Foreign shows

Hugorfonics

I haven't seen too many foreign TV shows however I would recommend The Bridge, which is a Swedish/Danish procedural show about crimes related to the Oresund Bridge (which links the two countries). What happens if someone is killed on the bridge, which country has jurisdiction over the case. Also Les Revenants, which is a French TV show about people coming back from the dead (as people, not zombies) and how their families and friends deal with that.

Yeah man, would recommend stuff like the Sopranos, Friday Night Lights etc. Parks and Rec is a good foreign show if you're into optimistic, yet often profound, comedy

I haven't seen too many foreign TV shows however I would recommend The Bridge, which is a Swedish/Danish procedural show about crimes related to the Oresund Bridge (which links the two countries). What happens if someone is killed on the bridge, which country has jurisdiction over the case. Also Les Revenants, which is a French TV show about people coming back from the dead (as people, not zombies) and how their families and friends deal with that.

Borgen is great! (ok, season 3 was iffy). I think that's the only non-English language tv series I've ever watched. But one of my all time favorite shows is Canadian (if that counts), and tragically under-loved: Slings and Arrows. And Rake is a decent Australian show.

Awesome, I'll check em out. Didn't they brink Rake to NBC or something.

Borgen s3 was iffy. Poor Svend lol

Yeah man, would recommend stuff like the Sopranos, Friday Night Lights etc. Parks and Rec is a good foreign show if you're into optimistic, yet often profound, comedy

lol. Those are good shows

As others said above, Les Revenants is a damn great show. Quiz me Quick is also very nice comedy, quintessentially Flemish. You probably won't be able to get your hands on it though. I don't even know if subtitles for it exist.

A very recent German series that was great is Unsere Mütter, unsere Väter. It's about WWII and it gives a portrait of four friends (who start out in Berlin) and how the war effects them all. The ending wasn't as good as I had hoped for, but the series as a whole is well worth a watch. Cowboy Bebop is a Japanese anime (the dub is better than the original voices) that is absolutely stellar.

Engrenages is often discribed as the French answer to The Wire. I haven't seen that one myself, but going by its reputation you'll probably want to check that out eventually. There is also Kaamelott a French sitcom about King Arthur. It's pretty popular, although I haven't seen that much of it. It's pretty absurd, so if you like that type of humour you're in for some fun.

If you like crime series (think Midsomer Murders, A Touch of Frost) you could always try out Baantjer. Again not sure how you would find subtitles for it, but it's a nice little series. It has a great score, by the magnificent Toots Thielemans. Like all crimeseries it has the same patterns coming back over and over again, but the way this show handles that repetitiveness is pretty funny.

Mahabharat is an immensly popular Indian series. It has been on my to watch list for ages, but I haven't found the time yet. It has a 9,3/10 on IMDB, which is pretty respectable. Cidade dos Homens is a Brazilian series, a sequel of some sorts to the brilliant masterpiece Cidade de Deus. It's not as good as the film, but it does catch some of the atmosphere.

Gomorra - La Series is a serie by the same guy that also wrote Gomorra (the great Italian mob movie). This is apparantly quite good. I stupidly missed a chance to watch it for free, so when the good reviews came in I was kind of pissed with myself. Another series that came up often in comparison with Gomorra was the mini-series Il capo dei capi. Also about an Italian mob boss.

Some other series I have heard about and which are considered to be great: Heimat - Eine deutsche Chronik, Dekalog, Riget (by Lars Von Trier which means it will probably fuck with your mind), Leyla ile Mecnun (a Turkish comedy) and Ezel (Turkish, it gives me a bit of a Monte Cristo feel).

Borgen is excellent, but I sadly have not seen it all - just the first two or so episodes and the last few. I should correct this when I get the chance.

you gotta finish it Buck! It's fantastic

As others said above, Les Revenants is a damn great show. Quiz me Quick is also very nice comedy, quintessentially Flemish. You probably won't be able to get your hands on it though. I don't even know if subtitles for it exist.

A very recent German series that was great is Unsere Mütter, unsere Väter. It's about WWII and it gives a portrait of four friends (who start out in Berlin) and how the war effects them all. The ending wasn't as good as I had hoped for, but the series as a whole is well worth a watch. Cowboy Bebop is a Japanese anime (the dub is better than the original voices) that is absolutely stellar.

Engrenages is often discribed as the French answer to The Wire. I haven't seen that one myself, but going by its reputation you'll probably want to check that out eventually. There is also Kaamelott a French sitcom about King Arthur. It's pretty popular, although I haven't seen that much of it. It's pretty absurd, so if you like that type of humour you're in for some fun.

