Animated adaption of ASOIAF almost happened

aFeastForDragons

I actually think it would have been better as it means budget isn't as big as an issue. Like Lord of the Rings animated, they are able to do battles with a limited budget using different techniques

LOL, no. It would have been much, much worse. They have yet to master the art of adult cartoons in this country- they are still relegated to 'kids' stuff' by the general population. And budget would have been an even bigger issue because it wouldn't have been a popular show on a network willing to push out money to make it better.

Basically, I don't see how it would have been anything but a short-lived disaster. In any case, there's already a cartoon version of ASOIAF in graphic novel form...and it's in the same pulp style I imagine the show would have been in.

There are certain stories to which the medium of animation is better suited, just not ASOIF. The emphasis is on human drama, you need real actors to portray that.

You have obviously not seen "The Grave of the Fireflies".

Don't watch it if you're faint of heart. I remember, after a friend watched it, he just told me, "I feel like someone just kicked me on the balls". It's a very hard-to-watch movie.

LOL, no. It would have been much, much worse. They have yet to master the art of adult cartoons in this country- they are still relegated to 'kids' stuff' by the general population. And budget would have been an even bigger issue because it wouldn't have been a popular show on a network willing to push out money to make it better.Basically, I don't see how it would have been anything but a short-lived disaster. In any case, there's already a cartoon version of ASOIAF in graphic novel form...and it's in the same pulp style I imagine the show would have been in.

Funny coming from the bbw. I have seen a few adult anime and some dick jokes on adult swim or American Dad.

Young adults love cartoons, it coulda been mad cool. Every POV having a different artist.

And hbo doesn't throw as much money as they could, hence being a ten ep season

ps.

100!

I think an animated adaptation would have been quite groundbreaking, considering the subjects GoT deals with.

There is currently a project by a French/Japanese animation house, The Two Queens, which also deals with mature subjects like murder and sex.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wpop92BuDLY

http://www.the2queens.com/

I was going to say no way, it would never work as an animated series and certainly not as an anime... but then I watched that video and wow, that is very much like Game of Thrones (in fact it almost seems GoT inspired) and that style would work perfectly!

Of course there are pros and cons to this, some things would work well with animation, some not so much. The diversity of the cast would be completely lost because no human hand could hope to mimic that. Battle scenes wouldn't look as impressive if they weren't real. But in animation we could at least get Targaryens with actual purple eyes. In many ways it would be easier for the animated show to stay loyal to the books. But overall, I prefer live action. So much more nuances. So much more realistic.

However, it would be interesting to see some parts of ASOIAF actually turned into animation. Maybe some small individual tales like Dunk&Egg...

Imo, but only through animation ASOIAF can reach its full adaptive potential (or a gajillion dollar budget TV series, and still it would meet impossible limitations like casting, where it's just impossible to cast actors perfectly with the book descriptions). Obviously such an animation will need to have a right director, right writer, style etc. But if everything is right, I think the animated ASOIAF would be magnificent.

Archived