Cricket; 27 Not Out...

Stubby

I was also unaware that when reverse swing first became a thing cricket officials thought it was the result of ball tampering

That's very kind of you. Essentially it was a case of English sour grapes, because the Pakistani bowlers could swing the ball in ways they couldn't have imagined.

Huh. Which radio show? I wonder if it was my friend's segment (he did a whole series on the physics of cricket)

Unless your friend is a physics professor at Victoria University in Wellington then I doubt it's the same show.

Also on swing. When we played driveway cricket with a tennis ball we covered half the ball in duct tape and BOY did it swing something fierce. And my older brother was a legit fast bowler, so it was bloody hard to bat against that ball. Brilliant fun when you actually followed that out-swinger and managed to get the ball on the middle of the bat and send it soaring for six-and-out.

Unless you friend is a physics professor at Victoria University in Wellington then I doubt it's the same show.

Also on swing. When we played driveway cricket with a tennis ball we covered half the ball in duct tape and BOY did it swing something fierce. And my older brother was a legit fast bowler, so it was bloody hard to bat against that ball. Brilliant fun when you actually followed that out-swinger and managed to get the ball on the middle of the bat and send it soaring for six-and-out.

Heh. We used to get the old electric razor out and shave one side of the tennis ball. Same result.

Backyard cricket rules vary from home to home of course, and we had different rules between the backyard (minbat, only spin was allowed) and front yard. In addition to the six and out rule, we also played 'one hand one bounce', 'windows on the full', 'cars on the full', 'on the roof' (all of which were out) and my personal favourite - for mini-cricket only - over the house on the full was 100 and not out.

Heh. We used to get the old electric razor out and shave one side of the tennis ball. Same result.

Backyard cricket rules vary from home to home of course, and we had different rules between the backyard (minbat, only spin was allowed) and front yard. In addition to the six and out rule, we also played 'one hand one bounce', 'windows on the full', 'cars on the full', 'on the roof' (all of which were out) and my personal favourite - for mini-cricket only - over the house on the full was 100 and not out.

We always talked about one hand one bounce, but we never implemented it, it just never felt right. One hand off the fence, or off the roof we did do. For some reason we never had a window or car policy. But for the most part the cars were in the garage, so it didn't come up much. Nicking the ball onto the garage door was always out. We also occasionally put a chalk mark on the ground (or used a crease in the concrete) to mark where silly mid off and silly mid on were, and if you hit the ball on the full through that zone you were out. Trying to encourage playing along the ground you see. Lead to lots of arguments over whether the ball bounced before, on or over the line of course. And cries of benefit of the doubt! benefit of the doubt! by the batsman. The larger person normally won those disputes, though sometimes majority rule prevailed. Also depended on who owned the bat some times. In some locations hitting certain trees on the full was out too.

Damn! I wish we had 100 and out at my high school. It was a rare feat to hit the ball cleanly over this one 2 story classroom block (which acted as the midwicket boundary), but it was still only ever 6 and out, as impressive a feat as it was.

We never enforced a spin only policy, though we did implement a 3-stride run-up policy when the occasional called for it. But if you could bowl fast with just 3 strides more power to you.

I've got Thirimanne and Sanga as my batsmen for SL. Sanga is my Captain. So not looking too bad there. SL are angling for a pretty low score right now. My SL bowling pick isn't in the team so I'll get naught but Sanga's wicket keeping performance as significant points from their fielding. My Saffers are De Villiers, Morkel and Rossouw.

That's very kind of you. Essentially it was a case of English sour grapes, because the Pakistani bowlers could swing the ball in ways they couldn't have imagined.

Why the hell are we getting the blame? Early accusations were by the Indians and the Australians. David Warner was still accusing Steyn of ball tampering when he got Australia out last year.

Looks like SA has this one.

Yep. It's all over bar the shouting. Would require a choke of Jana Novotna or Greg Norman proportions from SA to lose this one.

In fairness he couldn't get into the side because of Ajmal and probably Kaneria who were both better than him at the time.

So the South African bowling has turned up. That makes them a bit more of a threat to win the World Cup than they've looked so far.

Impressive bowling from South Africa, although Sri Lanka's batting was very poor. It did look like one of their potential weaknesses was the lack of strength in depth so there was always a danger of a low score if the big players didn't deliver. After such a great tournament to date they did well to contain Sangakarra.

Archived