Foreign shows

Hugorfonics

By the way, the 2014 season of Gomorrah, an Italian inside-the-mafia drama series is available streaming from netflix now.

The pre-Gomorrah of 2008 has been available streaming for a long time already.

• 3 weeks later...

Some info about new/returning shows in March:

Walter Presents confirms transmission date for German crime drama, Nick’s Law - 3rd March, on All4/Walter Presents

German star and Hollywood actor, Til Schweiger (Inglorious Basterds) stars in Nick’s Law (which kind of sounds like a Cockney crime drama if you didn’t know it comes from Germany). Schweiger plays lone-wolf detective Nick Tschiller in four-part new series, which broke ratings records when it launched in Germany with the best rating in 20 years in the renowned Tatort crime strand.

The story: Moving his family to Hamburg, Tschiller is hoping for a fresh start when he takes up his new role at LKA, the State Criminal Investigation Department, but it doesn’t take long before his all-guns- blazing approach to law enforcement lands him in trouble with the District Attorney Hannah Lennerts (played by Edita Malovcic). Drawn to the most disturbing and unsettling cases, Nick and his new partner Yalcin Gümer (played by Fahri Yardim) find themselves charged with taking down the notorious Astan clan who control Hamburg’s shady underworld. While his work life plunges him deep into the world of violent crime, his home life is also escalating out of control as his marriage teeters at breaking point.

Follow The Money (series 2): Saturday 4th March, 9pm, BBC4

Sky Atlantic confirms Midnight Sun transmission date - 15th March, 10pm, Sky Atlantic

First, the story: Kahina Zadi, (Leïla Bekhti) a French police officer, as she heads to a small mining community in remote northern Sweden to lead an investigation into the murder of a French citizen. With DA Anders Harnesk (Gustaf Hammarsten) to assist her with the local customs, the pair soon discovers the murder is just the tip of the iceberg.

Amazon Prime will be showing a new German series called You Are Wanted on 17th March

The story goes something like this: young hotel manager and family Lukas Franke (Matthias Schweighöfer) is brutally torn out of his everyday life when someone steals his personal data and begins to rewrite his life story. Soon, the BKA suspects him to be a member of a terrorist organisation. Even his wife (Alexandra Maria Lara) begins to doubt him. When his child is finally threatened, it is clear to Luka: he must fight back. He joins forces with Lena Arandt (Karoline Herfurth), also a victim of the hackers. With her help, he tries to find the hackers and reclaim his life. Who is behind the conspiracy? Why do they care about him? He must find the perpetrators to prove his innocence and get his old life back.

Finnish series Bordertown - 31st March on Netflix

Created by Miikko Oikkonen, the story goes something a bit like this: Detective Inspector Kari Sorjonen (Ville Virtanen) is one of the most respected officers at the National Bureau of Investigation in Finland. When his wife barely survives brain cancer, Sorjonen decides to take his family to an idyllic small town near the border of Russia, to live a quiet peaceful life. But how peaceful is life on the border between two worlds? Judging the nature of the show and the relationship between Finland and Russia, not too peaceful.

Some really interesting sounding shows are coming up on Netflix

My picks to watch:

Beau Séjour (Belgium) - Flemish-language supernatural-mystery

Suburra (Italy)

crime thriller based on the novel of the same name by Giancarlo De Cataldo and Carlo Bonini, which itself was inspired by an actual scandal and spawned Suburra the film (currently streaming on Netflix US and UK). The scandal revolved around the criminal battle over Ostia, a seaside town outside of Rome that was being developed as a gambling mecca à la Las Vegas.

Dark (Germany)

The Same Sky (Germany)

The Same Sky is created and written by BAFTA winner Paula Milne (The Politician’s Wife), directed by Oscar® nominee Oliver Hirschbiegel (Five Minutes of Heaven)

Netflix has picked up The Same Sky for its English-language territories. The series will also screen on VRT in Belgium, DR in Denmark, YLE in Finland, France 3 and the SFR streaming platform in France, RUV in Iceland, RAI in Italy, NRK in Norway, and SVT in Sweden

La Catedral del Mar (The Cathedral of the Sea, Spain)

Adapted from the award-winning novel of the same name by Ildefonso Falcones, this historical drama is set in 14th-century Barcelona against the backdrop of the Spanish Inquisition and the construction of the grand Santa Maria del Mar church. It stars Aitor Luna (Velvet), Pablo Derqui (Ventdelplà), and Michelle Jenner (Isabel), amongst others.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2017 at 6:13 AM, AncalagonTheBlack said:

My picks to watch:

Beau Séjour (Belgium) - Flemish-language supernatural-mystery

I mentioned this in the other Watching thread - my wife and I are about 7 episodes in and we really enjoy it.

On 22/3/2017 at 6:42 PM, Week said:

I mentioned this in the other Watching thread - my wife and I are about 7 episodes in and we really enjoy it.

I watched it on Belgian TV. Great series with a strong cast (the lead in particular is a revelation) and with a strong script.

• 4 months later...

Jordskott season 2 - Teaser Trailer

The series, starring Moa Gammel, is back for its second run later this year, and now there’s a trailer.Series 2 takes place two years after the events of series one, and will be set in the city rather than the countryside.

Bron IIII (Broen 4 - The Bridge S.4) - Final Season Trailer

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Babylon Berlin series three confirmed, plotlines revealed

As expected, well-received German crime-drama series Babylon Berlin is coming back for a third season. shooting will begin this fall in Berlin and at other new locations. Director-writer trio Tom Tykwer, Henk Handloegten and Achim von Borries are currently working on the scripts for ten new episodes, based on Volker Kutscher’s second Gereon Rath novel The Silent Death.

The new season will pick up in the early 1930s when the talkies start conquering the big screen, leaving many by the wayside: producers, cinema owners – and silent film stars. Inspector Gereon Rath encounters the dark side of the industry when one of the big stars is found dead. Emerging talents Volker Bruch (Generation War) and Liv Lisa Fries (The Wave) will renew their roles.

• 2 months later...
On 3/11/2017 at 3:13 PM, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Dark (Germany)

La Catedral del Mar (The Cathedral of the Sea, Spain)

Adapted from the award-winning novel of the same name by Ildefonso Falcones, this historical drama is set in 14th-century Barcelona against the backdrop of the Spanish Inquisition and the construction of the grand Santa Maria del Mar church. It stars Aitor Luna (Velvet), Pablo Derqui (Ventdelplà), and Michelle Jenner (Isabel), amongst others.

Mmm, interesting.

I've been recommended watching Dark, but have not seen it yet.

As for La Catedral del Mar, I've watched it, and despite not being a masterpiece it's quite entertaining and covers lots of genres in a way that doesn't feel forced.  Furthermore, it tells a story that lasts lots of decades (until the Cathedral is finished), which is always good. The actors are all very good there (especially Pablo Derqui and Josep Maria Pou, and Aitor Luna does a great job as well). You also get to see the lives of very different people in Medieval ages.

Nevertheless, I'd avise that it's quite dark sometimes. If you're very sensitive towards certain topics and you just expect Medieval fairy tales it's definitely not your show. The ending was quite compelling.

I've not read the book, but it is said that the adaption is faithful, it's just 8 episodes IIRC though. 

The soundtrack and costumes are quite good as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived