AGoT Reread- Eddard

Barba

Eddard (XI)

Introduced: Ser Karyl Vance (later Lord of Wayfarer's Rest, bannerman to the Tullys);

Ser Marq Piper (knight sworn to Riverrun);

Joss (a brewer);

Ser Arys Oakheart* (Kingsguard of King Robert and later King Joffrey; youngest son of Lady Arwyn Oakheart; later sent as Myrcella’s sworn sword, later still falls in love with Princess Arianne Martell dishonoring his vow as a Kingsguard);

Porther* (guardsman of the Hand);

Ser Gladden Wylde*, Lord Lothar Mallery* (men sent by Lord Eddard to accompany Lord Beric Dondarrion).

Three knights sworn to Riverrun come to the King for justice, but with Robert hunting, the Hand sits on the throne to pass judgement. Ser Karyl Vance, Ser Marq Piper and Ser Raymun Darry bring evidence of a Lannister raid on two villages under the protection of Riverrun. The brigands burned the villages, slaughtering near everyone and even the livestock. The knights swear it was Ser Gregor Clegane, and the survivors support this with a description of the man. The knights tell the council that Ser Edmure Tully has dispersed men to guard all the holdfasts in the protection of Riverrun. But Ned thinks to himself this may be exactly what Lord Tywin wants, to bleed off the strength of Riverrun as Edmure scatters his swords. The little council is not sure, but Ned is, and passes judgment against Ser Gregor, stripping him of his knighthood, titles, and lands, and sentences him to death in the name of the King. When Ser Loras Tyrell asks for the honor of slaying Ser Gregor, Ned denies him, saying that the goal was justice, not vengeance. Ned chooses Lord Beric Dondarrion to lead, and commands Thoros of Myr to accompany him, along with 20 men of Winterfell. Varys approaches Ned afterward, telling him he should have sent Ser Loras, as 'a man who is an enemy of the Lannisters would do well to make the Tyrells his friends'. Varys also tells him it was a slight not to send Ser Ilyn Payne since he is the King’s Justice, but Ned would not send a Lannister man to kill a Lannister bannerman.

Eddard (XII)

Pycelle informs Ned that Lord Tywin is wroth with him for sending men to bring Ser Gregor to justice. Ned knows Pycelle is the Queen’s creature, and doesn’t care. Littlefinger pays a visit, and tells Ned that the King continues to hunt, now after a fierce boar. Most of the hunting party returned, including Joff and the Hound. Littlefinger leaves, and Ned calls in Fat Tom, now in command of the Hand’s guard with Jory dead and Alyn gone, and asks him to take him to the godswood. There, Ned tells Tom to find the Queen and invite her to join him. When Cersei arrives, Ned tells her he knows what Jon Arryn died for. We learn that all three children are Ser Jaime’s. Cersei admits that Bran had been pushed after he had seen them making love. She tells Ned why she hates Robert, because he had called her ‘Lyanna’ the first night they made love after being married.

Cersei then offers Ned the chance to remain Hand for Joffrey if he will remain silent, and even comes on to him, touching his leg. When Ned asks her if she made the same offer to Jon Arryn, she slaps him. Ned makes it known to her that he intends to tell the King, and warns her to leave King’s Landing, maybe take ship to the Free Cities, along with her children, brothers and father to escape Robert’s wrath. Cersei laughs at him, and tells him he was a fool not to take the throne for himself 14 years back when he forced Jaime off the throne. Ned tells her he has made many mistakes in his life, but that was not one of them. Cersei replies that it was, because "When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die. There is no middle ground."

I've often wondered what the results would have been, had Eddard sent Loras to kill Gregor... Gregor, under orders already from Tywin (and unaware of Eddard's injury), would have ambushed Loras' party... perhaps Loras would've survived, or been revived by Thoros. But I doubt the BwB would've formed. As for the Lannisters, it wouldn't have been a good result in any case...

Here are couple of thoughts about these two:

Eddard XI

- "Iron throne killed as man, if stories could be belived": I wonder who it was. Was it the king, the Hand, or someone else?

