Preacher- AMC Comic Adaptation

Morpheus

9 hours ago, Quoth said:

:lol: Well, that sounds hauntingly familiar...

I'd say it's a much more faithful adaptation than Lucifer (which I haven't seen, but knowing it's a police procedural is enough), but much less faithful than Game of Thrones. (Bearing in mind that I'm not that familiar with the Preacher comics, and obviously don't know for sure how far the last couple of seasons of GoT diverge from the unpublished books.)

21 hours ago, Nictarion said:

I honestly wouldn't care if this wasn't picked up for a S3. 

I don't hate the show but I have to admit I wouldn't lose sleep over its cancellation.

It's far too meandering and has gone to great efforts to make the cast dislikable. Herr Starr showed promise but he appeared to be turning into a spineless lackey/manager (even if it's a pretense). Everyone else was pretty unlikeable in a "I don't care what happens to them" kind of way.

I was also utterly sick of the "We'll cast this character with a permanent actor once we get a third season" hide and seek they kept playing on us. The grandmother constantly in the shadow, the uncle who twists Jesse's arm and, finally God. It felt like the direction wasn't trying to be mysterious but just hiding the fact the roles hadn't been cast.

Garth Ennis has clearly decided to take the money and treat the show as an elaborate and expensive advert for the comics which is actually a brilliant move on his part. I'm sure book sales have increased even if the show hasn't been warmly received.

I haven't watched the last three episodes, I am not sure I want to honestly.

The argument that the comic has not aged well is not wrong. Certain things are pretty cringey by today's standards. What was trangressive as a 90s teen, looks douchey today. That being said, what they gave us was a lot of crap peppered with promising moments of excellence, but not nearly enough. And what worked best across the board was when they approached the anarchic tone of the Preacher comic, the attempts at maturity come off poorly written and are an utter slog.

The Walking Dead is the closest comparison, both overall, as they are both shows which fail miserably when they attempt sober drama, and more specifically this is the fucking farm season of TWD all over again. There were so many scenes in that goddamn appartment. They didn't have enough story for all of the characters, so we get forced arcs, I.e. PTSD for Tulip. Things looked most promising when they were on the road, and I assume doing a road trip television drama is difficult, I don't know, they really should have made the NOLA stay much shorter.

I loved the comics,  and I just first read them a couple years ago as an adult. 

Also, TWD S2 was great, so being stuck in one place doesn't automatically make something bad. :P

I'll hold out hope for S3 being better, but if the show hasn't hit its stride by now it probably never will. I do want to at least see how they do Angelville. I loved the flashback stuff in the comics. Changing Jesse's dad's back story already changes that though.

6 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Also, TWD S2 was great, so being stuck in one place doesn't automatically make something bad. :P

No being in one place is not in itself bad. Being in one place with bad writing, pacing, and character development is bad, as is the case with Preacher.

And TWD season 2

3 minutes ago, Morpheus said:

No being in one place is not in itself bad. Being in one place with bad writing, pacing, and character development is bad, as is the case with Preacher.

And TWD season 2

Agree to disagree re TWD S2. I really enjoyed the Shane/Rick dynamic, and it had some of my favorite moments of the entire show, the bar scene in Nebraska, Barmaggedon, etc. 

Preacher hasn't even come close to the quality of the first couple seasons of TWD, imo. 

On 16/09/2017 at 4:41 PM, Morpheus said:

I agree bad writing is bad writing but I'd argue Preacher works better (either by playing to writers strengths or masking their weakness) when things are moving along. I'm sure there are other shows where the writing would not suit a "on the road" approach.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Think I’m finally done. Just not enjoying it. Really wanted to like it, and probably hung in there way longer than I should have. I don’t want to sound like one of those people, but the comics really are so much better. 

Judging from how dead this thread is it seems I’m not alone. 

I remember when Preacher and American Gods were looked at here and elsewhere as two next big things we could look forward to as GOT starts to wind down.

Preacher has not been that appealing and AG has only had one 8 episode season with a second one long delayed ( in fact, not sure it is even being produced).

9 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Season 3 is a dramatic improvement over what has come before. Loving it.

I’m seeing some praise for the latest episode, especially if you’ve read the comics. I guess I’ll have to check it out in a last ditch effort to keep me on board...

• 3 weeks later...

Archived