Coldhand's Scarf Covers The...

Blazfemur

I've always thought Coldhands has a throat injury - his voice is weak and it 'rattles,' much like Stoneheart's voice.

It's as good an idea as any... But we still have the question, "who was that guy?

exactly. i discoutn him immediately as the night's king. still, he was killed (sacrificed) in front of the weirwood. blood tribute was made. i wonder if it ties in to "there MUST always be a Stark in Winterfell," if his blood was the seal to whatever pact was made to strike up that contract. could that have been where it all originated, that singular event, sealed in blood, perhaps by the woman with white hair, wielding a First Men-alloyed weapon.

I'm sorry but where is it mentioned? I cannot recollect it, could you post the book text please

just a theory, linking the reaosn he wears a scarf to cover up, and what we saw in bran's vision, an attempt to give him more backstory as he has so little.

If they cut his throat, he would have bled out shortly after his "death", and therefore wouldn't have blood pooling in his extremities. LOTS of people got their throat cut under that heart tree. The one in that vision could have been any one of them.

If they cut his throat, he would have bled out shortly after his "death", and therefore wouldn't have blood pooling in his extremities. LOTS of people got their throat cut under that heart tree. The one in that vision could have been any one of them.

certainly correct, yes. again this is just an attempt to give backstory and history, it fits a lot of what we've heard. still, dat scarf tho

It could be I suppose. It is certainly far from the worst Coldhands theory.

EDIT: My reply was aimed at the OP, not at the post above me.

oh good because that post above you is by far is the worst coldhand's theory

I think that guy was The Lord of winterfell when the nights king and his queen came and took it. They carried on the stark name.

im kidding, of course.

it's possible, though im a believer of TNK/TLH/BtB, so on principle, i actually cant believe that i dont think

I added this to a other Coldhands thread earlier today:

A couple of other pieces of interesting information about Coldhands: the ravens follow him around constantly, as if they have some bond or affinity with him. Also, even though he's some kind of wight or undead person, he rides a living elk, who is not the slightest bit afraid of him. The elk even seems to do what he wants, like taking the children on the head while he circled back to kill the rebel Nights Watch men. You don't have to go unconscious to control and animal; Varamyr rides his giant bear, using his skin changing powers to control him, but he's not unconscious while he rides. Usually, animals are afraid of undead persons. The fact that cold hands seems to have an affinity with living animals could be a clue that he used to be a skin changer, and has managed to retain some part of his powers even in death.

Also, when Bran calls him a monster, he says "I'm your monster, Brandon Stark." It could be that he's simply referring to the fact that he is currently helping Bran, but it kind of sounds like he might be keeping some sort of ancient oath to an ancestor of Bran's, perhaps a different Brandon Stark...

As far as it goes, this is in accordance with reality, but Martin has a number of things that are just wrong, like arrows carrying enough energy to kill someone atop an 800 foot wall (or even fat Sam trudging up the stairs from the bottom to the top).

A couple of other pieces of interesting information about Coldhands: the ravens follow him around constantly, as if they have some bond or affinity with him. Also, even though he's some kind of wight or undead person, he rides a living elk, who is not the slightest bit afraid of him. The elk even seems to do what he wants, like taking the children on the head while he circled back to kill the rebel Nights Watch men. You don't have to go unconscious to control and animal; Varamyr rides his giant bear, using his skin changing powers to control him, but he's not unconscious while he rides. Usually, animals are afraid of undead persons. The fact that cold hands seems to have an affinity with living animals could be a clue that he used to be a skin changer, and has managed to retain some part of his powers even in death.

Also, when Bran calls him a monster, he says "I'm your monster, Brandon Stark." It could be that he's simply referring to the fact that he is currently helping Bran, but it kind of sounds like he might be keeping some sort of ancient oath to an ancestor of Bran's, perhaps a different Brandon Stark...

Good thinking! Another precedent...when Bran et al leave the crypts after the sack of WF and Bran intentionally see's double. Half through his human eyes and half through Summer's.

well, the stark's can control their direwolves while they were themselves too, not necessarily warging into them. Its mentioned all over the place on TWOIAF that when threatened, the COTF could call down a group of animals (birds, etc) to aid them. It would appear on the surface the flock of ravens is a similar feat with Coldhands. not insinuating his bloodline has COTF blood, though to some extent, id attribute his elk control and raven control to First Men-blood, like the starks and the wargs of the north.

exactly. i discoutn him immediately as the night's king. still, he was killed (sacrificed) in front of the weirwood. blood tribute was made. i wonder if it ties in to "there MUST always be a Stark in Winterfell," if his blood was the seal to whatever pact was made to strike up that contract. could that have been where it all originated, that singular event, sealed in blood, perhaps by the woman with white hair, wielding a First Men-alloyed weapon.

I think that the "contract" stated (even if unintentional) that he was meant to serve the Starks. Like, if somehow, that ritual, whatever the real intention was, got him "bonded" to them and he can't escape it. Hence, "your monster".

Archived