- I find it difficuld I never noticed before how Pycelle defends Lannisters. I wonder why?

Eddard XII

Grand Maester Malleon recorded the last mating between stag and lion, some ninety years ago, when Tya Lannister wed Gowen Baratheon, third son of the reigning lord.
- Was this Gowen brouher to Lyonel Baratheon, Laughting Storm from The Hedge Knight? And I've heard that 3rd D&E novel will be at the wedding. Could it be the wedding?

Eddard (XIII)

Introduced: Cayn* (guardsman of the Hand of the King);

Ser Preston Greenfield* (Kingsguard of King Robert and later King Joffrey).

The King’s steward wakes Ned, telling him the King demands his presence. When Ned reaches Maegor’s Holdfast, he finds Kingsguard guarding the bridge, and inside the royal apartments, Robert Baratheon lies dying, gutted by the boar. Robert had called off everyone to try to take the boar himself, but he had drunken a great amount of wine. Robert tells Ned to write his final testament, naming Ned Protector of the Realm and Lord Regent until his heir comes of age. Ned changes that part, but he does not have the heart to tell the King that the children are not his. Outside, Varys asks Ser Barristan who gave Robert all the wine, and the Lord Commander tells them it was the King’s squire, Lancel Lannister. As Ned is helped across the bridge by Tomard and Cayn, Lord Renly asks for a moment. Renly tells Ned he has 100 swords to offer him, and if they strike now, they can take the Red Keep, seizing Cersei and the children (in my opinion, this is the turning point in the novel).

Ned denies him, stating Robert is still alive, and he will not shed blood in the castle. Renly leaves, and Ned returns to his Tower, commanding Tomard to take 20 men to guard his daughters on the ship that leaves on the morrow, and tells Tom to deliver a letter to Lord Stannis, for his eyes only. The letter offers the throne to Stannis as the rightful heir. Ned sends for Littlefinger, telling him he knows the secret that Jon Arryn died for, but Littlefinger obviously knew the secret all along. He tells Littlefinger that he intends to offer the throne to Stannis, but Baelish tells him he is a fool if he does not bow to Joffrey. Stannis will cause the realm to bleed, as he will seek the heads of Cersei and the children, the Lords Tyrell and Redwyne for the siege of Storm’s End, and even Lord Balon Greyjoy for his uprising. Ned tells him he will offer the throne to Stannis, as he is honor-bound to do so. Ned asks Littlefinger to secure him the City Watch in order to secure the succession, to which Baelish agrees to pay off the Watch Commander and his men.

Thoughts:

- Lot of connection with Lyanna's death:

- 3 Kingsguards

- smell of blood & death

- Promise me, Ned

- LF, in one way, stood with ned by this moment. after this chapter he knew Ned is lost case. I think that here he decided to abandon him

“Lord Baelish, what you suggest is treason.â€

“Only if we lose.â€

One of my favorite lines in the book

Here are couple of thoughts about these two:

Eddard XI

- "Iron throne killed as man, if stories could be belived": I wonder who it was. Was it the king, the Hand, or someone else?

I think, from information in subsequent books, it's supposed to be Maegor the Cruel.

- I find it difficuld I never noticed before how Pycelle defends Lannisters. I wonder why?

Eddard XII

I thought Pycelle was just Cersei's toady until ACoK when he tells Tyrion that he's the one who talked Aerys II into opening the gates to Tywin just before the Sack of King's Landing.

- Was this Gowen brouher to Lyonel Baratheon, Laughting Storm from The Hedge Knight? And I've heard that 3rd D&E novel will be at the wedding. Could it be the wedding?

