate

Scroll down to April 19th for the last one.

Ah, whining about covers. It is becoming something of a tradition ;) Cover of Blindsight may not be very good, but believe me, there are worse :mad: Just check the bad covers thread. I agree that he is probably overreacting, but then he isn' t the first author to do it.

BTW, this interview in SFRevu

http://sfrevu.com/Review-id.php?id=4546

is very interesting. He does seem to have a big sense of humor for a guy known for writing bleak books :) I was also interested to hear that he is currently reading Scott Bakker's Neuropath. If the copies of this circulate among other writes it should mean the perspectives of seeing the print are good.

Regarding Blindsight by Peter Watts, from the interview BoG links to he seems like a fun guy

I met Peter at Readercon this year. Quite funny and his reading was fantastic. Looking forward to Blindsight. After talking about the covers, he gave me a bunch of printouts of his homegrown alternate covers to stick over the real covers of the books we sell. :) His points on the cover are quite valid.

-Neil

In no real order...I'll take them as they come.

A Dance with Dragons - Martin

The next Cemetery book - Zafon

House War - West

The next novel whatever it is - Lethem

Hannibal Rising - Harris

Children of Hurin - Tolkien and son

Memories of Light - Jordan

The next novel whatever it is - Browning Spencer

Omega the Unknown - Lethem

Any book I stumble across that turns out to be great - Anyone

1. A dance with dragons - G.R.R Martin

2. Seventh Harry Potter - J.K Rowling

3. Red Seas under Red Skies - Scott Lynch

4. A memory of light - Robert Jordan

5. The assassin king - Elisabeth Haydon

6. Kushiel's justice - Jacqueline Carey

7. Renegade's magic - Robin Hobb

8. The next Dunk and Egg

I'm ever so glad that I don't start reading a series unless it's finished or on the next to last book (GRRM is an exception). So the only books I have to wait for are aDwD and the 7th HP. I'm incredibly upset about how long I've had to wait for HP to finish (I purposely started Book 1 on the same week that book 6 came out), so imagine what a wreck I'd be if I were waiting for 4-5 series all at once!

Robert Jordan is the reason that I have this rule. I gave up reading WoT years ago and swore I'd never start another unfinished series again. But if WoT is ever finished, I'll probably start from the beginning and read them all straight through.

A Dance with Dragons - Martin

Reaper's Gale - Erikson

Return of the Crimson Guard - Esslemont

This Forbidden Earth - Kearney

Red Seas Under Red Skies - Lynch

The Aspect-Emperor - Bakker

A Sword from Red Ice - Jones

House War - West

Shield of Thunder - Gemmell

I can't wait for Williams's Nibelungenlied retelling, but I think that's a long way off yet, so no sense listing it.

I'm also interested in Lloyd's The Stormcaller and Abercrombie's The Blade Itself, if/when they're published in the US. I might break down and order them from the UK at some point.

A Dance with Dragons -- Martin

On Chesil Beach - Ian McEwan

Devil's Brood - Sharon Kay Penman

The Boleyn Inheritance - Philippa Gregory

Wild Fire - Nelson DeMille

Lords of the North - Bernard Cornwell

New Dunk and Egg Novella - Martin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Right, I decided to change my list to Top 10 Most Anticipated Books in 2007.

We lose: Return of the Crimson Guard and A Memory of Light. Ysabel, Red Sails Under Red Skies and Storm of the Dead are new arrivals.

1. A Dance with Dragons by George RR Martin

Book 5 of A Song of Ice and Fire

ETA: Late 2007 (touch wood)

2. Red Sails Under Red Skies by Scott Lynch

Book 2 of The Gentleman Bastard

ETA: 21 June 2007

3. The Aspect-Emperor: Book One by R. Scott Bakker

Book 1 of The Aspect-Emperor (duh)

ETA: Very Late 2007 (US/Canada), May 2008 (UK)

4. Reaper's Gale by Steven Erikson

Book 7 of The Malazan Book of the Fallen

ETA: 2 April 2007 (UK/Canada), June 2008 (USA)

5. Ysabel by Guy Gavriel Kay

ETA: 5 March 2007

6. The Dreaming Void by Peter F. Hamilton

Book 1 of The Void Trilogy

ETA: September 2007

7. The Children of Hurin by JRR Tolkien

ETA: 16 April 2007

8. The Prefect by Alastair Reynolds

ETA: 19 April 2007

9. Storm of the Dead by Paul Kearney

Book 3 of The Sea-Beggars

ETA: Late 2007

10. A Sword from Red Ice by JV Jones

Book 3 of Sword of Shadows

ETA: December 2007

Night of Knives doesn't quite make the grade (and doesn't really count, since it came out two years ago in small-press), although the new cover is now up on Amazon. The Sworn Sword graphic novel from Dabel is also up there, but again it's an existing work and whilst the comics are out in 2007, the graphic novel version may be 2008.

