[ASOS Spoilers] Would Garlan Tyrell have testified for Tyrion?

clair de lune

I've been thinking about this ever since I got to the Purple Wedding in my ASOIAF reread. Ser Garlan and his wife are particularly nice to Tyrion and Sansa in this and in earlier chapters. (Remember when Sansa danced with Ser Garlan?)

At Joffrey's wedding, Garlan notes to Tyrion all the great things he did for their cause when he was Hand. Garlan defends Tyrion (as politely as possible) when Joffrey focuses his displeasure on him.

It's never mentioned in ASOS if Tyrion asks for Garlan to testify for him. It kind of galls me that GRRM would let that happen. With how courteous Ser Garlan was, I find it improbable that Tyrion would not think to ask for him to testify on his behalf. Garlan could defend Tyrion's tenure as Hand, give him credit for his part in the Battle of the Blackwater, and attest that he did not see Tyrion poison the chalice. And Garlan was positioned much closer than some other people, such as Lady Merryweather, so his testimony would hold more weight.

Of course we know that the Queen of Thorns was likely the real person who poisoned the chalice. (other option would have been Margery or Garlan himself, but I doubt those) So we have to ask...to what extent was Garlan in on that? Did he have a small part in it, or a big part?

I don't really want to go into the possibilities of his participation in the plot to kill Joffery in my opening post, but I have to say that unless Garlan was in on it I don't see a reason he wouldn't have testified for Tyrion.

he might have a part. There is a way to testify for Tyrion and not implement his grandma, He can say that he saw someone bigger than Tyrion put something in Joffrey's chalice.

How exactly does that work?

Garlan: "I saw someone bigger than Tyrion put something in the chalice."

Tywin: "Who?"

Garlan: "I don't know. Someone bigger."

Mace: "Well, what did they look like?"

Garlan: "...Bigger?"

Tywin: "GTFO."

If Garlan is already on board with the idea of assassinating the king at his wedding (which I doubt, anyway) then I doubt that he's going to have too much of an issue with whether or not the totally innocent party being framed is nice guy or not.

As for why Tyrion didn't put forth his name as a witness to Kevan, it's probably because he realized that Garlan's testimony wasn't going to amount to much more than, "He seemed like a nice enough guy."

Garlan was the son of one of the judges. That's kind of a conflict of interests, specially because the Tyrells needed the Lannister alliance and Tyrion, nice or not, fucked up their plans (allegedly). Also, Mace and Cersei and Tyrion were in good terms. Garlan would never say anything to make Tyrion look innocent. I'm sure Tyrion realised this.

Besides, I'm sure the Tyrells wanted Tyrion dead. That way Sansa is free to marry. Their plans backfired when Sansa escaped.

Bronn's line from the show applies here: "I always liked you, I just like myself better."

That Balon Swann was willing to testify on Tyrion's behalf, despite the obvious risks, shows how suited he is to the Kingsguard. He wanted to spare an innocent man and find the King's real killers, not just please a half-deranged Queen Regent

Considering how things were, the best Garlan could had said, as stated above, was "I didn't see him do it". Unfortunately that's not very solid proof either way, as Tyrion could had done it without Garlan noticing it, he might be gallant but he isn't omniscient. And considering all the witnesses the prosecution had, it would not had changed anything.

Bronn's line from the show applies here: "I always liked you, I just like myself better."

That Balon Swann was willing to testify on Tyrion's behalf, despite the obvious risks, shows how suited he is to the Kingsguard. He wanted to spare an innocent man and find the King's real killers, not just please a half-deranged Queen Regent

I agree completely with this. Garlan seems like a nice enough person, but he will want to protect himself and his family first. Also, it may have even been him who poisoned the cup, he was the closest wasn't he?

Truly Ser Balon is one of the few deserving kingsguard remaining. I've always liked him.

Archived