Small Questions v. 10098

Rhaenys_Targaryen

Why everyone criticises Slaver's Bay names?

Most common argument:

" They are strange" some people seem to think that everwhere ( in our world too ) there are only English surnames and everyone should be named Adam, Richard or Howard.

That's annoying. ( I have rather bad experiences with native English speakers, once when I introduced myself, he answered "Strange name". Also once some guy ( in one game ) every time I wrote sth, corrected me. I'll care about people like him and write only in victorian age English from classic literature from the day native English speaker will pronounce "Grzegorz Bżęczyszczykiewicz" 100% correctly.

Spoiler tag for offtopic.

Why everyone criticises Slaver's Bay names?

Most common argument:

" They are strange" some people seem to think that everwhere ( in our world too ) there are only English surnames and everyone should be named Adam, Richard or Howard.

That's annoying. ( I have rather bad experiences with native English speakers, once when I introduced myself, he answered "Strange name". Also once some guy ( in one game ) every time I wrote sth, corrected me. I'll care about people like him and write only in victorian age English from classic literature from the day native English speaker will pronounce "Grzegorz Bżęczyszczykiewicz" 100% correctly.

Spoiler tag for offtopic.

Sorry dude, but Blue Tiger is a strange name. My Spanish speaking wife had so much trouble saying my English first name for the first few years that she used my last name. But that's German and she screwed that up too. Her family tells me I pronounce all five of her names very well. Harzoo and Red Ralloo are fun.

Has GRRM ever confirmed in an SSM or interview that Maekar did, in fact, deliver the blow that killed Baelor Breakspear? (I know about the story, the wiki, and the World Book but am seeking validation from the author anywhere.) Thanks in advance.

Sorry dude, but Blue Tiger is a strange name. My Spanish speaking wife had so much trouble saying my English first name for the first few years that she used my last name. But that's German and she screwed that up too. Her family tells me I pronounce all five of her names very well. Harzoo and Red Ralloo are fun.

I was talking about my real name. ;)

Has GRRM ever confirmed in an SSM or interview that Maekar did, in fact, deliver the blow that killed Baelor Breakspear? (I know about the story, the wiki, and the World Book but am seeking validation from the author anywhere.) Thanks in advance.

Not as far as I know. In was in the heat of battle, after all. Maekar is convinced, however, and the realm seems to have been as well.

Not as far as I know. In was in the heat of battle, after all. Maekar is convinced, however, and the realm seems to have been as well.

And he was using a mace, right? And the KG were not allowed to attack the crowned prince, rght? I think we can be as confident in that as RLJ.

And he was using a mace, right? And the KG were not allowed to attack the crowned prince, rght? I think we can be as confident in that as RLJ.

The Kingsguard's honour allowed them to only defend themselves, they didn't attack prince of royal blood...

The three KG were not allowed to attack, only to defend themselves. Daeron was out immediately, and Aerion only had eye for Dunk. That's 5 out of 7. Raymun and Steffon only had eye for each other. That leaves Maekar.

We can be reasonably certain that it was Maekar, despite him never wanting to mortally harm his brother. It could be that one of the KG accidentally caused the wound during an attempt to defend himself, but the chances for Maekar are bigger.

Could someone give a link to best threads about Westerosi armies ( numbers, loses ). I need arguments to thread about "Westeros vs Mordor"

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/125122-complete-rundown-of-army-sizes-and-losses-throughout-the-books-long/page-1

I'd put my money on Middle-Earth, but not Mordor.

As for total army sizes there hasn't been a decent thread on that in ages, and they never really go anywhere...

Wyman doesn't know that it's Rickon who went to Skagos, does he?

"Bring me back my liege lord" If Wyman knows that both Stark boys are alive, he knows that Bran is his overlord...

Will Davos be surprised by who he finds on Skagos?

I feel I have recently answered most of this here.

Will Davos ever reach Skagos? Anyway with Bran gone North of the Wall, the Northerners might according to tradition start an expedition there. If they ever get a round tuit around to it.

I don't have the book in front of me, but I have a lot of problems with the whole story Wyman tells Davos. However, in the story he says that Wex follows them until they split up and then he follows Rickon and Asha, so he may believe Bran has died since then, or that any male Stark will do.

Wyman does not know it is Rickon who went to Skagos, at least he seems to think it is Bran. Reasons not shown to us.

eta: Oh yes, he does. I stand corrected by @Rhaenys_Targaryen who pointed out Wyman knows Bran is crippled and cannot just walk with Osha. Since apparently Bran's legs (Hodor) walked northwards, Wyman knows he is sending Davos to find Rickon

I always forget whether Cersei's and Jaime's children would be called Joffrey Hill, Myrcella Waters or Tommen Storm if their parentage was revealed. I'm pretty sure it's Waters since they are born in the Crownlands right? Or is it the fathers region, like how Edric Storm is a Storm even though his mother is a Flowers region? Thanks.

Archived