October Reading Thread

pat5150

Still ploughing through Viriconium. Every time the storyline kicks in and things get interesting, Harrison conspires to bring it to a screeching halt through extreme weirdness. Only a fifth of the way into the book after a week. Luckily it's a collection so I might take a break once I finish the first section.

Still ploughing through Viriconium. Every time the storyline kicks in and things get interesting, Harrison conspires to bring it to a screeching halt through extreme weirdness. Only a fifth of the way into the book after a week. Luckily it's a collection so I might take a break once I finish the first section.

yeah, Viriconium was a slow read. the first story is the best IMO. he tends to lose his plot in the prose a lot. influential but not always pleasurable to read.

Had a single sitting read today. I picked up Pratchett's Wintersmith and blazed my way through it. Tiffany Aching is one of his finest creations and his rendering of a thirteen year old girl is fantastic. But I love it for the Feegle too:

"Like, when we come back from drinkin', stealin', an' fightin', Jeannie gives ye the Pursin' o' the Lips," Daft Wullie went on.

A moan went up from all the Feegles: "ooooh, save us from the Pursin' o' the Lips!"

"An' there's the Foldin' o' the Arms," said Wullie, because he was even scaring himself.

"Oooooh, waily, waily, waily the Foldin' o' the Arms!" the Feegles cried, tearing at their hair.

"Not tae mention the Tappin' o' the Feets...." Wullie stopped, not wanting to mention the Tappin' o' the Feets.

...An' then--"

"it's time for the Explainin'!" said Daft Wullie.

But I reckon yon Wintersmith wants to romance the big wee hag and she disna ken what tae do aboot it."

"So it is like how babbies are made?" said Daft Wullie.

"No, 'cuz even beasties know that but only people know about Romancin'," said Rob, "Whena bull coo meets a lady coo, he disna have tae say, 'My heart goes bang-bang-bang when I see your wee face,' 'cuz it's kinda built intae their heads. People have it more difficult. Romancin' is verra important, ye ken. Basically it's a way the boy can get close to the girl wi'oot her attackin' him and scratchin' his eyes oot."

I also finished the first Prince of Nothing book. It's a superb book where a lot happens that is essentially nothing as it is a prologue and introduction to much bigger things. Bakkar's a great storyteller but the volume held no resolution and the structure was extraordinarily awkward.

Adam

Ive gone for a stroll in the Roman empire. Having finished and enjoyed Harris' "Imperium" I think I'm going to romp through Suetonius' "Twelve Ceasears", as I am enjoying the BBC's docu-drama 'Rome: Rise & Fall of Empire' (though why we are going backwards in time is beyond me; Nero, Ceasar, Gracchus?) and re-watching 'I Claudius' on BBC Four. FAB!! Will dip into Tacitus' annals as that is always a good contrast to Suetonius.

Slowly reading thru, Barry Unsworth's "Ruby in her Navel" . Like to take my time on good writers and enjoy the prose. His descriptions of the Muslim call to prayer with the christian bells ringing for prime over the rooftops of Palermo was so beautifully written.

Galaxy in Flames has been released so I'm off to do that and take a break from reading the Communist Manifesto.

I'm probably going to start looking for some books on the knightly orders fo the crusade and a few other crusade period things. If you know of anything good about these things, send me a pm or post it here.

Just finished Morningstar-collection from Mike Careys Lucifer comics. I think I'll start reading Romain Rollands Jean-Christophe and finish Victor Davis Hansons A War Like No Other.

I'am through 2'nd book of Tad Wiliams Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn trilogy.

I did Dragonbone Chair before I started As Song of Ice and Fire, and now can't get back into this one.

There are not so many in dept described characters, diferent points of view, shocks...

Now it is realy hard to read anything new. nothing comes even close to ASOIAF

Hi there!

Just finished Joel Shepherd's Crossover, a scifi debut published by Pyr.

Just as Scott Lynch's The Lies of Locke Lamora was an extremely entertaining fantasy debut this spring, so is Shepherd's Crossover a very good novel as well. As an intelligent, action-packed, kick-ass scifi thriller, there is a lot to love about this book.

Hard to put down. I commend this one to your attention. I can't wait to read the two upcoming sequels! Check it out!

For the full review, check the blog!

Patrick

Just read - I am Legend.

Wow. It was a reccomendation from the Vampire thread of a few months back. Thanks thanks thanks.

Can't wait for Hollywood to ruin it now.

They already have.

Charlton Heston (WTF?) in 'The Omega Man'. B&W.

I haven't personally seen it, as I did not want to be disappointed as I know the film is very different from the book. I think there are other survivors which sort of spoils the whole thing. Mind you someone is bound to have seen it and could make a better critique.

Loved the book.

The joke was serious as a Will Smith version of - I am legend is coming out next November. With some changes so I heard.

I've pretty much given up on reading novels while I'm at college.

I was an English major and reading for fun while going to school can be very difficult. Maybe books on tape? :unsure:

Finished How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff. It was good but definitely not in the same league as Perks of Being a Wallflower or even Just Listen.

Verdict: 7/10

Reading Mary Doria Russell's Sparrow and Cormac McCarthy's The Crossing. The former is a bit glib in the beginning but the premise is interesting and it should be a good read. Rosoff's prose style reminded me a bit of McCarthy actually, not that there's any comparison between their relative quality as authors. So far I am liking this one a bit less then All The Pretty Horses; hopefully it will kick into gear soon and will be as exhilirating as its predecessor.

Reserved at the library:

Jacob Have I Loved - Katherine Paterson

What My Mother Doesn't Know - Sonya Sones

The Lover - Marguerite Duras

Owl Service - Alan Garner

Perdido Street Station - China Mieville

Really excited about all of the above.

I am now reading Western Shore, part three of Juliet E Mckenna's Aldabreshin Compass trilogy.

This part is just as good as the others and I thoroughly enjoy this author's stuff. As I have pointed out in the main recco thread above, she is worth reading. Go get it!!

Archived