Cricket; 27 Not Out...

Stubby

• 2 weeks later...

Depressingly, Richie Benaud has died. Another great voice of cricket gone.

Sad news, if I think back to watching cricket growing up then he'd be the first commentator I'd think of.

ETA - I was just reading his obituary on the BBC website. Although I did know that he'd had a great Test career of his own before becoming a commentator I never knew that he scored what is still the third-fastest Test century of all time.

ICC president has resigned in a snit, because he didn't get to present the trophy to Australia.

Does that mean there's a chance we might have an expanded CWC next time rather than a contracted one? If so, this is good news. If not...meh...who cares?

Depressingly, Richie Benaud has died. Another great voice of cricket gone.

Very sad news indeed. I really enjoyed his commentary and his analysis of the game.

Good bye Noble sir. You have given your life for cricket and now summer will never be the same again without your voice. May you rest in peace

Best line: Glenn McGrath dismissed for two, just ninety-eight runs short of his century

RIP Mr. Benaud. His playing career was before my time so I remember him as the games best commentator. A legend and true gentleman.

His mantra for commentary: "If you can add to what's on the screen then do it, otherwise shut up." More than a few of the curent generation of commentators should heed that piece of advice.

England vs West Indies starting soon. After that joke of a warm-up it's hard to know what to expect really: are England's batsmen actually back in touch? The West Indies squad meanwhile is largely untried: beyond Bravo, Chanderpaul and Ramdin very few of their batsmen have any real Test experience. Both sides have good but, of late, misfiring, bowlers.

Could be interesting.

Archived