Small Questions v. 10098

Rhaenys_Targaryen

What about the Lands Of the Long Summer? What do we know about it? What theories have people came up with?

I mean, there is a Land of Always Winter and a Land Of Long Summer!

Could just be descriptive names for the arctic and tropical regions, but then the Lands of the Long Summer seem to be limited to the Valyrian peninsula. So that to me suggests a magical cause for the long summers. Maybe since most of the Lands of Long Summer were destroyed in the Doom the Others have gotten stronger and winters longer.

I was reading a discussion about Dunk not being knighted in another thread and had a question. Do we have any idea what the punishment for falsely claiming to be a knight might be?

I was reading a discussion about Dunk not being knighted in another thread and had a question. Do we have any idea what the punishment for falsely claiming to be a knight might be?

Maybe having your feet cut? ;)

He can always demand trial by combat if someone questions his claim.

In medieval times:

"While commoners were required to present their case to a judge before duelling, members of the nobility did have the right to challenge each other for duels without the involvement of the judicative, so that duels of this kind were separate from the judicial duel already in the Middle Ages and were not affected by the latter's abolition in the early 16th century by Emperor Maximilian I, evolving into the gentlemanly duel of modern times which was outlawed only as late as in the 19th century." from @Wikipedia article Trial by combat

That's also interesting:

" Hans Talhoffer in his 1459 Thott codex names seven offences that in the absence of witnesses were considered grave enough to warrant a judicial duel, viz. murder, treason, heresy, desertionof one's lord, "imprisonment" (possibly in the sense of abduction), perjury/fraudand rape." - IMO accusacion of falsely claiming to be knight is grave enough.

We don't know how it works in Westeros.

" Early trials by combat allowed a variety of weapons, particularly for knights. Later, commoners were given war hammers, cudgels, or quarterstaveswith sharp iron tips. The duelling ground was typically sixty feet square. Commoners were allowed a rectangularleather shield and could be armed with a suit of leather armour, bare to the knees and elbows and covered by a redsurcoat of a light type of silk calledsendal. The litigants appeared in person. The combat was to begin before noon and be concluded before sunset" - commoners were given weapons if they haven't their own.

Thats off-topic ↓ but very funny ( I love such anecdotes from history :) )

" By 1300, the wager of combat had all but died out in favor of trial by jury. One of the last mass trials by combat inScotland, the Battle of the Clans, took place in Perth in 1396. This event took the form of a pitched battle between teams of around thirty men each, representing Clan Macpherson and Clan Davidson on the North Inch in front of the King, Robert III. The battle was intended to resolve a dispute over which clan was to hold the right flank in an upcoming battle of both clans (and several others) against Clan Cameron. The Clan Macpherson is thought to have won, but only twelve men survived from the original sixty." The king probably wasn't very happy to loose 48 knights from 60

And that: " Such a private prosecution was last conducted in the case of ASHFORD v Thornton in 1818, as recorded in The Newgate Calendar. Pronouncing judgement in favour of the accused's plea claiming the wager of battle, Justice Bayley of the King's Bench said that:One of the inconveniences of this procedure is, that the party who institutes it must be willing, if required, to stake his life in support of his accusation.The accusation was quickly withdrawn after this judgement. Parliament abolished wager of battle the following year, in 1819, and at the same time they also abolished the writ of right and criminal appeals.

In December 2002, a 60-year-old mechanic named Leon Humphreys was fined £25 for failing to notify the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) that he had removed his Suzukimotorcycle from road usage. He refused to pay and claimed that he had the right, under medieval law, to choose a trial by combat with a "champion" nominated by the DVLA. This claim was denied by a court of magistrates in Bury St Edmunds, and he was further fined." Can Ashfor can it be a reference to ↑ this ASHFORD ?

And that: " Such a private prosecution was last conducted in the case of ASHFORD v Thornton in 1818, [...] Can Ashfor can it be a reference to ↑ this ASHFORD ?

Nice one. I am pretty certain Ashford is a very anglo-saxon name for a place called Ashby in Ivanhoe, where the tournament is held.

So it must be coincidence. Nevertheless, if you ever get a chance to talk to GRRM about it, don't hesitate, you'l get more than a few laughs, I'd bet.

Some maesters seem to belive they exist. Winds of Winter spoiler

Lady Valena Toland tells Princess Arianne Martell that there are tales of krakens off the Broken Arm, pulling under crippled galleys. Valena says their maester claims that the blood draws them to the surface. She adds that there are bodies which remain in the water, while a few have washed up on Ghost Hill's shores"

I know we were talking about Dunk, I mean if the accusation is that your not a knight are you still considered a knight until/unless you loose, or if a high lord makes the accusation are you basically considered a commoner unless you can prove otherwise?

I think that people will definitly treat you like that, as long as they know the accusations against you. But a trial by combat, yeah, should such a person win at that, then I guess everyone would have to accept, at least in public, that the person on trial was actually a knight.

I know we were talking about Dunk, I mean if the accusation is that your not a knight are you still considered a knight until/unless you loose, or if a high lord makes the accusation are you basically considered a commoner unless you can prove otherwise?

Wasn't that Dunk's first problem in The Hedge Knight? Didn't he have to have somebody vouch for him? Since all those witnesses saw him to be a knight, he's gonna be seen as a knight unless he admits something else.

Can you link me something about that? I can't seem to find anything about it :S

Unfortunately I can't. Although I tried, and read a lot about both the right (and the rite ;)) of first night, and Duchy of Normandy and channel islands laws and customs. I may have been set up by that travel magazine then, and I cannot recall if they did not maybe litterally phrased like "the right of the first night has never been abolished on Alderney". Which it won't have, if it never existed in the first place.

I am old, I read that in a book long ago.

On the other hand, the common belief in historical research classifying it as a myth is said to be a recent tendency, so my "learning" may simply be outdated.

And some of the pages had musings which I believe is something Sandor might say: What does a big bloke with a sword need such a law for anyway?

And even funnyer though, most web pages list Terry Pratchett's "Wyrd Sisters" as a matter where the droit de seigneur and all the misunderstanding that go along with the late king's big hairy thing is a smallish plot device. Read that.

I was playing QuizUp trivia about Song of Ice and Fire ( my nick there is the same as here, you can challenge me and add as friend, avatar is also same as here ).

I got questions:

Who was NOT eaten by a dragon?

A) Rhaenyra Targaryen - was

B ) Aegon III The Dragonbane - wasn't ( it was a correct answer )

C) Hazzea ( answer I gave ) - they claim she was....

D) Grand Maester Gerardys - was

So, my question is:

Does fate of Hazzea count as "being eaten" . IMO it's "being burned"...

I was playing QuizUp trivia about Song of Ice and Fire ( my nick there is the same as here, you can challenge me and add as friend, avatar is also same as here ).

I got questions:

Who was NOT eaten by a dragon?

A) Rhaenyra Targaryen - was

B ) Aegon III The Dragonbane - wasn't ( it was a correct answer )

C) Hazzea ( answer I gave ) - they claim she was....

D) Grand Maester Gerardys - was

So, my question is:

Does fate of Hazzea count as "being eaten" . IMO it's "being burned"...

So, you believe Drogon was cruising around Meereen just roasting wee lads and lasses for fun?

So, you believe Drogon was cruising around Meereen just roasting wee lads and lasses for fun?

If he has eaten her, how her father was able to present burned bones to Daenerys? Drogon used knife and fork to take only meat and left only bones?

Archived