Sansa is not a Stark

Cavendish

I can only say that Sansa is obviously not dying. I think there's not even a plausible scenario for her to die. What will George do, throw away five books of character development for a cheap death at WInds?

The Starks have to survive, since this is their hero's journey. That means Sansa, Arya and Bran must live until late ADOS, and even then, Arya, as much as I love her, has a much more connected path to death.

I like the idea that Sansa losing her direwolf foreshadows her 'Starkness' being lost. It makes sense that she would, not only because of the Lannister / Baelish influences on her life, but because of the well done comparisons to Arya that have been established. The main reason I like this theory however, is because it means she may actually survive. That would be more than enough for me, as i'd say she has become the character I'm rooting for the most (along with maybe Jon and Davos, who I also think will die).

According to this, Ned who never had a direwolf was never a Stark?

And if Sansa is meant to die, GRRM would have killed her long time ago. She basically had no purpose in great sceme. Which brings the conclusion, she will have a significant role.

It isn't the direwolf that brings the ability to warg. They appear to be catalysts though

The ability to warg is hereditary within all Starks, but shown more in some than others. This current generation is picking up on what seems to be coming to the fore in the previous generation.

Bran is clearly the more advanced, which appears enhanced by his being a 'broken thing'. Certain senses can be more attuned when one is missing, or weaker.

Rickon may be the next most advance as he's young, impressionable and open. (Get them while they're young.)

Robb is clearly described as wolf-like in battle circumstances.

Jon has become aware of warging abilities.

Arya hasn't yet worked out what her wolf-dreams are.

Sansa exhibits the least, seemingly no ability.

Does it appear that males are more susceptible than females in this generation? Lyanna may have been the most susceptible in the previous generation.

The ability was always there, dormant, waiting to be woken. A direwolf being present, or nearby, is the perfect host to move into, as we've seen demonstrated. I think this shows the origin of The Starks. They are of The First Men, and also of the Children of the Forest.

Outwardly, they have First Men ancestry. Inwardly, that's where their ancestry from the Children of the Forest resides.

Curiously, the family lines into which Starks have married also have animal connections. Tully = fish. Whent = bat.

How does it go....? All that walk upon the earth. All that swim in the oceans. All that fly in the sky.

Sounds like those Stark kids could be powerful given whichever 'medium' they could enter. Bran will fly. How about Rickon summoning kraken? Sansa simply needs a catalyst. A little bird, perhaps. Let's try.... a robin. Uh-oh! What if she goes into Sweetrobin as Bran did with Hodor? If it goes wrong....? Or.... Sansa really goes to the Dark Side, Star Wars style?

Sansa's arc isn't a mirror of her siblings, or whoever Jon is to her (cousin? just a bastard after all). Hers is complimentary. Its reflective of stages and ages of an inter-related ability. What if Bran helps things move along? What if Sansa develops green-seeing abilities instead? Even though they are separated, The Stark Kids are still intertwined. Something sparks a memory to remind them as well.

The North Remembers!

Sansa will remember.... what to say, at an appropriate time. Sansa is a Stark, a Stark of Winterfell.

It is the central question to her arc, and it hasn't barely been tested yet. Stark or Lannister, North or South, it's coming, but you're wrong, it will end with her giving the Starks and North a parting gift and then shunning all identity.

And Nymeria is going to die before the War for the Dawn, then what?

It isn't the direwolf that brings the ability to warg. They appear to be catalysts though

The ability to warg is hereditary within all Starks, but shown more in some than others. This current generation is picking up on what seems to be coming to the fore in the previous generation.

Bran is clearly the more advanced, which appears enhanced by his being a 'broken thing'. Certain senses can be more attuned when one is missing, or weaker.

Rickon may be the next most advance as he's young, impressionable and open. (Get them while they're young.)

Does it appear that males are more susceptible than females in this generation? Lyanna may have been the most susceptible in the previous generation.

The ability was always there, dormant, waiting to be woken. A direwolf being present, or nearby, is the perfect host to move into, as we've seen demonstrated. I think this shows the origin of The Starks. They are of The First Men, and also of the Children of the Forest.

Outwardly, they have First Men ancestry. Inwardly, that's where their ancestry from the Children of the Forest resides.

Curiously, the family lines into which Starks have married also have animal connections. Tully = fish. Whent = bat.

How does it go....? All that walk upon the earth. All that swim in the oceans. All that fly in the sky.

Sounds like those Stark kids could be powerful given whichever 'medium' they could enter. Bran will fly. How about Rickon summoning kraken? Sansa simply needs a catalyst. A little bird, perhaps. Let's try.... a robin. Uh-oh! What if she goes into Sweetrobin as Bran did with Hodor? If it goes wrong....? Or.... Sansa really goes to the Dark Side, Star Wars style?

Sansa's arc isn't a mirror of her siblings, or whoever Jon is to her (cousin? just a bastard after all). Hers is complimentary. Its reflective of stages and ages of an inter-related ability. What if Bran helps things move along? What if Sansa develops green-seeing abilities instead? Even though they are separated, The Stark Kids are still intertwined. Something sparks a memory to remind them as well.

The North Remembers!

Sansa will remember.... what to say, at an appropriate time. Sansa is a Stark, a Stark of Winterfell.

I agree with you... Just one thing, according to GRRM, all Stark kids are wargs just on various levels of their development.

I like the idea that Sansa losing her direwolf foreshadows her 'Starkness' being lost. It makes sense that she would, not only because of the Lannister / Baelish influences on her life, but because of the well done comparisons to Arya that have been established.

I second that. I don't think it may hint if she will live or die in the near future, but it clearly has to do with identity. It's not a coincidence if the Stark children that had to use an alias are the two daughters who were separated early from their direwolves. And I find Arya's case more significative than Sansa's. Not only she doesn't acknowledge that the wolf she's warging is Nymeria, but even when she actually sees her, fleeing Harrenhal with Gendry and Hot Pie, she doesn't suppose it could be her ! I find this really startling.

From time to time, she sent Hot Pie and Gendry on while she doubled back to try to confuse their trail, listening all the while for the first sign of pursuit. Too slow, she thought to herself, chewing her lip, we're going too slow, they'll catch us for certain. Once, from the crest of a ridge, she spied dark shapes crossing a stream in the valley behind them, and for half a heartbeat she feared that Roose Bolton's riders were on them, but when she looked again she realized they were only a pack of wolves. "Ahooooooooo, ahooooooooo." When the largest of the wolves lifted its head and howled back, the sound made Arya shiver.

The North Remembers!

No because Arya is warging Nymeria from another continent and can skinchange cats which Jon cannot do yet. Just because she doesn't know its Nymeria doesn't really mean much. She has no Orrell or Jojen to explain to her what is happening.

What hate about these conversations is that no one has any clear definition of "Stark-ness". It's not even related to their character arcs.

Bran closely identifies with as the Prince and the heir to Winterfell, The Stark in Winterfell, and his story about a reenacting of the myth of Bran the Builder.

Arya uses the image of the wolf from which to draw strength, and her story is that of a wolf queen, a Nymeria for the North.

Sansa again and again references her parents being the daughter of "Lord Eddard and Lady Catelyn" ("I must be as strong as my lady mother"), and not surprisingly her story is centered around settling their old business with the man who helped, directly or indirectly, cause their deaths: Petyr Baelish

"Stark-ness" isn't some mineral or mbti trait that you can have a certain quantity of. It's a matter of what role you play in the house's destiny and future. It's a literary construction composed of symbols and images, for them and us as readers.

I give 5 000 000 dollars to person who finds me "Sansa Lannister" in books. No, seriously find me where these two words are used together at one instance in the series and I will give you the money. And please offer the same for "Sansa Stark" AFTER the marriage..

Same for cersei. When the Hells has she ever been referred to as cersei baratheon ? I can not recall one instance.

I like the idea that Sansa losing her direwolf foreshadows her 'Starkness' being lost.

Ned never had a direwolf. => Ned was never a Stark. He never had the Starkness.

Brandon and Lyanna never had direwolves => They never had the Starkness. They were not Starks.

None of the Starks for many centuries had direwolves = > They weren't Starks.

Seems legit... :drunk:

It makes sense that she would, not only because of the Lannister / Baelish influences on her life

What Lannister influences?

but because of the well done comparisons to Arya that have been established.

Wait, what? How does comparing her to Arya make her a non-Stark?

The logic I mocked above is competely ridiculous, but I could see where the flawed reasoning comes from. But this, I don't even understand how its supposed to work?

And here I am. The post is, IMO, a misogynist BS.

What on earth about the OP is misogynistic? Is it just because it focuses on a female character? Please explain how it shows hatred or mistreatment of women?

Sansa's arc isn't a mirror of her siblings, or whoever Jon is to her (cousin? just a bastard after all). Hers is complimentary. Its reflective of stages and ages of an inter-related ability.

I completely disagree with this. Sansa is on the same type of arc as her siblings. She is on her own apprenticed to someone that seems to have nefarious intentions towards her to learn a specific skill that will more than likely be needed to help herself, the Starks and perhaps all of Westeros. All of the siblings are dealing with the same situation.

As for the OP, Sansa has definitely sought out her identitiy as a Stark of Winterfell after her father lost his head however it remains to be seen what the fallout will be of having lost her direwolf. There must be some consequence or they wouldn't have been included in such an important way. I suspect it means she'll be cut off from the mystical side of things since the connection with the wolves is a magical one. She'll be firmy rooted in reality which really makes sense for her arc considering she began with her head full of songs and fairytales. Bran, Arya and Jon are already interacting with the magic of Planetos while Sansa is interacting in the realm of men.

What on earth about the OP is misogynistic? Is it just because it focuses on a female character? Please explain how it shows hatred or mistreatment of women?

Oh, you mean Sansa Lannister post? That is basically self-explanatory... Enhanced by the fact that "Sansa Lannister" is never mentioned in the series.

Oh, you mean Sansa Lannister post? That is basically self-explanatory... Enhanced by the fact that "Sansa Lannister" is never mentioned in the series.

That hardly makes it mysgonistic. That word seems to be a fan favorite for several sansanistas. It's a rather lazy way to respond to a POV you don't agree with.

Archived