If you like crime series (think Midsomer Murders, A Touch of Frost) you could always try out Baantjer. Again not sure how you would find subtitles for it, but it's a nice little series. It has a great score, by the magnificent Toots Thielemans. Like all crimeseries it has the same patterns coming back over and over again, but the way this show handles that repetitiveness is pretty funny.

Mahabharat is an immensly popular Indian series. It has been on my to watch list for ages, but I haven't found the time yet. It has a 9,3/10 on IMDB, which is pretty respectable. Cidade dos Homens is a Brazilian series, a sequel of some sorts to the brilliant masterpiece Cidade de Deus. It's not as good as the film, but it does catch some of the atmosphere.

Gomorra - La Series is a serie by the same guy that also wrote Gomorra (the great Italian mob movie). This is apparantly quite good. I stupidly missed a chance to watch it for free, so when the good reviews came in I was kind of pissed with myself. Another series that came up often in comparison with Gomorra was the mini-series Il capo dei capi. Also about an Italian mob boss.

Some other series I have heard about and which are considered to be great: Heimat - Eine deutsche Chronik, Dekalog, Riget (by Lars Von Trier which means it will probably fuck with your mind), Leyla ile Mecnun (a Turkish comedy) and Ezel (Turkish, it gives me a bit of a Monte Cristo feel).

:D thanks dude.

I love cowboy bebop, I'll check out the rest of them.

ps. The borgias is a show on Netflix from Germany (no Jeremy irons) mad good. Way better then the showtime

I very much enjoyed штрафбат (Shtrafbat) even though there were no subtitles. It is a ten year old Russian mini-series about WW2.

I think there is a newer DVD with subtitles. Thankfully, I had a native speaker and we paused a lot and she would generally explain what was going on ('they're talking about girls' or 'they're plotting to xxxxx' or 'he's being told there will be NKVD troops two miles behind the line and anyone fleeing will be shot').

If a foreign show is just that good, I find it easier to wait until there is a crappy American remake of it to watch...

Blasphemy... :)

It is basically Turkish take on Monte Cristo... It is good... Huge hit in this part of the world...

Now, I recommend everyone watching "Magnificent Century"... If you liked The Tudors, Marco Polo, Borgias etc, this one will seem like the right one for you to watch. It is the show about Sultan Suleiman Magnificent. The plot is hysterical and by the end, you will understand that it is all women's fault. I had to watch it to the end just for the sake of amusement.

gomorra is amazing! fun fact: even if I'm Italian, I had to watch it with subtitles

I very much enjoyed штрафбат (Shtrafbat) even though there were no subtitles. It is a ten year old Russian mini-series about WW2.

I think there is a newer DVD with subtitles. Thankfully, I had a native speaker and we paused a lot and she would generally explain what was going on ('they're talking about girls' or 'they're plotting to xxxxx' or 'he's being told there will be NKVD troops two miles behind the line and anyone fleeing will be shot').

I second this, it was a phenomenal show, for me as an American it was a nice new perspective on WWII

I love WW2 stuff. I'll check it out thanks.

Blasphemy... :)

It is basically Turkish take on Monte Cristo... It is good... Huge hit in this part of the world...

Now, I recommend everyone watching "Magnificent Century"... If you liked The Tudors, Marco Polo, Borgias etc, this one will seem like the right one for you to watch. It is the show about Sultan Suleiman Magnificent. The plot is hysterical and by the end, you will understand that it is all women's fault. I had to watch it to the end just for the sake of amusement.

Who else's fault could it be? :P Sulaiman was my favorite sultan! I think I've seen ads for it on the train. It's on Telemundo?

I'm 2 episodes into Rake (it was on Netflix) maaad fucking funny. Dark though, jokes about cannibals, junkies, statutory incest. I gotta say; Onion knows my sense of humor

Some other series I have heard about and which are considered to be great: [...] Dekalog, Riget (by Lars Von Trier which means it will probably fuck with your mind) [...]

Dekalog is not a tv show. It's the cycle of ten full-length movies, one for each of the ten commandments, made by Krzysztof Kieślowski. They are starred (mostly) by different actors and tell completely different stories. Definitely worth watching though, especially Short Film about Killing (commandment 5) and Short Film about Love (commandment 6).

Riget is indeed very good. And it's a very early Von Trier, so there is not much fucking with anyone's brain, it's just surprisingly and irresistibly funny. Shame it was never finished (due to the deaths of two major characters).

Archived