Foreign shows

Hugorfonics

The Inspector Montalbano television series, a policier set on Sicily, based on the books written by Andrea Camilleri, have all of it: a fine protagonists, ensemble of protagonists social and professional circles, gorgeous location beautifully shot, not to mention the scenes of meals that make one salivate. A quirk of Montalbano is that he so appreciates and reveres fine food that he doesn't like eating with others, not even his lover.

There was also a series titled The Young Montalbano, that shows how all the properties and continuing characters of the older Montalbano arrived in his life, including his career.

The Inspector Montalbano television series, a policier set on Sicily, based on the books written by Andrea Camilleri, have all of it: a fine protagonists, ensemble of protagonists social and professional circles, gorgeous location beautifully shot, not to mention the scenes of meals that make one salivate. A quirk of Montalbano is that he so appreciates and reveres fine food that he doesn't like eating with others, not even his lover.

There was also a series titled The Young Montalbano, that shows how all the properties and continuing characters of the older Montalbano arrived in his life, including his career.

no, please, do not watch this!

You should DEFINITELY watch Kaamelott. It's a French TV show about King Arthur, but the dialogues are very modern and funny. Alexandre Astier, the director and main actor, is one of the brightest minds of France and an extremely talented man in general. This show is beyond cult, it has changed French TV forever and is now deeply inscribed in our popular culture.

One of the easiest extracts to understand for a non-French speaker : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbYE7CTAvFY (all the stuff with the Burgundian King is priceless)

One of the most brilliant and most famous episodes : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kB0JMvKRDs

This one is quite good as well : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFnQrR3c1c4

I'm sure all of this is available with English subtitles somewhere.

It's British, but... I, Claudius... see the thread I just started: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/125972-highly-recommended-for-got-tv-fans-i-claudius/ Highly recommended!

Some other great British Drama series (also older):

The Sandbagers

Danger: UXB <--- WW2

The Prisoner

Sherlock Holmes staring Jeremy Brett <--- DEFINITIVE CLASSIC!

One's i have watched recently and enjoyed:

1 Gomorrah

2 Braquo

3 NICOLAS LE FLOCH

Nicolas Le Floch is Commissaire of the Châtelet in 18th century Paris. Working for the Lieutenant General of Police Antoine de Sartine, and assisted by Inspector Pierre Bourdeau and others, he solves crimes at all levels of Parisian society — including the royal court — while pursuing a complicated love life.

The series is adapted from Jean-François Parot's novels Les Enquêtes de Nicolas Le Floch, commissaire au Châtelet

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone watched Sky's new Italian political thriller “1992" ? Episode 1 aired last night.

The team behind 1992 represents Italy's new creative class. Directed by a talented young voice, Giuseppe Gagliardi, 1992 is a look at Italy’s infamous political upheaval, which ended in the “clean hands” operation that brought the fall of the first republic. In its place came businessmen and media moguls to run the country. Starring Stefano Accorsi, Guido Caprino, Domenico Diele, Miriam Leone, Tea Falco and Alessandro Roja, 1992 follows six ordinary people’s lives to tell the complicated political history in a setup as engaging as Game of Thrones with a ruthlessness straight from House of Cards.

After making a splash at the Berlin Film Festival, Italian corruption TV thriller “1992,” which revolves around Italy’s watershed Clean Hands probe, is scoring strong international sales with deals now closed by Beta Cinema for France (Orange), Spain (Canal Plus), Scandinavia (HBO Nordic) and Benelux (HBO Europe), and a North American pickup deemed imminent.

Produced by expanding Rome shingle Wildside for Rupert Murdoch’s pan-European Sky paybox, the 10-episode skein revolves around six characters tangentially involved in the scandal that swept away Italy’s post-war political establishment, including a cynical ad exec in Silvio Berlusconi’s Publitalia and a showgirl intent on sleeping her way to the top. Their lives are intertwined with the political and societal earthquake.

