9 best poker players in westeros

cosmicteeth

Doesn't Jaime say about Meryn Trant (I hope it is he) that his face is impossible to read so he can be a deadly rival?

I may be mistaken, but was that not Mandon Moore?

Also, why aren't Ned and Brienne getting any nominations here? They'd be great!

Tywin Lannister

Littlefinger (winner)

Mandon Moore

Olenna Tyrell

Tyrion Lannister

Barbrey Dustin(she fooled Roose)

Mance Rayder

Walder Frey

Roose Bolton

I almost went for Doran, but he'd just fold every game.

C'mon, Varys? Varys would be terrible. He can't even read JOFFREY, the most obvious, simple person in all of Westeros.

Now, the people I'd want to play with are... 9 is also a lot for a poker game... and not a round number either... that's a weird way to phrase a question.

1.) Stannis Baratheon - would not cheat

2.) Ned Stark - ditto

3.) Tywin Lannister - Lannisters always pay their debts

4.) Kevan Lannister - ditto

5.) Tyrion Lannister - ditto

6.) Rhaegar Targaryen - he has no luck on the river

7.) Jaime Lannister - ditto, plus... you know, pays his debts

8.) Brienne of Tarth - no luck on the river

9.) Berric Dondarrion - dead money, but he keeps buying back in

:cheers: you sir have won this thread

I may be mistaken, but was that not Mandon Moore?

Also, why aren't Ned and Brienne getting any nominations here? They'd be great!

Tywin Lannister

Littlefinger (winner)

Mandon Moore

Olenna Tyrell

Tyrion Lannister

Mance Rayder

Walder Frey

Roose Bolton

I almost went for Doran, but he'd just fold every game.

I think brienne and Ned would be wayy to honorable/predictable... although he did bluff everyone with the whole wylla thing :cool4:

maybe ned would be in but brienne no bingo.

Only in the minds of fans who really want her to be on Team Stark

Wyman Manderly

Gotta disagree with this one. Manderly is actually pretty terrible at hiding his intentions. In his first scene with Davos he lets his contempt for the Freys show on his face, even though he's pretending to be on their side. At Winterfell he openly insults and antagonizes them. Then we have Roose's line "My fat friend plots betrayal"

Wyman Manderly is a must at the feature table. Behind his jovial, friendly manner is hidden a mind sharp as a razor. He'd be a much fatter expy of Daniel Negreanu.

Robb Stark. Surprised you, didn't I? He'd be that apparent noob, barely old enough to sit at the table. You know nothing of his poker accomplishments, so you have a hard time figuring out how the hell is he taking away everyone's chips. A counter-technique against this one: distracted by the sexy. Sadly, it works very well against the Young Wolf.

Lord Bloodraven. He's so fucking old, he has played every possible hand. Twice. (No, not every starting hand. Every permutation of the 52-card deck.) He knows the game inside and out. Don't let his age fool you for a second. He isn't senile by any measure.

Littlefinger will be there. He likes to play, he has the money, he loves to use the game to demonstrate how clever he is. The moment he learns, to his sorrow, he isn't the only smart person at the table, will be one of the highlights of the game.

Nestor Royce. Just so we get to see one single hand: an overconfident Littlefinger bets heavily, happy beyond measure that Royce just keeps calling, the poor clueless old fool... all the way to the showdown, which turns out to be a very nasty surprise to Lord Baelish. Pwnd!

Walder Frey. Cameras-schmameras, he'll show up at the table wearing an "Asshole and proud" T-shirt, and will live up to the promise. He'll trash talk, he'll slowroll, he'll clip his toenails on the table. Nevertheless, he'll do quite well... for a while. Then he'll start believing he's so damn smart, my precious, that he can't lose a hand no matter what he does. He'll be wrong.

Doran Martell will just sit there and not play a single hand for fifteen years. What's he even doing at the table, I have no idea, but here we are. Thank to his extremely passive style, he won't be the first one to bust out. Eventually, though, he'll ante himself to death.

Gotta disagree with this one. Manderly is actually pretty terrible at hiding his intentions. In his first scene with Davos he lets his contempt for the Freys show on his face, even though he's pretending to be on their side. At Winterfell he openly insults and antagonizes them. Then we have Roose's line "My fat friend plots betrayal"

And even though he seemingly betrays his emotions, it doesn't seem to help his opps that much: Rhaegar, Symond and Jared still ended in pies, and Roose Bolton still ate them. Just a hunch that "he's up to something" won't help you much at the table, unless you manage to decipher what that "something" actually is.

And even though he seemingly betrays his emotions, it doesn't seem to help his opps that much: Rhaegar, Symond and Jared still ended in pies, and Roose Bolton still ate them. Just a hunch that "he's up to something" won't help you much at the table, unless you manage to decipher what that "something" actually is.

