Cricket; 27 Not Out...

Stubby

A part of me is sad that Kiwis didn't win. But the Aussie bowlers are just too good at the moment, their bowling unit as a whole is very effective at what they do.

McCullum and the Kiwi team in general showed a good brand of cricket and just stayed so humble throughout. Truly inspirational stuff from these guys. I wouldn't have been sad at all if they managed to snag the WC, would have been quite the fairy tale ending!

Already going through Cricket withdrawal.....When is the next match?!

It's a pity the final was a bit one-sided. While McCullum's aggression has benefited NZ a lot during the tournament there was always a danger it could be a mistake against a good bowling attack. Grant Elliot impressed for the second game in a row but the rest of the batting order were disappointing.

I think Australia were the best team overall in the tournament, although only in the final did they really pull ahead of the Kiwis.

In more important news, the Royal Ducks have claimed fantasy league glory. At least there's one South African capable of holding his nerve.

Congratulations to the Ducks, I think they were on top for most of the tournament.

Annoyingly, I lost third place on the last game (not helped by four of the players having negative scores).

Next up on my cricket calendar is the English tour of the West Indies. Then (God help us) the Ashes......

On current form I'd also be a bit nervous about the NZ/England games before the Ashes. Boult and Southee in early season English conditions could be a real handful.

Next up on my cricket calendar is the English tour of the West Indies. Then (God help us) the Ashes......

I feel in honour of this series we should prematurely lock this thread and start the new thread with the most famous line of cricket commentary that was never actually spoken: the bowler's Holding, the batsman's Willey.

I feel in honour of this series we should prematurely lock this thread and start the new thread with the most famous line of cricket commentary that was never actually spoken: the bowler's Holding, the batsman's Willey.

Genuinely said once on Sky Sports: the commentator's Holding, the umpire's Willey.

We have to have something to rave about before winter takes us back to the doldrums that is the Bledisloe Cup.

IS the coach of NSW still the aus coach ? Nz will get there revenge there with ease. God lord we are lucky if we beat them at NRL let alone Union.

Still what a world cup

IS the coach of NSW still the aus coach ? Nz will get there revenge there with ease. God lord we are lucky if we beat them at NRL let alone Union.

Still what a world cup

It was a great tournament. They interviewed some officials during the telecast yesterday who said it was an administrative and attendance success.

They had a target of 1 million bums on seats throughout the tournament and exceeded that (it helps when you have approx 100K come tho the final alone). The ICC was amazed at how well attended the neutral matches were.

Mr. X was looking up flights to WI last night. Depending on a few things, we might actually try to attend a day of one of these Tests.

I hope you get to go. And make sure you take some nice pics while you're there.

I can't believe we're in a Rugby World Cup year again already. It feels like it hasn't been anywhere near long enough since the last one. I guess with so many world cups and Olympic gameses happening every 4 years the international sporting spectacular calendar gets a bit crowded. I suppose it's OK that the CWC and RWC happen in the same year. Shit imagine if Aussie takes both of these cups in the same year? The country's collective head would get so big it might explode. Don't laugh. Both times the RWC was held in UK territory Aussie won it.

ICC announced their team of the tournament thusly:

Brendon McCullum (NZ ©

Martin Guptill (NZ)

Kumar Sangakkara (Sri Lanka) (WK)

Steven Smith (Australia)
AB de Villiers (South Africa)
Glenn Maxwell (Australia)

Corey Anderson (NZ)

Daniel Vetorri (NZ)

Mitchell Starc (Australia)

Trent Boult (N)

Morne Morkel (South Africa)
Brendan Taylor (Zimbabwe) (12th man)

Can't really argue with that, especially since NZ has the most players and game for game were the best team at the tournament.

And of course I'm not even slightly biased. That should go without saying though.

Speaking of which, Brad Haddin's response to the criticism about the chickenshit sledging after Elliot got out was pretty funny, saying the Kiwis deserved it because they were too nice when they beat the Aussies in the first meeting between the sides. Either Haddin was being intentionally funny, in which case fair play and I can laugh along with him, or he really is such an emotionally stunted fuckwit he's repulsed by good sportsmanship, in which case he's such a villainous caricature I can't help but laugh at him.

ICC announced their team of the tournament thusly:

Brendon McCullum (NZ ©

Martin Guptill (NZ)

Kumar Sangakkara (Sri Lanka) (WK)

Steven Smith (Australia)

AB de Villiers (South Africa)

Glenn Maxwell (Australia)

Corey Anderson (NZ)

Daniel Vetorri (NZ)

Mitchell Starc (Australia)

Trent Boult (N)

Morne Morkel (South Africa)

Brendan Taylor (Zimbabwe) (12th man)

Can't really argue with that, especially since NZ has the most players and game for game were the best team at the tournament.

A case could be made for Sean Williams of Zimbabwe in place of Anderson, but on the whole a reasonable XI.

Archived