The innovative TV drama, which mixes fact and fiction, will get a simultaneous airing on March 24 on Sky Italia, Sky U.K., Sky Ireland, Sky Deutschland and Sky Austria, available to more than 20 million subs, which is “the biggest audience in Europe,” boasted Andrea Scrosati, Sky’s content chief in Italy.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/how-skys-1992-political-series-783899

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/italian-corruption-tv-thriller-1992-scores-sales-before-pan-european-airing-on-rupert-murdochs-sky-1201457931/

• 3 months later...

I have started watching the Japanese Drama "Gou: Himatachi Sengoku" which is set between 1569-1615 during the late Sengoku early Edo period.

If you love Game of Thrones, then you will love this, since there are a lot of parallels between the characters.

For instance Cha-Cha is perhaps like GRRM's original intention for Sansa.

Hideyoshi is a combination of Petyr Baelish with a little bit of Tyrion (because he is constantly called 'monkey' by the other characters) also one of the rare instances were an ENF* male is portrayed villainously.

Tokugawa Iyesau is sort of like Tywin Lannister, but funnier and a better manipulator. He doesn't start off as a villain either, but it is gradually revealed/grows.

Actually, when I watch Korean serials I notice this as well: very few characters are truly evil in K-dramas, and it seems J-dramas are the same. I put this down to Mencius's belief that humans being naturally good, though I would have to find a C-drama that is well written enough for me to get past the 2nd episode to confirm.

the heroine Gou, is more naive a than book 1 Sansa as well as being much stupider than the heroines in K-dramas, but is the tomboyish Arya character that is forced to grow up.

Hatsu is cool because she is neither the refined perfect lady like Chacha, nor the outspoken tomboy like Gou. I love how she is always eating sweets and dumplings.

I think Gou's first two husbands represent perfect manhood:

the first (name escapes me, but he is definitely the best looking, like a Japanese Tatanka Means) is good because he doesn't insist on consummation (Gou was historically 12 or 13 when she first married), and holds no resentments when Hideyoshi forces Gou to divorce him.

Toyotomi Hidekatsu is handsome, romantic, kind, a good soldier, who is yet compassionate to the Koreans*.

Hidetada Tokugawa is more like an actual person, with flaws, where love slowly grows between the two.

*As someone who watches so many K-dramas and is familiar with WW2's Pacific theatre I barfed a little at that.

• 8 months later...

SundanceTV Nabs Italian Crime Drama ‘Gomorrah’ From Weinstein Co.

SundanceTV has acquired the first two seasons of Italian crime drama “Gomorrah” from The Weinstein Company. The first 12-episode season is set to premiere on the cable network in summer 2016.

Based on a best-selling book by Roberto Saviano, the series tells the story of the Neapoliton crime organization Camorra. It is told from the perspective of Ciro Di Marzio (Marco D’Amore), the right hand of clan godfather Pietro Savastanno (Fortunato Cerlino).

Watched the first season.Damn good show! Has season 2 aired on Sky yet ?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Borgen, the Danish political drama.  Three seasons, of 30 episodes.  Began in 2010.

Very highly praised in Denmark and Europe, and then Britain, when it showed there.

Finally available on dvd from Netflix. FINALLY!  After it was listed for months on the catalog.

I have Netflix streaming too.  So between the two different services, there's still a lot more ultimately on Netflix still than the other streaming services (at least of what I like to watch -- others have, naturally, other tastes!).  But it takes so damned long sometimes, and some things such as Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, though on the catalog, just never get off the "save" list.

• 3 months later...

Anyone else have any recommendations?

I've started on season 1 of Gomorrah and that is indeed excellent, will continue with that.

I noticed Netflix will start showing this Israeli show called Fauda, about the Israeli-Palestine war.

Looks very interesting, airs on Netflix in December.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4565380/

Just recently watched "THE LAST KING" on Netflix and see its available on DVD/Blueray at Best Buy as well.

I think its a Norwegian production, anyways its just awesome imo. Set in 13th century Norway, supposedely a true story. The mountain scenery is really pleasant and some good action and suspense, stars a certain GOT character you'll recognize from North of the Wall.:D

Archived