I disagree. Roose is well aware that Manderly killed the Freys (Ramsay: Do you believe Manderly? Roose: Did I give you that impression?), and will therefore be watching him more closely. Not good for Manderly's plans

Manderly should take a cue from Roose himself. He convinced everyone he was loyal to Robb Stark until he walked up and stabbed him in the heart

Tywin Lannister

Roose Bolton

Stannis Baratheon

Oberyn Martell

Arya Stark

Mance Rayder

Asha Greyjoy

Willas Tyrell

Tyrion Lannister

Tyrion is willing to lose as long as Tywin doesn't win, so he's trying to discretely signal to that effect. Arya picks up on it and they work together.

Tywin and Stannis are having a stare-off.

Oberyn starts out strong, taunting both Tywin and Stannis, but he seems more intent on trying set up a three-way with Asha and Willas than playing the game.

Mance challenges Roose to an arm-wrestling contest, which Roose declines, then Mance spends the rest of the evening goading Roose about that.

Stannis goes out early because the cards just don't fall his way.

Oberyn gets on a roll and then loses spectacularly. Willas never took the bait so Oberyn merely kisses Asha's hand as he leaves.

Asha waits another hand before going out, then follows Oberyn.

Tywin has remained strong throughout but is finally taken down with a crappy hand.

Arya gets up on the pretext of using the privy and sticks a dagger in Roose's back while whispering "My brother sends his regards." Mance compliments Arya on her stabbing technique. Everyone goes back to the game.

Tyrion has been drinking heavily throughout the game and he's no good anymore. He quits and goes in search of a bed.

Willas, Mance, and Arya continue play for another hour at which point Arya offers to get refreshments for everyone. Willas accepts. He promptly dies.

Mance decides it's better to live.

Arya wins.

I agree that Wyman Manderly is not good at hiding his intentions.

Tywin Lannister

Roose Bolton

Tyrion Lannister

Doran Martell (heavily calculates the game just to fold in every round and wait for the next one though, infinite loop).

Jaqen H'ghar

Littlefinger.

Oberyn gets on a roll and then loses spectacularly. Willas never took the bait so Oberyn merely kisses Asha's hand as he leaves.

Asha waits another hand before going out, then follows Oberyn.

I like this 'ship', Obesha.

#1 Varys - Obvious reasons

#2 Littlefinger - Ditto

#3 Tyrion - Seems to be the only one who can follow the scheming of #1 and #2

#4 Olenna - Nobody gets to being as old as her playing the Game of Thrones without cunning and a good pokerface

#5 Dolorous Edd - Would only get a good hand rarely but would win big in those rounds because he would still mope around like it's a bad hand

#6 Barristan - always in the right place at the right time, as ex-KG needs to be able to read people, can lie when he needs to as "Arstan" proved

#7 Blackfish - even with the odds against him he always gets away

#8 Meryn Trant - KG and has the perfect pokerface

#9 Patchface - You'd never know what he was upto, could be a real wildcard

WINNER = Barristan

ETA: How it would go down (inspired entirely by Lady Blizzardborn)

The only ones who care about winning are Varys, LF, Tyrion and Olenna. Varys quickly gets engaged in a battle with LF, with everybody else normally folding. They start to pull clear and Edd is close to being out, as is Patchface. A big win by Patchface brings everyone back into the game as the tussle ends, LF with the slight upper hand. Next hand Edd goes all in , claiming to be bored, and both LF and Patchface accept. Edd wins the hand, Patchface loses the next hand as well and is eliminated. Barristan and Meryn throughout this have been refusing to lie, as has Tyrion, which puts them down a little on the others. Olenna and the Blackfish are still at about evens, maybe a little below. Edd goes on a bad run, as does LF, and they both exit. 6 left: Tyrion (who by this point is leading), Varys, Barristan, Olenna, the Blackfish and Meryn. Olenna offers to make some lemonade, to which Barristan accepts. meryn believes (correctly) that Olenna is trying to poison the competition so stabs her, before sitting back down. The Blackfish begins to get suspicious as to how Varys is doing so well, so stares into the eyes of each competitor, when he finds out Tyrion has become one of varys' "little birds", so both are exiled from the table. Just Barristan Meryn and Brynden remain. at this point a stalemate is reached. With no end in sight, Barristan offers to call it a draw, but Brynden refuses, which turns out to be his downfall as he goes out just 5 minutes later. Meryn and Barristan agree to go all in about half an hour later. A queen appears as the last card on the river, completing Barristan's King/Queen full house and winning the game

<snip

I like this 'ship', Obesha.

I was really close to putting Margaery in instead of Asha. Given the rivalry between the Tyrells and the Martells that could have been hilarious.

<snip

ETA: How it would go down (inspired entirely by Lady Blizzardborn)

<snip

Always happy to help. :)

Plus he's been known to lose hands unexpectedly.

Yeah, and always the good ones.

Archived