Small Questions v. 10098

Rhaenys_Targaryen

Who, during the course of the books, have we seen actually seated on the Iron Throne?

Ned.

Joffrey.

Any others?

Tywin during Tyrion's trial?

Jaime Lannister, if you count Ned's flashback.

I can't remeber wheteher Tyrion sat on the IT for formal occasions (such as receiving Cleos for peace talks)

Jaime Lannister, if you count Ned's flashback.

I can't remeber wheteher Tyrion sat on the IT for formal occasions (such as receiving Cleos for peace talks)

That might mean Aerys counts as well, for flashbacks.

My thought is that, for foreshadowing purposes, the relationship of actually sitting on the Iron Throne to dying is pretty good. Curious how predictive that will be over the whole series.

If knights are custom of the followers of the Seven, why there are knights in the North (Old Gods) and in the Iron Islands (Drowned God)?

There aren't many. So far we know of a single Ironborn knight. Knights from the North spring forth from a few sources:

• White Harbor and the Manderlys

The Manderys in White harbor brought the new gods and Southern customs along, so knighthood is more common there.

• Houses near the Neck

Houses who have business with the South may have a few knights, as customs mingle.

• War returnees

Some Northerners simply get knighted by Southern nobility during war time, it cannot be helped. Ser Jorah Mormont is an example.

• Hedge Knights and Freeriders

People living the life of a hedge knight or freeriders in service in the South might face the same treatment, when the do too many chivalrous deeds, although an example is missing here.

There is also second Ironborn knight - ser Aladale Wynch - ranger of the Night's Watch

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Aladale_Wynch

Do we have any hint about which sells word company mutilated and raped Meris?

I'm guessing it was the brave companions,.since they so have a history of rape and mutilation (Jaime)

No, all we know is that it weren't Windblown. And while BC are viable guess, they can hardly be the only suspect. Most mercenaries aren't known for their high moral code and keeping women safe and sound; after all.

Indeed he did.

The Iron Throne of Aegon the Conqueror was a tangle of nasty barbs and jagged metal teeth waiting for any fool who tried to sit too comfortably, and the steps made his stunted legs cramp as he climbed up to it, all too aware of what an absurd spectacle he must be. Yet there was one thing to be said for it. It was high.

edit: I think the only time we hear about Tywin on the throne is the story of Robert and Stannis mistaking him for Aerys.

Who knows, beyond Jon Snow, that Maester Aemon was a Targ? I seem to remember that Jeor Mormont mentioned it to Jon in passing....but would the other senior NW people (like Denys Mallister, Cotter Pyke, Donal Noye, Septon Cellador), etc., know?

I'm only now watching season 4, and loved the ending of Jon's trial, and noticed that Allister Thorne didn't know....at least in the show. :)

Did the Shadow Tower and Eastwatch-by-the-Sea also have septons and weirwoods?

Who knows, beyond Jon Snow, that Maester Aemon was a Targ? I seem to remember that Jeor Mormont mentioned it to Jon in passing....but would the other senior NW people (like Denys Mallister, Cotter Pyke, Donal Noye, Septon Cellador), etc., know?

I'm only now watching season 4, and loved the ending of Jon's trial, and noticed that Allister Thorne didn't know....at least in the show. :)

Did the Shadow Tower and Eastwatch-by-the-Sea also have septons and weirwoods?

No septons are mentioned. I imagine weir woods are easy enough to find.

I don't think he did not know rather that he didn't remember it at that point. It happens.

Just a note: The right of the first night/droit du seigneur/primae noctis actually has no evidence of ever having existed in medieval Europe, though it may have existed in a few communities elsewhere in the world. The fee that was paid to a lord along with his permission is theorized to have been a way to prevent serfs from marrying and entering the service of another lord. It's a legend used to villainize countries, kings, cultures, etc. but it never existed in medieval Europe, so you may want to change that answer.

http://press.uchicago.edu/ucp/books/book/chicago/L/bo3629910.html

http://web.maths.unsw.edu.au/~jim/medmyths.html

Other medievalist have crushed the notion as well. One from the University of Oregon spend a great deal of time banishing most popular ideas of the medieval world.

Hello,

Having recently been reading A World Of Ice And Fire I would just like to ask whether Torrhens Square was named after A King Torrhen and which one as I don't believe it was specified by the book..

We don't know. It can be assumed it was a Stark (as the Tallharts are masterly vassals for the Starks, and Torrhen is is Stark/Northern name). But it could be any northman really. Torrhen Tallhart is just as likely as Torrhen Stark.

Archived