Morgan and Asher's new books may make it onto the list after I've read more of their extant work.

Locusmag just came out with a new "forthcoming books" section and they've listed Hamilton's The Dreaming Void as coming out in August. No listing yet on Amazon UK though, which is a bit unusual as they are normally very early with these things.

I think Return of the Crimson guard, despite all the talk of agents and publishers, is due in 2008 after all. Is Jordan's last one even scheduled for 2007?

My updates list in order of anticipation:

1. Dance with Dragons- late 2007

How long would Martin have to finish it if he wants it released by say October/November? April at the latest?

2. Aspect Emperor-Bakker- Fall 2007

It seems that Scott has decided that he is not returning to any communication on the internet until he has actually finished writing the book. He seems to be a lot like Iain Banks in that he goes into these really long and intense writing stretches, and then takes a break. Hasn't done anything online since February this year, but there was one interview with him on Inchoatus which was from May, in which he said AE was shaping up to be very cool. Last official word from him was that he was slated for a Summer 2007 release, but I expect it will be a bit later.

3. Children of Hurin-JRR Tolkien/Christopher Tolkien - April 2007

From the recent news I gather that there will not be much material in this book and that it's main benefit will be to have a big, coherent tale without distortions. I still wonder if they will at least include The Wanderings of Hurin from HoME 11, but somehow I doubt it. Still, awesome tale and I will be having the Alan Lee illustrated edition.

4. Ysabel-Guy Gavriel Kay - January 2007 Canadian Edition

Really looking forward to it, vry good advance buzz and a great premise. I buy it when it comes out January 9th in Canada.

5. The Broken Kings- Robert Holdstock- January 2007 ( Uk)

Obscure to way too many people, I really like his new Merlin Codex, of which this is the concluding volume which has a superb premise.

6. The Godless World part 2- Brian Ruckley- October 2007

Book 1 was very interesting and leaves off with a cliffhanger concering the best character which has me hunkering for more. Very good new series.

7. Sword from Red Ice- JV Jones-December 2007

Despite Jones claiming it would be November, Orbit at least has decided on December. Still no word from TOR US about a release date though. Anyway, a book I'm really looking forward to, even if it hard to believe we still have to wait a full year for it.

8. Axis- Robert Charles Wilson-June 2007

This looks like it could be even better than The Spin, and become one of the premier SF novels of our time. Focusing on the Arch, the Hypotheticals and a universe " billions of years older and more complex than ours".

9. Red Seas Under Red Skies- August 2007 ( US)

I prefer to wait a month longer for the US edition. I suppose this book could go on in a very interesting direction since they're leaving Camorr. I hope Lynch maintains having interesting minor and secondary characters and that he keeps the Bondsmagi in.

10. Reaper's Gale-Steven Erikson - April 2007

I've still got loads of catching up to with when it comes to Erikson and I've found him rather hit-and-miss sofar, but I have to say that this book has all the hallmarks of looking like it will be the best one yet.

11. Before they are hanged- Joe Abercrombie - March 2007

Looks like the second volume broadens the story somewhat and maintains the interesting central characters.

12. Bright of the Sky- Kay Kenyon- April 2007

Very good looking new Scifi-Fantasy combination from Kenyon, published by Pyr.

13. Spindrift - Allen Steele- April 2007

Interesting new SF novel about first contact with an apocalyptic alien force.

14. The New Space Opera- edited by Jonathan Strahan- June 2007

Looks like a fantastic collection of Space opera short stories by the masters of the current SF field.

15. Black Man- Richard Morgan- May 2007 ( published as "Thirteen" in the US).

This one took him a long time to hammer out. The premise sounds better to me than any of his other novels though since I am not that much into cyperpunk and noir detectives.

Others:

Lord of the Silent Kingdom- Glen Cook. I haven't read the first one yet but this one looks very good. Something Erikson fans might like I think. Glen Cook tackling a bigger story than his Black Company books.

Brasyl-McDonald. I haven't liked anything of his I've read sofar but still, this is so intriguing.

Hilldiggers-Asher- But first I have so many other Asher books to read, and this is a standalone when I was hoping the follow up to Polity Agent ( Line War) would be out soon.

The Prefect-Reynolds- Looks good but I haven't even read his Revelation Space novels.

Archived