Small Questions v. 10098

Rhaenys_Targaryen

I think it was a bad question, if for no other reason than the fact that it is still hotly debated about whether or not the sons of harpy simply pulled off a successful trick. Beyond that, the main reason most predators do not enjoy eating humans is because we really don't have much meat on us. A small girl especially would have barely any meat at all. There is also the story surrounding the incident, if Drogon was going for sheep, would have have bothered to pick 20lbs of meet off a small girl after he just feasted?

Unfortunately I can't. Although I tried, and read a lot about both the right (and the rite ;)) of first night, and Duchy of Normandy and channel islands laws and customs. I may have been set up by that travel magazine then, and I cannot recall if they did not maybe litterally phrased like "the right of the first night has never been abolished on Alderney". Which it won't have, if it never existed in the first place.

I am old, I read that in a book long ago.

On the other hand, the common belief in historical research classifying it as a myth is said to be a recent tendency, so my "learning" may simply be outdated.

And some of the pages had musings which I believe is something Sandor might say: What does a big bloke with a sword need such a law for anyway?

And even funnyer though, most web pages list Terry Pratchett's "Wyrd Sisters" as a matter where the droit de seigneur and all the misunderstanding that go along with the late king's big hairy thing is a smallish plot device. Read that.

Thanks so much for trying to find out! There are always many new things being found out about history, so who knows. Haha that definitely sounds like Sandor. That's so funny, I definitely should read it!

Thanks so much for trying to find out! There are always many new things being found out about history, so who knows. Haha that definitely sounds like Sandor. That's so funny, I definitely should read it!

It is... (And for the Macbeth fans out there, a quote from the beginning)

The wind howled. Lightning stabbed at the earth erratically, like an inefficient assassin. Thunder rolled back and forth across the dark, rain-lashed hills. The night was as black as the inside of a cat. It was the kind of night, you could believe, on which Gods moved men as though they were pawns on the chessboard of fate. In the middle of this elemental storm a fire gleamed among the dripping furze bushes like the madness in a weasel’s eye. It illuminated three hunched figures. As the cauldron bubbled an eldritch voice shrieked: “When shall we three meet again?

There was a pause.

Finally another voice said, in far more ordinary tones: “Well I can do next Tuesday.”

Do your GoTs have appendixes?

Mine ( polish edition ) doesn't have ( other books have ). Mine also doesn't have title page or information about orginal title, author, publisher, year etc. .

It has: cover ( Jon Snow on horse with raven, burning Winterfell in the background ). George R.R Martin "Gra o tron" ( Gra - Game, o - here as "of" , tron - "throne" , literally "Game of throne"

Than follow:

Page 5 ( trurly first )

"For Melinda...... [....], 773 pages of book, page of dedications and thanks, 2 maps, empty page, cover ( Ghost running through snowy forest after Jon ) and text:

" In the Western Realms/Lands, with eight thousands years of written history, the shadow of war and catastrophe always is above the people.

Winter is coming, the cold winds are blowing/rising from the North, where ancient races and old gods ousted by the Men seeked refugee.

Rebel lords luckily defeated the Mad King, Aerys Targaryen, sitting on the Iron Throne of Western Realms ( why Western Realms if it's called Westeros or the Seven Kingdoms in the book? ).

However the tyran managed to escape ( WTF, where and when? ). He met his dead at hands of his guard. Unfortunately ( pro-Robert propaganda even in the synospis? ) the fallen ruler left descendants as mad as himself ( is Dany mad in the first book? )....

The most noble ( pro-Robert PR? ) of the rebels - Robert, sat on the empty throne.

But the years of peace have ended and now the lords/nobles start game of thrones.

George R.R. Martin is one of the best fantasy writers. Every his book is received with entushiasm by the readers and the critics" - it's my translation, ( I'm not good with it... )

Is it normal? How does your GoT look?

In the evening I'll translate other synospyses. ;)

Good that I've read it in English... the translation in very good ( and we still have Littlefinger ;) ).... but than I wouldn't be able to discuss it here. I've looked at polish forum about ASOIAF ( PLIO in polish ).