That would be very cool. :)

Eddard (XIV)

Ned has convened the small council right after hearing that King Robert had died. He learns to his dismay that Lord Renly has left the city, along with Ser Loras and all their retainers. Ned had counted on Renly’s support. He has Ser Barristan read the King’s writ naming Ned Protector of the Realm, but the King’s steward arrives telling them that King Joffrey and the Queen command their presence in the throne room. Ned knew Cersei would strike, but not so fast. The small council arrives before the throne, and Ned has Varys deliver the King’s writ to Cersei. The Queen tears it up, saying the realm has a new King now. She tells Ned to bend the knee before Joffrey and he’ll be allowed to return to Winterfell. Ned then states that Joffrey has no right to the throne and that Stannis is the true heir. When swords are drawn, Ned tells Janos Slynt to have his Gold Cloaks take the Queen and her children into custody. But the City Watch turn on Ned’s men, killing them. Littlefinger takes the dagger from Ned’s belt and holds it to his throat, telling him, "I did warn you not to trust me, you know."

Rereading this chapter is so frustrating. You know Ned is already screwed because he warned Cercei in the Godswood and refused Renly's offer and instead relied on LF.

LF has a lot of balls. He's the one who helps Ned from the Tower of the Hand to the Red Keep. When you read this for the first time, you're lulled into a false sense of security by this.

There are several chapters that stand out as being *really* painful to read. This is certainly one of them. As a reader, you understand why Eddard did the things he did, and you can stand behind his actions as being the upright and moral approach. And then you see where it gets him, and you just *wish* he did something different. Grrrr.

Straight-forward chapter, with very important plot development.

Comments on Littlefinger: While first reading the book I hated him. Now, I can see that he didn't betray Ned until the end. Even here, he smiles sadly before saying that last line. Guy figured Ned had no hope.

• 3 weeks later...

Eddard (XV)

Ned has been imprisoned for quite some time, and is starving and feverish from his leg injury. Ned remembers when he was 18 at the tourney at Harrenhal, when Rhaegar won the tourney. Ned remembers ‘the moment when all the smiles died’, as Rhaegar rode past his own wife and bestowed the queen of beauty’s laurel on Lyanna. It was a crown of winter roses. Varys finally comes to Ned in the guise he wore when Arya saw him beneath the Red Keep with Illyrio. Varys tells him that Arya escaped and that Tyrion is no longer a captive of Catelyn’s. When Ned tells Varys to slit his throat, the Spider tells Ned that is the last thing he wants. Varys admits he serves the realm and was desperate to keep King Robert alive.

Varys also informs Ned that Lancel gave Robert the wine when he took on the boar, but it was Ned’s telling Cersei that he knew her secret that doomed Robert. Varys tells Ned that if he bends the knee and admits his guilt, he will be allowed to take the black. Ned considers the thought of going to the Wall and being with Jon Snow, and ‘the thought of Jon filled Ned with a sense of shame, and a sorrow too deep for words’. Ned asks Varys if he is in league with Littlefinger, but Varys tells him that he feeds Baelish with choice whispers so that he thinks Varys is his, just as he allows Cersei to believe he is hers. Varys warns Ned that if he does not admit his guilt to Cersei, his daughter’s life is at stake as much as his own.

Reading Ned's chapters is so frustrating! I've read the series once before, and I'm doing a reread now. The first time I read it, I had no idea what I was getting into. I thought Ned was gonna pull through. Now as I reread it, I see each decision that Ned makes that is going to bring him to his doom, and it makes me want to throw the book against the wall and shout nasty things about some people (such as LF). Which is to say that they are very well written chapters!

It is my hope that Ned's story arc (and Robb's, but since he wasn't a POV, not as much) is the worst for the Starks. Not that I think it'll end happily ever after for them, but their lots will end up being a little better than his and Robb's. Because we started out with Ned's demise, followed by Robb's, even if things don't end up really well for the rest of the Starks, we as readers will kind of see it as good by comparison. I don't know if I'm making any sense here, so nevermind.

It IS very frustrating rereading Ned's chapters. By Ned XV, fortunately, all of his bad decisions have already been made.

There has been a lot of speculation about whether or not Ned ever wrote a letter and gave it to Varys to deliver to Jon. After rereading this chapter, I don't think Ned ever wrote a letter. Ned thinks that he will end up at the Wall himself, so there would be no reason to write a letter.

The end of the chapter where Varys suggests that Sansa would be killed if Ned does not confess brings to mind Littlefinger's comment in AFFC: (paraphrasing) A man will do things for his children that he would never think about doing for himself. Littlefinger said it a lot better than me.

