Preacher- AMC Comic Adaptation

Morpheus

5 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

So now I'm confused. How much of Jesse's soul did they take? What was he hiding in the bathroom? Does he really expect the saint to not get out of that van?

They took 1%, I'm guessing Jesse wants to get the whole thing back at some point. He presumably doesn't want to have to go to hell to get it (but really he needs to go get Eugene at some point anyway.)

He was hiding the Saint's guns and Sword.

As shown by the bomb, it's a pretty tough van. I don't know anything about Angelville from the comics but I'm guessing there's a reason he went there specifically that may help keep him at bay. Either way he only needs to hold him until Jesse finds God, which to Jesse doesn't seem all that far away.

On 26/07/2017 at 3:01 AM, Nictarion said:

This show barely resembles the source material at this point. Cassidy feels like the only character they've got right. Angelville sounds like it's going to be a mess. Guess I'll just hold out hope they don't fuck up Herr Star. 

I'm torn, sometimes the new material works but the characters are often paying the price for it. Other times like with episode 4 I'm just left scratching my head.

What didn't sit well with me in the latest episode is that assuming they keep one of the comic's iconic moments

that Jesse was left in the bottom of a swamp in a coffin for several days

that the choice of imprisonment Jesse chose for the Saint was very, very odd.

not sure I'd want a bit of my soul in what was my personal hell

The weird sould business they've brought in is odd but may have uses. Does Jesse know that it was 1% of his soul? What about Genesis? The japanese firm could also become antagonists if they realise Jesse has the Genesis entity in him eg extracting 100% of genesis (i liked how the equipment was vaguely reminiscent of the angel equipment) gives them an almost unlimited supply of soul-juice.

The other thing about the soul stuff is that it suggests Jesse is familiar with soul trading and that his extended family know how to do this. I'm going to spoiler the rest as it's on shaky comic spoiler ground

what if Jesse was being such a dick in the flashback was because his family stole some of his soul? Like an insurance policy whereby if he escaped, he'd eventually come back as he'd realise a part of him was missing? This would explain why he willingly decides to go back to them, in order to complete his soul and maybe even why he was hesitant about how much soul to give up - as he knows the effect it can have on a person.

It's a little bit of a stretch but I really need there to be a reason why Jesse was the way he was in that flashback of him being a joyless slob. The only problem with my theory is that it completely messes up the best arc in the comics - one that would work incredibly well in the show if it was left untouched. The thing is, it already seems hard for them to do this properly with the wrinkles we've already seen in the set up.

50 minutes ago, red snow said:
  Reveal hidden contents

that Jesse was left in the bottom of a swamp in a coffin for several days

that the choice of imprisonment Jesse chose for the Saint was very, very odd.

Spoiler

I took that as Jesse just going with the worst possible non-hell punishment he could think off.

On 3/08/2017 at 3:00 PM, Dr. Pepper said:

I'm so lost on who the hell Herr Star is or what he does but it was definitely hilarious.

He works for the Grail, a powerful secret organisation that has the direct descendants of Jesus Christ in its care. It looks like Starr is in charge of dealing with any potential rivals to the Grail, ie potential Messiahs other than the ones in the Grail's custody. I expect we'll find out more in due course.

On 01/08/2017 at 2:59 PM, Quoth said:

Wholeheartedly agree. The last test on the firing range? saw it coming and giggled hysterically anyway.

Predictable but still a joy to watch. They seem to have got Herr Starr right which is pretty essential as an ongoing antagonist. I think he's going to be fun.

Agree with others though on the rest of the episode. Tulip is turning out to be a dull "I'm angry" all the time character and Jesse is still suffering from what we learned about him in the flashback.

Cassidy is good but some clarification would help regarding his timeline. When did he become a dad? was it pre or post vampire. I vaguely recall his comic backstory but we could do with some flashbacks on Cassidy. Although I admit I may have forgotten the TV show mentioning his true age.

Hmm, well that was my least favourite episode in a while. I feel like nothing happened and all the storylines that are moving forward don't appear to be all that interesting.

- Tulips plot is a real drag. Its just depressing, nothing more. When she is moping around it adds very little to the show, although her meeting the 'neighbour' did at least give me hope she might cheer up for a small amount of time.

- Cassidy, I think hes great, I love the idea of that being his son. But somehow its dragged out to a point of making it boring. Maybe its due to the french speaking and lack of conversation between them, maybe because its just going on so long, but I'm losing interest.

- Hell doesn't really grab me in the show, again it feels like its just spinning its wheels.

- Jesse, nothing much to say here, the serial wipe was amusing but again feels like a way of stalling the show out in a more frustrating way.

I guess its just that stage of the show, but it has ground to a halt a little. Each character has gone their own way which means the chemistry between them falls away, and none of their plots has much forward momentum. 

I'm sure it will pick up though, once there is more Herr Starr in it.

Really boring episode. What happened to being on the road for S2? I guess we're stuck in NO for the foreseeable future. I really wish they would have just cut Arseface from the show. He's one of the weaker parts of the comics, and he's even worse in the show. 

Agreed.... the character worked in the comics because every once in a while they'd dedicate a few panels to his sub-sub-plot... and then get back to the story.... on TV... it just brings the show to a grinding halt.... if they treated the character right... he'd get 2-3 scenes per season, just to remind us that we're watching something really weird...lol

20 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Really boring episode. What happened to being on the road for S2? I guess we're stuck in NO for the foreseeable future. I really wish they would have just cut Arseface from the show. He's one of the weaker parts of the comics, and he's even worse in the show. 

It was a cruel tease the first few episodes which was when the season was working really well. Now it's clear they are staying in louisiana all season. Probably into season 3 if Angelville comes into play.

