Cricket; 27 Not Out...

Stubby

Going into final group stage matches ,we still have two places up for grabs .This has been the most open World Cup since '96 . Great job by the Irish to keep it interesting and to WI and Pak for keeping their reputation of being unpredictable intact . Whatever happens tomorrow i believe the Irish have a strong case of becoming a Test nation they are not a pushover side by any means . They won't have a stronger side once this lot retires and this is probably the best time to make them a test nation .

I see many people wearing the '92 WC jerseys in the stands , are they being sold in AUS/NZ ? If yes i would surely want one .

Going into final group stage matches ,we still have two places up for grabs .This has been the most open World Cup since '96 . Great job by the Irish to keep it interesting and to WI and Pak for keeping their reputation of being unpredictable intact . Whatever happens tomorrow i believe the Irish have a strong case of becoming a Test nation they are not a pushover side by any means . They won't have a stronger side once this lot retires and this is probably the best time to make them a test nation .

I see many people wearing the '92 WC jerseys in the stands , are they being sold in AUS/NZ ? If yes i would surely want one .

I want Ireland to go through, But I think Pak and Wi will win.

However, there is a hurricane on the way to the WI/UAE venue, so it is possible that game ends in a no result and WI falls short by 1 point, which is not really the way you want placings to be decided.

Light rain is due to hit Napier in the afternoon. WI elected to field, smartly, in the hopes of knocking off UAE fairly early and then get enough overs of batting in so that they can win under Duckworth-Lewis even if they don't manage to win outright.

I've read that this is a category 5 storm and has already done some serious damage in Vanuatu.

Hopefully the game remains unaffected. I'm glad I waited to check on the lineups before making my selections because I was planning on putting in Gayle.

I've read that this is a category 5 storm and has already done some serious damage in Vanuatu.

Hopefully the game remains unaffected. I'm glad I waited to check on the lineups before making my selections because I was planning on putting in Gayle.

I made him my captain :bang: At least I also have Taylor.

:grouphug: for Vanuatu and Solomon Islands.

It will probably be only a tropical storm by the time it slides down the east coast of NZ, but that will still bring enough rain to rain out a game.

I actually didn't check the line up prior to the WI game, but I figured it would be a bowler's day for Wi so I just picked 2 bowlers, Taylor and Huzzah! Holder for the second bowler. Unfortunately I went Taylor for Captain, so It appears I will miss having the highest performing player as captain, but it's still good to see Taylor with a brace of wickets. Hopefully Taylor gets a few overs at the tail end, with Holder having only 1 over to go, and he can pick up a few wickets as well as drop his economy rate for a few bonus points.

I did do a charity pick of one UAE batsman. But that failed to pay off. hopefully he can take a catch or get a run out while fielding to get himself into positive points territory at least. I should have used that pick for an Irish player. Grump.

I did notice in the scoring system that there is at least one advantage to picking someone as a bowler. Basically every batsman/allrounder that goes out gets -5 points. But a bowler doesn't lose points for going out.

So now the QF's are sorted, harsh on Ireland, they played well this tournament but were unlucky to go further.

Australia vs Pakistan. Australia will probably be favourites but Pakistan on their day will be hard to beat.

South Africa vs Sri Lanka. This game should be a cracker, up to the Lankans to keep SA's run of not winning at WC knockouts alive.

New Zealand vs West Indies. NZ should win but if Chris Gayle fires, who knows.

Bangladesh vs India. Bangladesh the giant killers might strike again.

Still in 12th! Hooray!

Remember: you have UNLIMITED transfers until the next phase of play starts, then 20 transfers for seven matches. Trying to decide the best way to go about this. Thinking that I'll set up QF play with a couple of players from each side, but save most of my transfers for the final so that FURSUIT MANIA has nowt but players in the finals during that match. I'm open to other suggestions, though.

BRING ON THE BUNNIES.

Still in 12th! Hooray!

Remember: you have UNLIMITED transfers until the next phase of play starts, then 20 transfers for seven matches. Trying to decide the best way to go about this. Thinking that I'll set up QF play with a couple of players from each side, but save most of my transfers for the final so that FURSUIT MANIA has nowt but players in the finals during that match. I'm open to other suggestions, though.

BRING ON THE BUNNIES.

MCGeek and I were looking at this earlier and noted that any players in the second two QFs could just stay put until their team loses. Kiwis look good for being put in just before their QF and not leaving. (Famous last words, to New Zealand fans.) One only has to worry about getting rid of and then recalling two from Bangladeshis, Indians, Sri Lankans and South Africans.

My thoughts - setting up the initial team for the first two quarter finals, then 4 transfers per match.

That's my plan. MCG is planning to set up for the first three, using as few Bangladeshis as finances permit, as that's the result he's surest about...

>harsh on Ireland, they played well this tournament but were unlucky to go further

yeah, especially as they ended up tying with West Indies on the table, yet they'd beaten West Indies. First tie-breaker should always be head-to-head imo

So now the QF's are sorted, harsh on Ireland, they played well this tournament but were unlucky to go further.

Australia vs Pakistan. Australia will probably be favourites but Pakistan on their day will be hard to beat.

South Africa vs Sri Lanka. This game should be a cracker, up to the Lankans to keep SA's run of not winning at WC knockouts alive.

I agree it's slightly unlucky for Ireland, before the tournament it would have seemed likely that they'd qualify if they could win three matches.

I'd say Australia, NZ and India should be the favourites to go through. I think the South Africa/Sri Lanka match could go either way.

SAvSL is going to be a highly unpredictable contest. I suspect that overall, SL is going to suffer due to lack of bowling options, but equally, if Sanga gets going again, the SA bowlers might panic and lose the plot.

The other quarters should be easily won by the favourites. Even a good innings from a limping Gayle won't be enough for WI- there's simply too many holes to plug for a single event to change the inevitable result. Whilst the romantics would love to dream about it, I just can't see Bangladesh doing enough to even trouble India, let alone win. Pakistan don't have nearly enough batting depth to challenge Australia, though I do think the Aussie batsmen will get a reasonable test.

WA into the Sheffield Shield final. They have a chance to make a clean sweep of all three domestic trophies up for grabs this year. All that stands in their way is Victoria.

And if Adam Voges hasn't earned a call up to the Ashes squad with his efforts this year then he never will.

If conditions are good for swing bowling then NZ might be able to get through Gayle to at least neutralise the WI batting. There is always a good chance of having a pretty stiff breeze here, so that should help with swing.

Listening to the radio yesterday a physicist was talking about the swing of a cricket ball. Did you know the air actually travels faster across the rough surface of the ball than the smooth surface? Also did you know that no one has yet been able to confirm under laboratory conditions that cloudy, humid conditions are better for swing than sunny dry conditions? But I wonder if in cloudy humid conditions the rough surface of the ball absorbs marginally more moisture and that somehow changes the aerodynamics just enough to allow the ball to swing slightly better.

I was also unaware that when reverse swing first became a thing cricket officials thought it was the result of ball tampering

Archived