Cricket; 27 Not Out...

Stubby

If the final is anything like the pool match between these two teams, it will be a cracking game.

I missed the last part of India's innings, leaving for work when they were 5 wickets down. Sounds like I should have stayed home, since the rest of it didn't take much longer. Highlights tonight.

If Aussie wins the CWC it means both teams will have lost only one game apiece during this CWC, and the losses will have been to each other. Both teams will have an unbeaten home record, which of course means both teams only lost when playing an away game.

Bit of a shit that for NZ their away game is the final.

*fingers crossed* that the final will be competitive.

IMO the final will most likely be competitive if NZ bats first. Batting first will give NZ the chance to put up a decent total and hopefully trouble Aussie at least a bit in their innings. If Aussie bats first I can see the game going a similar way as the Aus/India semi-final.

I do hope Ross Taylor has done some practice in calling and running between wickets. Singles, turning ones into twos and twos into threes will play an important part in this game because boundaries will be harder to get. Which also means McCullum's approach to opening will be interesting. His tactic seems to have been to try to smash as many 6s and 4s as he can before holing out to a mis-timed attempt at hitting a boundary. At the MCG he's as likely to hole out to a well timed hit that finds a fielder 3/4 of the way to the boundary as he is to hole out to a mis-timed shot.

Yeah I think NZ have to bat first to have a chance. Their bowling attack is good, but containing Australia is going to be hard if they can't apply the pressure of chasing a big target. Australia bat so deep that if they bat first, a big score is always possible - notwithstanding the fact that the Aus-NZ game was low-scoring, I don't think that will happen again.

The Australian bowlers haven't always performed well under pressure and trying to contain a batting side that comes after them. They have conceded some big scores in some matches in the last couple of months so I think that's NZ's best chance.

At the MCG he's as likely to hole out to a well timed hit that finds a fielder 3/4 of the way to the boundary as he is to hole out to a mis-timed shot.

On most NZ grounds, you can release the pressure by mistiming a slog over mid-on etc.. At the MCG, you have chip into the gaps and run 2's and 3's frequently.

This, along with the likely flat pitch that will provide absolutely no assistance to Boult and Southee, will be NZ's biggest obstacles.

Having said that, they've proven themselves to be resourceful and their key men are in good form, just like Australia. So I'm expecting a close match along the lines of the NZ-SA semi.

I would have NZ as marginal favourites. They're in cracking form, have just dispensed with what was on paper the best team in the tournament, and will be buoyed from having already beaten Australia once in this competition. What's more I feel like they have less to lose. Australia have the baggage of four former championships and the resulting expectation on them, whereas for NZ there is less pressure as they have already served notice by reaching the final undefeated (and splattering many of their opponents en route), which I suspect makes them better odds to hold their nerve during a run chase (whether fielding or batting).

If the match were in NZ I'd have them as firm favourites, but some account has to be taken for home advantage.

“A cricket crazy youth in Tamil Nadu cut his tongue on Thursday seeking the ‘intervention of gods’ to make India win the World Cup semi-final match against Australia,”

Now I don't feel so silly for throwing my TV out a window

Clearly the tongue cutting lacked commitment, it was probably just a small nick rather than a real slice.

I think Aussie is pro enough not to feel the weight of expectation. So I doubt the significance of the occasion will have much effect.

I read some pundits suggesting Dan Vettori's 10 overs could be make or break. In terms of bowling stats for the tournament it's really Boult+Vettori vs Starc. Those 3 have been the danger men in terms of wicket taking, with Starc and Vettori have been the economical guys. Overall Starc is the number 1 bowler for the tournament, taking wickets and being very economical.

Game day! Bring it on!

I don't really the think the MCG ground size is going to play a major role. The worst that could happen for NZ is that Brendon McCullum mishits one and gets caught, if he has full control of the shot, he will clear any ground. The other NZ batsmen aren't really going to be effected by the ground size. The thing that could disadvantage NZ IMO is if the MCG wicket is flat, and offers nothing for Boult and Southee. I'd say overall Australia are slight favourites. Come on Aussie!

*fingers crossed* that the final will be competitive.

Agreed ! NZ batting first, hopefully McCullum has a decent run. 15 - 20 overs of him could set up a very good total. I still back the Aussies to have a real good go at any big total. Here's hoping for a great game of cricket !

Wow ! Starc gets it swinging, and that's the end of McCullum. You gotta admire his bold attitude, but in a world cup final maybe have a look at the pitch and if it's swinging ? Oh well, he was never going to back down. :dunno:

Archived