It's weird as I pointed out at the start of the season how it was addressing all the problems I had with American gods. Now I'm feeling that there's probably 8 episodes between the two shows that are great. Their pacing issues are different though. American God's problem is in having a really scattered/sketch like focus and when it spends time on a group of characters it's much better. Preacher is best when rapidly moving through storylines - when they pause to focus on a plot it's really dragged out and dull. I guess in essence American gods doesn't spend enough time on good ideas while Preacher spends too much time on good ideas.

I don't hate Aresface as much as others seem to. I think it's the bizarre setting he's in and how he may wind up an antagonist for Preacher that keeps me interested. I don't really get "hell" though. My perception of hell is torture for being evil - whereas the show seems to treat it as a training ground for being more evil. Which doesn't feel right to me.

As for the rest of the episode. Tulip contiues to be angry. It's odd how she seems to have PTSD from her close encounter with SoK when we've seen her take on thugs and blow up helicopters with grenade launchers. It's pretty shitty of Jesse not to really notice or do anything to help her. Then again it seems to be a common theme in the episode - neither of them give a shit about Cassidy's situation despite him clearly wanting their help and advice. Cassidy's situation is interesting and I really applaud them making a dying mans last days look as horrible as they sadly often are. It makes it readily understandable why his son wants to be saved. The problem with the show (and with quite a lot of vampire fiction) is that they haven't really established much of a reason not to be a vampire. Cassidy is immortal and doesn't even need to kill people to exist. Most would swap out direct sunlight for that. Now, obviously it's being hinted that some people can become really fucking evil when turned (as implied by the phonecall) but using Cassidy as our only notion of vampires in this world - it really doesn't seem like a bad deal. The other problem with the storyline is that it's outstaying its welcome which goes back to the pacing problems with the show.

3 hours ago, red snow said:

It was a cruel tease the first few episodes which was when the season was working really well. Now it's clear they are staying in louisiana all season. Probably into season 3 if Angelville comes into play.

It's weird as I pointed out at the start of the season how it was addressing all the problems I had with American gods. Now I'm feeling that there's probably 8 episodes between the two shows that are great. Their pacing issues are different though. American God's problem is in having a really scattered/sketch like focus and when it spends time on a group of characters it's much better. Preacher is best when rapidly moving through storylines - when they pause to focus on a plot it's really dragged out and dull. I guess in essence American gods doesn't spend enough time on good ideas while Preacher spends too much time on good ideas.

I don't hate Aresface as much as others seem to. I think it's the bizarre setting he's in and how he may wind up an antagonist for Preacher that keeps me interested. I don't really get "hell" though. My perception of hell is torture for being evil - whereas the show seems to treat it as a training ground for being more evil. Which doesn't feel right to me.

As for the rest of the episode. Tulip contiues to be angry. It's odd how she seems to have PTSD from her close encounter with SoK when we've seen her take on thugs and blow up helicopters with grenade launchers. It's pretty shitty of Jesse not to really notice or do anything to help her. Then again it seems to be a common theme in the episode - neither of them give a shit about Cassidy's situation despite him clearly wanting their help and advice. Cassidy's situation is interesting and I really applaud them making a dying mans last days look as horrible as they sadly often are. It makes it readily understandable why his son wants to be saved. The problem with the show (and with quite a lot of vampire fiction) is that they haven't really established much of a reason not to be a vampire. Cassidy is immortal and doesn't even need to kill people to exist. Most would swap out direct sunlight for that. Now, obviously it's being hinted that some people can become really fucking evil when turned (as implied by the phonecall) but using Cassidy as our only notion of vampires in this world - it really doesn't seem like a bad deal. The other problem with the storyline is that it's outstaying its welcome which goes back to the pacing problems with the show.

Agree with all of that.

I'd like to see more of Cassidy as a vampire as well, they haven't gone into that at all, or even really brought it up with the people he's travelling with. Just seems a wasted opportunity. 

I'm assuming that Arsehell is a set up for everyone to end up escaping hell, including Hitler, leading to a major plot line. At least I'm hoping thats what is going on.

6 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Agree with all of that.

I'd like to see more of Cassidy as a vampire as well, they haven't gone into that at all, or even really brought it up with the people he's travelling with. Just seems a wasted opportunity. 

I'm assuming that Arsehell is a set up for everyone to end up escaping hell, including Hitler, leading to a major plot line. At least I'm hoping thats what is going on.

Maybe when/if he turns his son into a vampire we'll see more on the vampire side of things. It's a shame we haven't seen much on it since his cool intro fighting the vampire-hunters.

I hope Arseface's story gets us somewhere. I don't think they can do a "destroy the whole place/cast" again, can they?

Agree with what others have posted. The ep. was a bit slow. But, there were some interesting points along the way. Cassidy's deep thoughts on immortality. Tulip's interaction with the new neighbor. Idea of using Genesis to fix Dennis was interesting. How would that work anyway? Jessie intoning "Hey, get better"? Would a person's body have to respond to that?  Or maybe "Dennis, don't feel any pain from the cancer" might work.  It would allow nature to take it's course without the awfulness of the situation. But, I'm probably thinking too hard on the details. After all, should Jessie ever shout "Don't move!" to someone, it creates a dilemma for that person, doesn't it? Would it stop involuntary movements? Could the person inhale/exhale? Would heartbeats stop also?

BTW, should Cassidy bite Dennis, yeah he'd "vampire up" and live forever... but... to forevermore be in constant pain? Ummm, wonder if they're  thinking of that. Maybe that's the reason Cassidy is so resistant to the idea?

Archived