NFL 2015: Chip Kelly enters 3rd season of House of Cards

Jace, Extat

If that's the case, Revis could just as easily bent a little, re-signed with the Pats, and possibly gotten another championship, and start polishing his credentials for the HoF. Instead, it's back to a mess of an organization that will likely cut him in a few 5-11 seasons.

I understand not wanting to be lowballed, and I get the need to maximize your earnings over a very short career, but there are diminishing returns for each extra dollar earned.

Yeah, total mercenary. At least the Jets held firm at a $40m guaranteed ceiling by getting him for...$39m guaranteed.

The Patriots will assuredly land on their feet...say with the guy the Jets just cut: Percy Harvin. And watch them instantly make good on his 1,500 yard season potential...

My fellow 49er fans, the long night may be over: Blaine Gabbert is staying in San Francisco!

Wait, that can't be right, can it?

Equally exciting, the Raiders with their $63m of cap space made their first signing! Roy Helu. ....

I liked Helu. Congrats on getting $2m closer to the salary minimum, dicks.

:lmao: But my guys Boers and Bernstein pointed out today, people are still willing to give millions of dollars to bad quarterbacks. Exhibit A: Josh McCown. ;)

Exactly. Geez. Not to mention Jay Cutler could be had for a song...

So Revis is a Jet again. Huh. Alright. The price is high, but the Jets can certainly afford it. The thing is, the Jets don't have a franchise QB (obviously) and even if they draft one this year they don't need to pay him like one for 3-4 years. Because of that, and some other factors, they have crazy amounts of cap space (it was $45 million this year prior to cutting Harvin), they can afford to pay Revis and not have his contract be an anchor. Of course, as I was saying before, the potential problem is that a team in serious rebuilding mode doesn't need an all-pro CB right now. That's more for teams that are already close to winning and that's what'll put them over the top.

On the other hand, the Jets defense is looking potentially quite good again. It was pretty solid last year except for the fact that the CBs absolutely sucked, and they just signed a great one and a good one today. Granted, the problem with the Rex years was always that the defense was good/great and the offense sucked, and they haven't done much about the offense yet. But if they can sign a vet QB as a stopgap for a year or two (sadly not Hoyer anymore) and nail the draft for a QB this year or next (big ifs, I know), they could be competitive again while Revis is still mostly in his prime.

You'd think I'd have learned not to get my hopes up yet again for this team, but there you go. And anyway, the Jets, despite usually being a dumpster fire organizationally, have honestly been a pretty solid team in recent history. I make fun of them for how bad their overall historical record is, but starting from the '98 season (the year Parcells took them to the AFC Championship), they've been at .500 or better for 12 of 17 seasons (.503 winning percentage), made the playoffs 7 seasons (7-7 in playoffs), and made three AFC championship games. Nothing to write home about, but hardly an un-ending string of futility either. They also never had two losing seasons in a row during that time span.

Mexal

What do you think about us signing Hawk? I think it's a good pick up. Even at his age. Especially with the uncertainty around Burfict's health.

Meh. He's not great but at least he's veteran LB depth. He won't make a real impact.

However, if we sign Fairley tomorrow, that will be huge. Like this isn't the Bengals huge.

You'd think I'd have learned not to get my hopes up yet again for this team, but there you go. And anyway, the Jets, despite usually being a dumpster fire organizationally, have honestly been a pretty solid team in recent history. I make fun of them for how bad their overall historical record is, but starting from the '98 season (the year Parcells took them to the AFC Championship), they've been at .500 or better for 12 of 17 seasons (.503 winning percentage), made the playoffs 7 seasons (7-7 in playoffs), and made three AFC championship games. Nothing to write home about, but hardly an un-ending string of futility either. They also never had two losing seasons in a row during that time span.

This is true. Makes one wonder why the Jets have such a cartoonish rep when they've been middle of the road successful.

Here's my theories:

1) Kid brother complex - both to the Giants and the Patriots. If the Giants come off understated and professional like the NY Times, the Jets come off as classy as the NY Post. Honestly they'd do well to get a place of their own so they stop getting compared to their more serious, successful brother. But the relationship with the Patriots is the truly brutal one with their incredibly incestuous coaching history (Parcels, Belichick, Mangini...). And since 2000 if the Patriots are the ones who can do no wrong then that must mean the Jets.....