It has: 96752 posts, 2372 threads and 1641 users ( mostly unactive ).

I think it was a bad question, if for no other reason than the fact that it is still hotly debated about whether or not the sons of harpy simply pulled off a successful trick. Beyond that, the main reason most predators do not enjoy eating humans is because we really don't have much meat on us. A small girl especially would have barely any meat at all. There is also the story surrounding the incident, if Drogon was going for sheep, would have have bothered to pick 20lbs of meet off a small girl after he just feasted?

Animals hunt also for fun, not only to eat..

Can someone give a link to any maps or layouts of the major castles?

There is a fan-collaborated approximation of Winterfell at The Winterfell Huis Clos by @Bran Vras somewhere, but the server is down at the current moment.

Actually the map is here in the realm of the Garde de Nuit. And at this site it is also here.

Can't help myself but I find that impressive. I don't even know if there's a German forum, but there is the also quite impressive La Garde de Nuit in French (>11000 >13000 threads last I looked).

The number may be impressive, but the content....

Here are some example threads:

Small Questions ( started in 2008, only 5 pages.... ):

Example questions:

- What is Brienne's surname....

- Why Targaryens didn't conquer Dorne? They could?

- Why Aerys wanted Ned and Rob killed if they were only children?

Another examples from this forum:

- After long discussion they claimed that Lady Rhaenys Targaryen is wife of Aerys II

- which Aerys's kingsguards died at the Trident ( they speculated, made theories, no one was clever enough to check in the books.... )

- thread about When is Dunk & Egg set.... some genius claims that Battle of Redgrass Field was fought against Robert and "Rheager"

- generaly writing of names in terrible (Daenemerys Targeryon )

- who is Brynden who meets Bran? Some Stark? Is he from the North?

- Theory! Euron's mages are from Quarth!

- What is ASOIAF canon?

- " I've read a fanfic where. ..."

- How died Layana Stark? What happend to her?

- How many chapters of Dance are readable?"

- OMG!!!!;) - here such thread name would be banned

- Was GRRM inspired by Tolkien?

- Fanfiction

- General Discussion: Novels has two pages of threads. ... we have few thousands

- Are Starks made of teflon?

- Mistakes in ASOIAF ( of course "mistakes" are what users don't like"

- Feast is boring ( so why are you there? )

- I haven't read the books, but I watch the show so I'll say bull**** in the discussion

- Theory: Joffrey is Robert's son!

- What is religion of northern houses?

- Is Elia Martell Jon's mother

- http://ogienilod.in-mist.net/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=2237 - this is kind of their R+L= J . You are lucky to don't know the language. My blood boils when I read it...

Tywin would comment this forum:

-" Madness, Madness and Stupidity"

Tolkienic forum ( I'm member of it, but I mainly read. I have no active posts. ) has more interesting threads about ASOIAF in their "Literature" than most on ASoIaF

There are of course true fans and "experts". There are few hundred of those ( out of 1600 members ) I think that many of them are also here.

There are also:

Trolls

Unactive members

Show watchers who haven't read the books but of course take part in book discussions

I've looked at polish forum about ASOIAF ( PLIO in polish ).

It has: 96752 posts, 2372 threads and 1641 users ( mostly unactive ).

The Russian forum has more than one million posts - 1,368,660 to be exact, 2,419 threads and 12,000 users. Very active forum, and structured more effectively than this one, sorry to say :laugh: . I mean, you know, every character has his\her own permanent thread etc. - this sort of thing, much more to my liking. Easier to find things :cool4: .

http://www.ogienilod.in-mist.net/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=2048 Never drink anything when you are reading forums ;)

"Kingslayer is Daenerys brother" ( Theory claims that Daenerys, Tyrion, Cersei, Rhaegar, Viserys and Jaime are all children of Aerys and Joanna )

There's a theory about a corpse mother giving birth a couple of times? Well I guess that goes with some of the theories I've read here about corpse men fathering children.

"Hodor is a Targaryen. He bathes in hot water"

Archived