Cricket; 27 Not Out...

Stubby

So dropping Guptill on 4 was a bit of a disaster then.

As drops go that's probably up there with Shane Warne dropping KP at the Oval 2005 in terms of consequences.

It was an amazing innings from Guptil. He's probably spent most of his career in the shadow of McCullum/Taylor/Williamson (hence why I didn't pick him for the fantasy team) but scoring the second-highest ODI score of all time in a World Cup Quarter Final is an impressive achievement.

It was a brave attempt at chasing from the Windies but it always seemed like too big a challenge for them.

Great catch.

It was magnificent, you can't keep Vettori out of the game.

NZ vs South Africa could (hopefully) be a classic, two powerful batting line-ups, two great sets of pace bowlers and two spinners who have been very effective in the tournament so far.

So, a pretty fair (and not unexpected) semifinal lineup in the end. Australia and NZ will start as favourites, but neither team can be complacent.

I think tomorrow's semi will be fascinating. A lot of people have written off South Africa but I think they are primed for two very special performances. They've got their losses out of the way early, and pleasingly, emphatically bowled out a strong batting lineup in their first knockout match. NZ have already demonstrated a weakness against hostile fast bowling, and Steyn and co. will be keen to be unleashed. How their top order handles Boult will probably determine the outcome of this match.

I'm not sure which India will turn up on thursday. They haven't been challenged in this world cup apart from the chase against eliminated Zimbabwe. Their bowling has been good but no one has really taken them on in a manner that Australia will. At their peak, they're certainly good enough to beat Australia, but I'm not 100% convinced about their form. Particularly because Kohli's dominance has plummeted since the test series finished. Australia will have to guard against complacency and taking things for granted like they did against NZ. I'm sure they're expecting to win, and win well. The latter may prove to be their biggest weakness.

I think SA/NZ is too close to call. NZ probably has the home ground edge, but SA is pro enough and has good enough form that home ground advantage only counts for little. Also, even in the relatively modern era NZ has a less than 50% winning record at Eden Park. There is still a home ground advantage of course because their winning record away from home is considerably worse than their winning record at home.

There is rain about in Auckland today, so I really hope the Messers Duckworth and Lewis don't have an effect on the game today. If the overs are to be shortened I hope that happens right from the start and both teams bat the same number of overs. Also I hope the game actually happens because my son is selling donuts at the game and he needs to earn the money for his university living expenses. Though I imagine if the game is called off until tomorrow he'll be working then anyway.

So, a pretty fair (and not unexpected) semifinal lineup in the end. Australia and NZ will start as favourites, but neither team can be complacent.

I think tomorrow's semi will be fascinating. A lot of people have written off South Africa but I think they are primed for two very special performances. They've got their losses out of the way early, and pleasingly, emphatically bowled out a strong batting lineup in their first knockout match. NZ have already demonstrated a weakness against hostile fast bowling, and Steyn and co. will be keen to be unleashed. How their top order handles Boult will probably determine the outcome of this match.

Cloudy and humid brings swing into the mix, which means Southee could be as dangerous as Boult today. Auckland is always more humid than Wellington so atmospheric conditions for bowling will be very different to the QF, where Southee got rather badly smacked around. I don't know what the pace of the AKL wicket is like. But of course we have Aus/NZ as a benchmark in the pool stages for how the ground will play and both teams failed to get on top of the bowling. It could be a bowler dominated match, which possibly gives the advantage to the team bowling first. Whereas I think I would rather NZ batted first and got a decent total to defend.

Bummed that Milne is out injured. now I think we only have one genuine pace man.

A bit of drizzle still about. SA batting first. Under normal conditions that's advantage SA. But with the possibility of a rain affected match it will mean SA will want to force a high run rate from the get go, which potentially means early wickets if the SA batsmen don't get their eye in early.

Archived