A nice way to say...

Arkhangel

The volunteer organisation I'm involved with needs to have a website which is both functional and professional looking online by the end of the week. I'll be working on it remotely with a guy I've never met. He's been working on the site for a while, and seems to think it's pretty much finished. I've just had a look at it this morning, and to put it gently, it does not look professional. At all. I think we'll have to start from scratch.

Since building a whole new site in a week just isn't realistically going to happen, I'm thinking the best course of action is for us to build a temporary Wordpress site (there are some beautiful free/cheap themes these days) to use for at least the next month, which will carry us through the big event we have coming up at the end of March.

I'm not sure what the best way to explain, nicely, to this person I've never met that I think we need to shelve their work. Any suggestions?

I'm sure I'm not the only person looking for tactful ways to say something, so please feel free to chime in if you would also like some advice on how not to step on any toes.

I would be blunt and tell them you dont think it looks good. Say something like, the content is all there, I just think we need to work on the look/feel. I do that all the time when my coworkers bring stuff to me. I'll be encouraging and say things like, this is a good first start and then i completely revamp it to get it up to my perfect standards :)

It might be a good idea to come armed with a prototype to show what you had in mind for the new roll out. I'd also get some backing from whoever else has influence in the organization. You'll look bad if you push this and you have no backing (although i suspect they are probably deferring to you anyway). Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been there before, when you need a we site it is best to pay for it or you get stuck with the practical and lay-out ideas of someone else and they will not necessarily be good ...

I would also be blunt and look up stuff and examples about how it should look, like similar organizations. So that it is not just your opinion but you have some research.

Always ask why he likes it that way, he probably has a reason for why it looks as it looks and there might be something in it. Then you can say 'that is great but we might just slightly change the feel' ...

Archived