...this close to the Kingslayurrgh - a curtailed Theon

Slender Aimry Hill

Interesting question. If, and that's a huge if, Balon could leave the idiot ball at home, then it could indeed be a game changer. I've argued before that once ned was dead robb should have delivered jaime to balon with theon. Balon responds to strength and Jaime's head would show robb means business. Theon being dead would only make balon more angry but hopefully swing it towards the west

Do you have a quote from the books about this? I honestly can't remember Tywin ever saying something nice about Balon. Closet I can think of is Tywin being happy that Balon was nice enough to weaken the Starks for him, without House Lannister having to give the Iron Islands anything in return.

Ser Kevan Lannister cleared his throat. "As regards the Starks . . . Balon Greyjoy, who now styles himself King of the Isles and the North, has written to us offering terms of alliance."

"He ought to be offering fealty," snapped Cersei. "By what right does he call himself king?"

"By right of conquest," Lord Tywin said. "King Balon has strangler's fingers round the Neck. Robb Stark's heirs are dead, Winterfell is fallen, and the ironmen hold Moat Cailin, Deepwood Motte, and most of the Stony Shore. King Balon's longships command the sunset sea, and are well placed to menace Lannisport, Fair Isle, and even Highgarden, should we provoke him."

Ser Kevan Lannister cleared his throat. "As regards the Starks . . . Balon Greyjoy, who now styles himself King of the Isles and the North, has written to us offering terms of alliance."

"He ought to be offering fealty," snapped Cersei. "By what right does he call himself king?"

"By right of conquest," Lord Tywin said. "King Balon has strangler's fingers round the Neck. Robb Stark's heirs are dead, Winterfell is fallen, and the ironmen hold Moat Cailin, Deepwood Motte, and most of the Stony Shore. King Balon's longships command the sunset sea, and are well placed to menace Lannisport, Fair Isle, and even Highgarden, should we provoke him."

I'm confused? Everything Tywin is stating is true, it's not exactly a compliment.

I'm confused? Everything Tywin is stating is true, it's not exactly a compliment.

It's a shame I have to spell it out. He considers Balon a threat. He might have easily dismissed the IB invasion like so many Stark fans do, but he recognizes them as a threat. Also notice how he refers to Balon as King and not Robb in that scene.

It's a shame I have to spell it out. He considers Balon a threat. He might have easily dismissed the IB invasion like so many Stark fans do, but he recognizes them as a threat. Also notice how he refers to Balon as King and not Robb in that scene.

If he respected Balon so much, why didn't he accept his offer for an alliance? Oh, right, because the dumbass was helping Tywin for free: "Why should we pay for what he has given us for free?"

If he respected Balon so much, why didn't he accept his offer for an alliance? Oh, right, because the dumbass was helping Tywin for free: "Why should we pay for what he has given us for free?"

Stannis respected Robbs bravery, but didn't offer an alliance. You're letting you're hatred cloud your judgement, Jon.

Nope. He was right to attack the Starks. But he should have declared for Joffrey first.

If he didn't want independence which he did attacking the Starks for the crown is good and safe balon would likely be rewarded attacking the north for independence who also want independence and an alliance is not a great idea.

He also wanted revenge.

He is justified in his fuck you Starks agenda so say he attacks the Starks for the crown then via letter asks for some of the west coast of the north and bear island since being traitors The Lord there should lose there land gets his revenge and land for the islands attacking the north for independence makes no sense whoever wins in the south will come for you and will outnumber you.

Tywin viewed just about everyone of the 4 kings he was up against as a threat. I mean all of them were more or less, though some were greater threats than others.

Archived