Small Questions v. 10098

Rhaenys_Targaryen

What did Tyrion do with the books he borrowed from the Winterfell Library. I don't remember any mention of those rare volumes on Tyrion's return trip. Or what happened to the books.

AGoT, Chapter 13 - Tyrion II

On the eighteenth night of their journey, the wine was a rare sweet amber from the Summer Isles that he had brought all the way north from Casterly Rock, and the book a rumination on the history and properties of dragons. With Lord Eddard Stark’s permission, Tyrion had borrowed a few rare volumes from the Winterfell library and packed them for the ride north.

Were they left at the wall? or is it just assumed that he brought them back upon his return to Winterfell?

What did Tyrion do with the books he borrowed from the Winterfell Library. I don't remember any mention of those rare volumes on Tyrion's return trip. Or what happened to the books.

AGoT, Chapter 13 - Tyrion II

Were they left at the wall? or is it just assumed that he brought them back upon his return to Winterfell?

I don't think we know. He will either have dropped them off at Winterfell, or had been planning to take them to KL to give to Ned... Dropping them off at Winterfell seems most logical.

Why leave them at the Wall? He had borrowed them, he wasn't given them. And Benjen wasn't present to give them back to. If for some reason he did leave them at the Wall, they might now be in Oldtown, thanks to Aemon.. but again, I highly doubt that the books would be left at CB.

Already lords. Lord of Dragonstone and Storms End is much more prestigious then Prince.

When Robert became king Stannis was not Lord of DS and Renly was not Lord of SE. It might be a shift in protocol post-Targaryens or an oversight by GRRM. It is odd because Stannis is Lord of DS, but then Joffrey is not Prince of DS.

A lord is not more prestigious than a prince.

I figure it was just an oversight by GRRM. Stannis and Renly were both grown men with their own land and accomplishments by the time the story starts in AGOT. Perhaps calling them "Princes" might make them seem lesser or more boyish when compared to being called Lord. Plus they were already lords when Robert became king.

Moon tea is supposed to be a poisonous mix... Assuming that GRRM uses real-life tansy for his tansy substance in the moon tea. Look at Hoster what happens when you drink too much of it.

I suppose Lysa was too far in her pregnancy. According to my knowledge of herbal abortive potions (that are a bit popular around here...), you can't use it past three or four months, mostly because they don't work (not that they 100% work). Considering that many ladies take MT the next day, I suppose Hoster wanted to be 100% sure Lysa won't remain pregnant and gave her a more potent mix.

Already lords. Lord of Dragonstone and Storms End is much more prestigious then Prince.

I figure it was just an oversight by GRRM. Stannis and Renly were both grown men with their own land and accomplishments by the time the story starts in AGOT. Perhaps calling them "Princes" might make them seem lesser or more boyish when compared to being called Lord. Plus they were already lords when Robert became king.

What about Maekar, then?

Also, pretty much every other Targaryen was called a Prince, even Egg, who was fourth son of a fourth son.

Doesn't Prince only apply to the sons of a King ? That's the case for Maekar, but not for Stannis and Renly.

At least in the case of the Targaryens, it seems every person of royal blood was called a prince or princess. Considering they all are inbreeds, even the cousins are actually brothers or sisters... so... ok, it's complicated.

Maekar was the son of a King, yet, his sons were called princes too, despite the actual heirs were Baelor's sons and their children (which I'm not sure they already had by the time of THK.

legit question:

Whats the point of Bran doing what he's doing, exactly. Yes, to connect and see things....but then what?

Further, is Bloodraven/Bran hoping to stop/kill the Others as a whole? Or are they looking to mediate/possibly come to agreement?

I figured that because the Starks were once a line of Kings, Bran and Rickon were called Princes.. Because House Baratheon wasn't a line of Kings (descending from Orys, a bastard), Stannis and Renly didn't automatically become Princes.

I suppose Lysa was too far in her pregnancy. According to my knowledge of herbal abortive potions (that are a bit popular around here...), you can't use it past three or four months, mostly because they don't work (not that they 100% work). Considering that many ladies take MT the next day, I suppose Hoster wanted to be 100% sure Lysa won't remain pregnant and gave her a more potent mix.

I figured that Hoster, wanting to be extra certain (perhaps because, as you say, she was already pregnant for some time, though she can't have been visibly showing), had extra tansy added to the mixture, hence the deathbed mummers about "tansy"..

When Robert became king Stannis was not Lord of DS and Renly was not Lord of SE. It might be a shift in protocol post-Targaryens or an oversight by GRRM. It is odd because Stannis is Lord of DS, but then Joffrey is not Prince of DS.

A lord is not more prestigious than a prince.

When Robert became king they became Lord of DS and Lord of SE. And those lordships are more prestigious then prince. Perhaps they were Princes until Joffrey came along and became heir?

Or because they were not born princes they never became princes.

When Robert became king they became Lord of DS and Lord of SE. And those lordships are more prestigious then prince. Perhaps they were Princes until Joffrey came along and became heir?

Or because they were not born princes they never became princes.

Stannis only came to Dragonstone in 287 AC.. We don't know whether he officially held the title of Lord of Dragonstone before then.

Archived