2) Two of the legitimately funniest moments in sports history. The Butt Fumble and Joe Namath wanting to kiss Suzy Kolber. Each of those is like 5 losing seasons in the average sports fan's mind.

3) Rex Ryan makes everything 50% funnier. Just not always sure if you're laughing at or with him. And even he seems less funny in Buffalo. Something about him in the bright green Jets get up (like "the incredible hulk gone to work at Baskin Robbins" as Matt Taibbi described it) is just comedy.

I dunno, just spitballing here. Even now J-E-T-S makes me smile where with, say, the Lions, a far more inept franchise, nothing. Can't say I fully understand it....

Watched some old Patrick Willis tapes today, and though I realized his feet were an issue, I'd failed to see how much he'd lost in the past couple of seasons. He's still one of the fastest lbs on crippled feet, but my God did he used to explode, routinely catching rb's and wr's from behind without an angle. Watching film of him is like watching a wildlife show about some super-predator; explosive speed and arrives with ferocious force.

I'd forgotten he was so good Ray Lewis said Willis was better than he'd ever been.

Such a shame.

The trade was high risk/ high reward. The fact they gave up Foles means they know he's not any good. The 4th for 5th round swap is basically nothing, and the 2nd rounder is at least partially injury insured.

In return, they get a guy who if healthy, is at the very least a solid starting quarterback, who still has the potential to be a franchise quarterback. The downside, of course, is his very shaky track record staying healthy. That being said, there will be a physical which will protect them if the knee hasn't healed properly.

I dunno, just spitballing here. Even now J-E-T-S makes me smile where with, say, the Lions, a far more inept franchise, nothing. Can't say I fully understand it....

I want to say it also might have something to do with the fact that they are a New York franchise. Kind of like the Mets will always live in the Yankees shadow to some degree, the Jets will always be The Giants little brother or weird uncle, or something. They are the less successful, Johnny-come-lately, and will most likely always be viewed that way to everyone except their fans. The fact that they are from the Big Apple seems to amplify the inferiority complex to some degree.

Watched some old Patrick Willis tapes today, and though I realized his feet were an issue, I'd failed to see how much he'd lost in the past couple of seasons. He's still one of the fastest lbs on crippled feet, but my God did he used to explode, routinely catching rb's and wr's from behind without an angle. Watching film of him is like watching a wildlife show about some super-predator; explosive speed and arrives with ferocious force.

I'd forgotten he was so good Ray Lewis said Willis was better than he'd ever been.

Such a shame.

He was so good that he (along with Gore) made that team watchable, even in the really bad years. I'll miss watching that guy.

Yeah, total mercenary. At least the Jets held firm at a $40m guaranteed ceiling by getting him for...$39m guaranteed.

I can't blame Revis for being a "mercenary"; he is the same age as Patrick Willis, and look how that turned out. I can't blame anyone in this game for wanting to take a few extra dollars over a championship or more wins; those things cannot pay the bills; they won't get you to the hospital any quicker; they get you the care you need when many of these guys will need it.

Revis money just isn't justified for the CB position anymore. I am sure evil Bill bid the Jets as high as possible before pulling the rug out from under them.

Right now, I just cannot agree with this statement. The CB is just so valuable; the ability to shut down a half of the field; the ability to reassign other DBs to lesser talent; the ability to get good and even near-great QBs to have that bug in their head. Revis does all that; he makes everyone around him better because his game is so strong. He does everything well, and he covers about as good as you can imagine. His coverage makes pass-rushers get to the QB better because QBs cannot throw as quickly. Other DBs can adjust fluidly so you can put Revis on one WR, put the other in double coverage, thus minimizing the weaknesses of the other members of the secondary. He adds to almost every phase of the D (I cannot see how he helps against the run, but maybe I am missing something).

This is a coach/QB league. Well, one way to minimize the QB is to make the secondary strong and/or have an insane pass rush. Pats don't have the former, so they invested- well - the the latter.

Revis' contract is five-year, $70 million deal with ~$39-$40 Guaranteed. I am a little peeved that the Pats could not find a way to scrape up $40 MiIl Guaranteed over 3-4 years. Seriously, wtf? Word was that teh Pats had frozen at $35 Mill guaranteed. If that is true- and it may not be - then the Pats have some 'splainin' to do . I know- In Bill We Trust BUt what is "Plan B?" Do they resign Browner (no clue why they would)? We going to try to develop some home-grown Corner- - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Sorry! Oh God!! I couldn't keep a straight face through that last part! A "home grown" Pats Corner Back! BAHAHAHAHA!!!! Oh, fuck that's funny! The last gu the Pats developed at Corner Back was Asante Samuel. That was like 8 years ago.

Okay, he is 29 (will be 30 at the start of the season). He has 2-3 really strong years ahead of him (when the Jets will still be terrible); why not craft a deal that front-ends the guaranteed money in the first 3 seasons?

Anyway, I would like some insight into the Pats Plan B; I mean, why not have Revis for Brady's last 3 seasons? Why not put that team out there? What are they saving that money for? Is there some great trade on the horizon? Is there a DB I'm forgetting about? Some WRs they can nab?

So, unless something Earth-shattering happens, the Pats guaranteed 2012 and 2013 all over again. 11 to 13 wins, a first-round bye and a loss in the AFC Championship game.

Wow... that was fun, huh?

I know, I know, First-World problems.

But its still a problem. The Pats over the prior 10 years had some stark similarities to the 2003 Eagles, the 1990's Bills and the current 49'ers: play well enough to make it to the Conference Championship then lose there multiple times, before sneaking into a Superbowl (and losing that). That's not as much fun as it sounds.

Don't get me wrong; I'd rather that than the Jags, DC, Browns, Bears and Titans etc, but the Pats HAD the guy who could help them avoid that fate. And they dropped him.

Despite my making fun of the Jets pretty often, your right, they often aren't terrible. Having been a fan since about 95, the most frustrating thing is how often they come to really being good and find a way to blow it.

Like having that lead versus the Broncos at halftime of the AFC Championship and then coming out a laying an egg in the second half. Or that playoff game versus the Steelers where they missed 3 game winning field goals.

Even last year, where they had the Patriots on the ropes, only to let a game winning field goal get blocked.

I will always root for the Jets, even though too often it seems like we are just waiting to see how we can snatch a loss from the jaws of victory.

I know, I know, First-World problems.

But its still a problem. The Pats over the prior 10 years had some stark similarities to the 2003 Eagles, the 1990's Bills and the current 49'ers: play well enough to make it to the Conference Championship then lose there multiple times, before sneaking into a Superbowl (and losing that). That's not as much fun as it sounds.

Don't get me wrong; I'd rather that than the Jags, DC, Browns, Bears and Titans etc, but the Pats HAD the guy who could help them avoid that fate. And they dropped him.

So what would you rather have? A team that is occasionally a contender, but when they do get there they win it all? (The Giants?)

The Pats are the team to beat. They are a dynasty in a league designed to not have dynasties. Belichick is the master of the modern game, and understands there is life after Tom Brady.

I know games aren't won in March, but since the Pats have beat the Jets by an average of two points or so in the last couple of years, it does seem like Revis and Marshall probably make at least that much of a difference for them. Unless Marshall beats up Geno Smith after leading him into one too many hard pops on the field -- which is a non-trivial risk.

In fact, on paper the rest of the AFC East has gotten more talented while the Pats let their second-best player go. All of a sudden it looks like the Pats are going to spend six games a season playing against three of the toughest defensive lines in the league.

I know they build to last but I really wanted them to maximize this window. Ah, well, all the more reason to cherish this championship. I'm glad the Revis rental worked out for the one year they had him.

IT was a 58-yard attempt; hardly a gimmie.

True, but you have to get the ball over the linemen to even have a chance.

While the Jets are definitely improving on paper, I really feel like their year will be completely determined by the answer to the question: can Geno Smith play better?

Since I live way out of market, I haven't seen enough of Smith to get an idea if there is real room for improvement, or if he just not talented enough.

True, but you have to get the ball over the linemen to even have a chance.

While the Jets are definitely improving on paper, I really feel like their year will be completely determined by the answer to the question: can Geno Smith play better?

Since I live way out of market, I haven't seen enough of Smith to get an idea if there is real room for improvement, or if he just not talented enough.

I really don't think Geno will be QB this season. The Jets missed out on Hoyer, McCown, or Cassel to be a placeholder QB, but I still think they'll sign/trade for someone's veteran backup (who would still be an improvement on Geno), unless they manage to get Mariota.

Archived