(Spoilers) Vikings Season 3 discussion thread

Mark Antony

Great last episode ! One of the best of the series !

The dialogue between Ecbert and Ragnar was the highlight of the episode of course, but there were so many other great things !

The reactions of the guests to Kwenthrith poisoning her brothers (as many have already said) were gold !

Ragnar playing off with a Saxon helmet and the almost confession (behind bars) dialogue with Athlestan.

And all the dynamics, that feast was a tremendous scene, full of little interractions here and there that were all either hilarious, fascinating or threatening.

RiP Siggy. It was a very poetic scene. I can understand the complaints about being too wtf-ish, but I personally find that scene very oniric and haunting.

Must admit I dont really care so far about the Baddies Alliance at Hedeby, unless Kalf turns out to have planned it all out with Lagertha...

It was interesting to see King Aelle back.

Ragnar is the King of Sass.

Loved Siggy, and will miss her.

I actually thought it was a beautiful scene, but at first, I didn't know what was happening with the kids. So, it was all an illusion to bring her out and kill her, the only one who knew what was going on?

Her exit interview is a little ambiguous.

Also, Floki now has the goods on Athelstan. He is taking that info. to the bank, which will probably get Judith killed also.

Edit: So, is the Wanderer supposed to be Loki, or who?

I actually thought it was a beautiful scene, but at first, I didn't know what was happening with the kids. So, it was all an illusion to bring her out and kill her, the only one who knew what was going on.

Also, Floki now has the goods on Athelstan. He is taking that info. to the bank, which will probably get Judith killed also.

Was it an illusion. I thought it was real, and that at least she went out a hero.

Was it an illusion. I thought it was real, and that at least she went out a hero.

No, you are correct, the kids really were on the ice, so they can say what happened to her.

But, is the Wanderer supposed to be Loki, or another god?

I kind of thought Floki was sort of Lokis personification.

This was a great episode. RIP Siggy. Her death was confusing at first but I liked it and I didn't recognize her daughter at first. Who or what is Harbard? That can't be the last time we see him. Ragnar is AWESOME!!!! He had laughing the whole episode. I loved when Ecbert's son put his arm around Ragnar and he said "I don't like you" and it was hilarious when he was wearing that helmet at the party. I just don't get why Ragnar didn't kill Horrick's son. It was sad to see how bad Porrun was hurt.

That interview is interesting; the idea that Siggy's two young boys were found dead and the culprit never discovered makes one wonder if the same thing happened back then -- stranger comes to town, grants a wish, sleeps with the Earl's wife, takes two lives as payment for something. But the brutality of their deaths suggest a more mundane explanation.

I actually thought it was a beautiful scene, but at first, I didn't know what was happening with the kids. So, it was all an illusion to bring her out and kill her, the only one who knew what was going on?

Her exit interview is a little ambiguous.

Edit: So, is the Wanderer supposed to be Loki, or who?

How did Floki get "the goods" on Athelstan - I assume you mean Athelstan's affair with Judith? I think I missed that bit. I'm finding Floki's hatred of Athelstan and most Christians tiresome; he's becoming quite xenophobic, fanatic against anything not-Viking.

How did Floki get "the goods" on Athelstan - I assume you mean Athelstan's affair with Judith? I think I missed that bit. I'm finding Floki's hatred of Athelstan and most Christians tiresome; he's becoming quite xenophobic, fanatic against anything not-Viking.

During the feast when Athelstan and Judith sneaked out and kissed, the camera moved to show someone listening on them. It was Floki.

That interview is interesting; the idea that Siggy's two young boys were found dead and the culprit never discovered makes one wonder if the same thing happened back then -- stranger comes to town, grants a wish, sleeps with the Earl's wife, takes two lives as payment for something. But the brutality of their deaths suggest a more mundane explanation.

Yeah it was a pretty good interview.

Decent episode. I liked seeing Lagertha call the King out, all you care about is yourself, nice to see her strength again. Until then she seemed to be swooning over him.

Floki to me got tiresome last season. If he has an issue with what they are doing and why they are going there then he should stay home.

Ragnar's honesty is too funny. Your brother is weak and will be your down fall! I don't like you!

Liked the poisoning of her brother at the feast in full view and without shame. She established her ruthlesness for all to see.

RIP, Siggy. May you and your true husband and children meet in Valhalla.

From what at first appeared a character of all scheming, perhaps even a witch, she became a heroine, as much as Lagertha. I loved that it was Aslaug neglecting her duties and obligations as queen in Kattegat that so appalled Siggy. She knew intimately what the consequences of such neglect are.

I never liked Aslaug. Now, less than ever.

Athelstan, that was a smart decision. Do not allow Ecbert to talk you out of it! Staying in Wessex will kill you and a whole lot of other people . . . . No one schemes better than Ecbert, unless, perhaps, Ragnar. What long play is Ecbert strategizing here, pimping out his d-i-l to a Saxon with a heart divided between Jesus and Odin? That's ... creepy. I'd like to respect you, Ecbert, but you're not helping me so far.

Ragnar, behind a screen, wearing a helmet from what group? Not a northman's helmet surely? Watching and observing Athelston, like a priest in the confessional ... that was very good, because that's how Ragnar's increasingly seen by us even at home in Kattegat: on the periphery, semi-concealed from the group-in-action, watching, observing and thinking.

Why in heck did Ragnar ever allow Horick's son to live? We wondered then, and we wonder now. I do hope Bjorn goes with Lagertha when she goes home.

Lagertha never came near to swooning over Ecbert as someone said. She was flattered by his attention, and, as she tells him, she enjoyed his company and the sex they shared, but she never lost her head, even remotely. She never even looked like she was swooning. She is also getting a bit of a laugh that Ragnar's at least somewhat jealous because he has to see his ex-wife responding to the attentions of another man -- and he's no moral, ethical or legal ground on which to object to those attentions being paid. HaHaHa, Ragnar, you, who smirkingly proposed that two women share me as co-wives and live blissfully ever after . . . . Yet, whenever you have really needed something desperately, she has been there for you, and continues to be there for you, i.e. -- that farming settlement. What a GREAT person she is.

Watching the episode finally! Some notes and passing thoughts as I go

--If I haven't expressed my undying love for the opening theme song in awhile, let me do so now. GAH. So good.

--HOLY SHIT HER FACE

--"We cannot fight everyone. There must be cooperation." Thank GOD for Rollo

--What the actual fuck.....? Um. Why is Kwin peeing on Ragnar???

--Oh dear Auslaug...no

--Apple Bottom! Oh my!

--Kwin is a bit....Cersei, yes?

--Ragnar is a BAMF. "I would not fear to met the god [Odin] face to face"

--Lagertha telling it like it is!

--OMGOSH. (the woman Siggy is seeing while she is in the lake...is that her dead daughter? I feel like it is.) This is gorgeously shot, even if I have a bad feeling about it all.

--Oh :( Goodbye Siggy. (also, this Stranger guy--Harbard?--is seriously weird)

--HOLY SHIT HER FACE PART DEUX

--Love this conversation between Ecbert and Ragnar

--Horik's son and Earl Borg's son. (I find this part of the plot to be underwhelming)

--Dude. She just poisoned him in front of everyone?! This chick is rather unhinged. (LOL at Ragnar and Ecbert's face afterwards. Like, "bitch be crazy, yo")

--HAHAHAHAHAH at them all pouring out their drinks

--"Who are you?" Harbard has to be a god of some sort, right? Is he Odin?

Overall: this was a pretty decent episode. Rather dark and supernatural.

Archived