About how many characters there are in a song of ice and fire? (including background characters)

Amir Asaf

How many characters there are in a song of ice and fire? including every single background story (even Aenar Targaryen (Aegon's I grandfather's grandfather)).

I mean every single name that was mentioned in the books, every single person in every House's family tree, every unimportant character who appeared in the books, every wildest and men of the night's watch who has a name.

How many charters do you assume there are?

Thank you.

Well, the List of characters from the wiki has exactly 2040 (!!!) entries. (I didn't count it manually. :) I copied the list into a text-file and let the program count the entries after removing every row that hasn't a character name in it.)

However, this list also has the names of known direwolves or dragons in it, so you can subtract a few entries from it if you're only interested in human / humanoid beings. [EDIT: Actually, it doesn't.] OTOH, I assume this list is not 100% complete, so you also have to add an uncertain amount of numbers as well...

Let's just say at least 2000 named characters and call it a day, shall we?

Well, the List of characters from the wiki has exactly 2040 (!!!) entries. (I didn't count it manually. :) I copied the list into a text-file and let the program count the entries after removing every row that hasn't a character name in it.)

However, this list also has the names of known direwolves or dragons in it, so you can subtract a few entries from it if you're only interested in human / humanoid beings. OTOH, I assume this list is not 100% complete, so you also have to add an uncertain amount of numbers as well...

Let's just say at least 2000 named characters and call it a day, shall we?

I added my self the rest of Aegon's family (they are not there).

what about un-named but referred to as being?

+ 8,000 unsullied/clone army, + 500 second sons, + 2,000(?) golden company.

and are animals/creatures included?

current + historical dragons, direwolves, bitches/hounds, any more? ah, wandering septons dog, various horses.

Archived