Newest trailer...GAH

The Starks, Tyrells and Lannisters have been on top for a long time. They may not have been kings and queens, but they're still powerful and above everyone else. You don't have to be president to be one of the elite.

The Starks were definitely on top before the war. Renly says something like the friendship between the Starks and the Baratheons kept the rest of the others in line.

"They're just spokes on a wheel: that one's on top, then that one's on top, and on and on it goes." That's what she says in the trailer. What you wrote is true, but it has no resemblance to what Dany's saying in the trailer.

Really, did you get upset when she blamed Ned Stark for what happened to her? Did you criticise the internal logic of GRRM?

Why would I criticize something that works? Ned was the co-leader of the rebellion that brought her family down, and she blames him for that. Nothing illogical there. No "spokes on a wheel".

Stop whining people. This isn't the books.

Dear Noob.

it's not whining, for the most part, its just not understanding some of the VERY strange charactor changes/omissions, merges.

I have and do enjoy the show, but at times its success has let average writing/adaption get through the net. They shot season 1 twice, and it shows because it's better than the others.

The more divergent the show becomes the harder it will be to watch for people who love the books, that's a fact and one that can't be changed. It's not whining to disagree with certain changes, they cannot be helped, but loyal opposition is important too.

"They're just spokes on a wheel: that one's on top, then that one's on top, and on and on it goes." That's what she says in the trailer. What you wrote is true, but it has no resemblance to what Dany's saying in the trailer.

Why would I criticize something that works? Ned was the co-leader of the rebellion that brought her family down, and she blames him for that. Nothing illogical there. No "spokes on a wheel".

And what she said makes sense as well. They were on top. They part of the major houses. Not to mention Robb declared himself king and ordered his people to fight a war for him. You taking what she says to literally. They are just spokes on a wheel, fighting each other over an over.

What happened with Ned has no resemblance to what she wants to believe. Even Barristan tries to point that out to her and that upsets her.

What happened with Ned has no resemblance to what she wants to believe. Even Barristan tries to point that out to her and that upsets her.

Yep. ASOIAF Daenerys suffers from the same poor judgment and leadership skills as show Daenerys, but show Daenerys is annoying. Regardless, she needs to get it into her head that her father was a loon and a monster, and that the rebellion was justified.

And what she said makes sense as well. They were on top. They part of the major houses. Not to mention Robb declared himself king and ordered his people to fight a war for him. You taking what she says to literally. They are just spokes on a wheel, fighting each other over an over.

It doesn't make any sense. For years and years I've been lurking over and posting on this site, and reading some other ASOIAF-related sites, and I don't remember anyone described Westeros ruling houses as "spokes on a wheel", because they really aren't. "Spokes on a wheel" implies some rotations, whether periodic and natural or sporadic and forced. It implies turns each side spends at a certain position before it is replaced by a competitor, it implies some kind of repetitive events. That is what wheel typically serves as a metaphor for, and that looks like the meaning it has in this trailer. But, there's nothing repetitive in Westeros power struggles and wars: not before Targaryens, not under Targaryens, and definitely not after Targaryens. I don't see how could anyone see it as a wheel. Nothing wheel-ish about it. Great houses fighting each other over and over again doesn't constitute "spokes on a wheel" where "this one's on top and then that one's on top and on and on it spins crushing those on the ground". Not really.

This is just a trailer, of course, so theoretically she could be talking in a context that justifies the wheel metaphor. I wouldn't hold my breath, considering D&D's record so far, but theoretically it's still possible.

Again, you're talking about a very different situation. She formed her beliefs according to what Viserys told her. And what Viserys told her was logical and true from his point of view, though we obviously know it wasn't true. But, what "knowledge" one has to possess in order to see the great houses of Westeros as "spokes on a wheel"?! Based on what information or logic one can see great houses of Westeros as "spokes on a wheel" that spins on and on"? What I'm asking is not about being upset or living in denial, but about logic.

Yep. ASOIAF Daenerys suffers from the same poor judgment and leadership skills as show Daenerys, but show Daenerys is annoying. Regardless, she needs to get it into her head that her father was a loon and a monster, and that the rebellion was justified.

Oh good lord, THIS.

Archived