Small Questions v. 10098

Rhaenys_Targaryen

Does the Night's watch have somewhere for the devotees of the Drowned god to take thier vows?

That is an excellent question.

I'm sure they have a bucket somewhere... but no. It's never mentioned.

Maybe at Eastwatch... Cotter Pyke is running things there and he's iron born.

And that is an excellent answer. Saltwater is necessary for blessings to the Drowned God, so I'd assume that either coast is fine. Most of the training, as far as we know, is done at Castle Black, though, so they'd probably more or less swear you in and send you to Eastwatch. Which is more likely than the Shadow Tower since they'd probably want able sailors working at Eastwatch.

What exactly is a Hedge Knight?

Someone who has been knighted and has all the gear of a knight but doesn't own any land. So he travel's around, sleeping in hedgerows, and sells his sword where he can.

For more info, read "The Hedge Knight" by George RR Martin.

Someone who has been knighted and has all the gear of a knight but doesn't own any land. So he travel's around, sleeping in hedgerows, and sells his sword where he can.

For more info, read "The Hedge Knight" by George RR Martin.

Right, as opposed to a sworn sword, which wpuld suggest that the landless knight has actually entered the service of a landed knight or lord. In other words he's not just freerider or a sellsword, or on his own sleeping under the hedges like a hedge knight.

Not what I was asking.

Thanks to the two who answered. Bronn is a Hedge Knight following the Blackwater? I assume he doesn't have any lands until he's betrothed to the Stokeworths?

I think Bronn is more of a Sell Sword...I don't think he has been knighted.

ETA: IIRC, a Hedge Knight is a full knight who doesn't have any lands nor has pledged long term loyalty to any one noble house. A Hedge Knight is similar to a sell sword in that there is not a specific house/entity they are pledged to; however a knight should be trustworthy...as all knights should be. Should being the key word. A Sell Sword has the reputation of being devious and a cheat (for the most part).

I think Bronn is more of a Sell Sword...I don't think he has been knighted.

Was he not knighted after the battle? Or is that me just remembering it wrong?

Edit; Wiki says he was knighted by a member of the Kingsguard. He called himself Ser Bronn of The Blackwater jokingly beforehand, however.

Not what I was asking.

Thanks to the two who answered. Bronn is a Hedge Knight following the Blackwater? I assume he doesn't have any lands until he's betrothed to the Stokeworths?

yes... he was knighted after the Blackwater iirc. He would have been a hedge knight.... although it's not an official title or rank.

Was he not knighted after the battle? Or is that me just remembering it wrong?

Edit; Wiki says he was knighted by a member of the Kingsguard. He called himself Ser Bronn of The Blackwater jokingly beforehand, however.

I was thinking of when he first appeared in the books...he was originally a sell sword. He was knighted after the battle of the blackwater.

Since he now has land & "loyalty" to House Stokeworth, he would not be considered a Hedge Knight.

He did not call himself Bronn of the Blackwater before the battle, just Bronn.

Here is the first mention:

Bronn grinned. "My knightly sigil. A flaming chain, green, on a smoke-grey field. By your lord father's command, I'm Ser Bronn of the Blackwater now, Imp. See you don't forget it."

A Storm of Swords 04 Tyrion I

The Battle of the Blackwater happened in the previous book A Clash of Kings.

I'm not sure if i am wording this question right but hopefully you understand what i mean. Which of the Great Houses have untouched "pure" dynasties with the male lines (if any)?

For instance:

Baratheons have the blood of the Durrandons in them but it's through the female line.

The Lannisters were first men but an Andal married a Lannister princess and took the name and i guess sigil just like Orys Baratheon

I think a Wildling king knocked up a Stark princess and the son eventually became Lord of Winterfell and killed his father/wildling king

The Martells don't count for this because of their succession laws

So that leaves the Tyrells, Arryns, Tully and Greyjoy. I don't know about them except that the Arryns lose it if Sweet Robin dies and Harry takes over (if they still had it to begin with).

Two other questions:

If Jon Arryn had a bastard son, would he have a better claim to the Vale than Harry the heir and be considered for legitimization?

Would Edric Storm or Shieeren Baratheon become LP of the Stormlands if Stannis dies? Again assuming Edric Storm is legitimized.

I'm not sure if i am wording this question right but hopefully you understand what i mean. Which of the Great Houses have untouched "pure" dynasties with the male lines (if any)?

For instance:

Baratheons have the blood of the Durrandons in them but it's through the female line.

The Lannisters were first men but an Andal married a Lannister princess and took the name and i guess sigil just like Orys Baratheon

I think a Wildling king knocked up a Stark princess and the son eventually became Lord of Winterfell and killed his father/wildling king

The Martells don't count for this because of their succession laws

So that leaves the Tyrells, Arryns, Tully and Greyjoy. I don't know about them except that the Arryns lose it if Sweet Robin dies and Harry takes over (if they still had it to begin with).

Two other questions:

If Jon Arryn had a bastard son, would he have a better claim to the Vale than Harry the heir and be considered for legitimization?

Would Edric Storm or Shieeren Baratheon become LP of the Stormlands if Stannis dies? Again assuming Edric Storm is legitimized.

Edric Baratheon as heir of Robert would have a good claim to the Iron Throne and Stormlands....

I think this is a game GRMM plays with us readers, that patrinlinial dynasty doesn't work so well.

With modern genetic resaerch, we know that it never worked well in the real world. Queens cheat on their husbands no less than ordinary folk.

Do you believe Robert Arryn's biological father was Jon Arryn? Name Lysa's Friedel (lover).

Two other questions:

It depends on their money and the mood of the king.

If all the heirs in a house die will the cadet branch of that house be the new lords ? For example will Lannister of Lannisport get Casterly if the main branch dies out.

In the theory of inheritance of the real world, they should. The tree, if impossible to be traced downwards, will be traced up again into the past and at every junction searched for a surviving relative in that branch. The ones closest to either the stem of the tree or debatably to the last king should have a chance to be considered.

But which king would legitimize Edric?

a) Stannis isn't stupid so he won't legitimise bastard with better claim than him... maybe if he will be dying or mortally wounded... or marry him to Shireen

b) Tommen - no way

c) Aegon VI Targaryen ¿Blackfyre? - to make him LP of the Stormlands, not very likely as Edric is son of man who murdered his "sister" and "mother"

d) Dany - to gain support of Stormlords? , not very likely as Edric is "the usurper's " puppy. Edric is in Volantis, and she may pass it on way to Westeros...

I belive that Varys/Illyrio found Edric and gave him to Egg v.6, Aegon used him to get into Storm's End and defeat the defenders...

Archived