Is this the first reference to the Tournament at Harrenhal that we see? It's amazing how important that tournament is turning out to be. We see the association of roses with Lyanna again.

• 1 year later...

I think it's amazingly fun how George Martin shows how all of Ned Stark's complete lack of political guile is also mixed up with a lot of genuine ignorance. He considers Jamie Lannister a man that wishes to sit on the throne but has completely misjudged the man. Bizarrely, Jamie Lannister is willing to toss a kid off the top of a building but he's utterly uninterested in being a King.

Furthermore, he treats Cersei with a reasonably light hand but she's the most dangerous Lannister of them all.

• 6 months later...

This thread is so old I may be writing it for myself:

I've reread the GoT maybe 7 times, the later books each one less time. Over time it has not become any easier to re-read the downfall of Eddard Stark. However, the bits and pieces of his story are background to so much that follows.

I first read it on the old board -- it wasn't my original thought -- I've bought into the R+L = Jon theory and here's why:

We know that the war starts because R steals L. We know that she dies and makes Ned promise (something). We know she dies in a bed of blood. I wondered why when Ned finally arrives at Summerhall he finds 3 members of the Kingsguard waiting for him: Hightower, Dayne and Whent. Why were they there? Ned says in his dream that he expected to find them at the Trident, at Kings Landing, at Storm's End, but they were not there.

The Kingsguard is at Summerhall to guard Rhaegar's child. I don't know why it would require 3 knights, but what other reason is there? I suppose that they could have been sent to kill Lyanna (in her bed of blood), but I don't think 3 would be required, and killing her doesn't seem plausible. Who want's her dead?

All of the secrecy surrounding the mother of Ned's bastard son, even the story of Edric (?), Beric's squire, about his wet nurse, can be explained away and doesn't refute the R+L = Jon theory. Ned would have to hide the Targ connection from everyone, because Robert is shown to desire the death of any of the "dragonspawn." Would Robert have killed Lyanna's son? "Promise me," says Lyanna.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

You know, this chapter makes me think. Was Varys making an effort to do what he later does with Tyrion, and smuggle him out of King's Landing to serve his purposes (and Daenerys Targaryen's) elsewhere? Certainly Ned would bring his own advantages; I think some of the background implies that he was a decent leader of troops, if not a great political manipulator.

He tries to be very helpful to Ned throughout the book, by slipping him hints and the like about what is going on. He then manages to convince him to not get himself and Sansa killed by confessing, and when Joffrey gets impulsive and demands his head, he runs over trying to stop the thing. That's a lot of effort for a man who is going to just end up on the Wall.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
Ned is trying to persuade Robert against sending men to kill Dany, after learning of her pregnancy from Varys. Robert wants every Targaryen dead, and gets very angry at Ned’s resistance. ...Ned, disgusted, tells Robert to do it himself, then resigns from office as Hand, and leaves the room,

When i re-read this chapter, Ned's intensity seemed slightly out of place to me. Seems to support the R+L=J theory. Ned is associating Robert's hatred of Targaryens with Jon (and to himself for protecting Jon) and is therefore MUCH more defensive than he might be if it were really just daenerys they were talking about. Circumstantial at best, but still an interesting thought.

It's also amazing to me how naive Ned seems in hindsight. I thought he was so smart and such a great leader the first time thru. He's almost a bumbling idiot compared to the real players like littlefinger and tyrion.

When i re-read this chapter, Ned's intensity seemed slightly out of place to me. Seems to support the R+L=J theory. Ned is associating Robert's hatred of Targaryens with Jon (and to himself for protecting Jon) and is therefore MUCH more defensive than he might be if it were really just daenerys they were talking about. Circumstantial at best, but still an interesting thought.

It's also amazing to me how naive Ned seems in hindsight. I thought he was so smart and such a great leader the first time thru. He's almost a bumbling idiot compared to the real players like littlefinger and tyrion.

Rofl, I first read GoT in like Middle School, and Ned seemed like the greatest guy ever, when I reread it this summer, i was like, my god, this dude's out of his league.

Archived