Preacher- AMC Comic Adaptation

Morpheus

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 3:32 PM, Morpheus said:

I am still on the fence, some entertaining bits but a lot still doesn't sit right. Anneville and everyone in it outside of the three main characters looks really boring. I also think they may have gone too disjointed with the story. Everyone I know who hasn't read the comics is already getting frustrated because it looks like a bunch of random shit with no throughline. .

I've read the books... and I'm also frustrated about what appears to be random shit....lol

The SoK scene was cool.... I didn't think they were going to include him.... but overall I'm getting a really bad vibe....Arseface is not a main character.... he's someone they threw in for some comic relief...

But what is really rubbing me the wrong way is that they seem to be excluding Herr Starr.... and the Grail storyline... That just reeks of gutlessness...  like they're afraid of offending people.... So they'll just go with the more benign Quincannon story... and abandon the essence of the books.....

I shudder to think of how Rogan is going to fuck up The Boys....

Ruth Negga is the best part of this so far.... but again.... no idea what they're doing with this character or the story

5 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

I've read the books... and I'm also frustrated about what appears to be random shit....lol

The SoK scene was cool.... I didn't think they were going to include him.... but overall I'm getting a really bad vibe....Arseface is not a main character.... he's someone they threw in for some comic relief...

But what is really rubbing me the wrong way is that they seem to be excluding Herr Starr.... and the Grail storyline... That just reeks of gutlessness...  like they're afraid of offending people.... So they'll just go with the more benign Quincannon story... and abandon the essence of the books.....

Ruth Negga is the best part of this so far.... but again.... no idea what they're doing with this character or the story

So far I'd say the TV show is using Arseface far less for comic -relief than the comics did. He seems to be a lost soul here while in the comic he was just a misunderstood example of cliche culture (or whatever hipsters were in the 90s).

The grail has definitely been left for a future season and I'm sure it's for dodging too much controversy. Which is pointless as folk would hate it just for being based on the comics. The grail is also hard to get right for TV. Would they really do the childish Herr Starr physical evolution?

The "cowboy" opening is arguably the worst part (not for comic readers though) in that it doesn't really attatch in any way to the present story.

I liked how the reason Jesse has been picked may well because he's willing to be wrathful with the lord's voice. The others maybe weren't willing to get things done across the board and hence exploded. Jesse is itching to do god's will - old testament style.

On 08/06/2016 at 8:46 PM, Martini Sigil said:

i agree...the whole premise will just feel neutered without starr.  

i'm enjoying the show but i wonder how much it would ruin the experience if i were to do a source material reread...it has been many years since i traveled down that road.  

oh, and i'm really digging cass...joseph gilgun's character in misfits was so "ick" and that comes through in this portrayal as well.

This episode was weak. It feels too disjointed and incoherent right now and they really need to tighten it up a bit. Other parts could do with some better development as I'm not entirely sure if I'm supposed to give a fuck about this Carlos business, or Tulip altogether for that matter. And some things just don't make sense, like the story the sheriff told, it was a good speech and it was well told and acted, but it was also completely random and out of place.

I'm also not sure if introducing another big aspect with the whole Grail-business is a good idea. It feels like there's already to many things going on at once.

I did like the bits with Donnie though, they felt like a good way of showing the consequences Jesse's reckless behaviour can have.

I'm starting to doubt how well Seth Rogen and co actually get the source material. Because it seems to like they think the heart of they story is Gone to Texas when it really is Until the End of the World.

I thought this was simply a bad episode. It isn't working as an adaptation, but even as it's own thing I am finding it to not be a very good show. They set up a lot of mysteries without anything to hold interest. Sometimes introducing or setting up a character and then implying there is more than meets the eye can be more effective then throwing up a bunch of scenes of strangers that merely elicit a "who is that?" response. I liked the changes to Tulip intially, now she is just getting annoying and I am beginning to think Cooper was a bad choice for this, I just don't buy his "Southernness" or badassness

I believe the Starr and SoK scenes are attempts to assure people that they aren't abandoning the source completely, there is no reason for those scenes to be where they are, in fact they probably only hurt the show among the geral audience because almost every scene lacks any larger context at the moment. Did we really need to see all those scenes of Quincannon being weird? Wouldn't they have maybe had more weight if they established at all who OQ is and then showed that he is a creep who enjoys the sound of slaughter.

I see a lot of viewers seem to think they guy in the theater was Quincannon, probably a miscalculation to have two bald weirdos at this point.

I'm putting this show on hold until the season is complete. Having never read Preacher, I'm finding it all a bit confusing. I can only assume it has been poorly adapted so far. I'll wait until I have all the episodes DVR'd.

On 13/06/2016 at 7:46 PM, Astromech said:

I'm putting this show on hold until the season is complete. Having never read Preacher, I'm finding it all a bit confusing. I can only assume it has been poorly adapted so far. I'll wait until I have all the episodes DVR'd.

Have to admit the pacing is a bit slow. I agree it will probably work better in a binge format and this episode didn't have enough to warrant a week's wait. It's still good just the wrong format if this is how it'll continue. I guess they took Walking Dead for inspiration.

I'm enjoying the heck out of the show.  There are several plot strands that I have no clue about but I don't really have any reason to think they won't soon join in with everything else.  I think my enjoyment for now is mostly down to the characters and the actors playing them.  Several of them are highly entertaining and just fun to watch.  My expectations were also really low to start so it's a bit that almost anything would be good enough.  This could easily change if the random plot strands don't start being relevant, but for now, fun show.  Completely ridiculous and outrageous.

40 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

I'm enjoying the heck out of the show.  There are several plot strands that I have no clue about but I don't really have any reason to think they won't soon join in with everything else.  I think my enjoyment for now is mostly down to the characters and the actors playing them.  Several of them are highly entertaining and just fun to watch.  My expectations were also really low to start so it's a bit that almost anything would be good enough.  This could easily change if the random plot strands don't start being relevant, but for now, fun show.  Completely ridiculous and outrageous.

All this. Totally fine with the show as it is so far. It's done its job and hooked me. Now I just want to see where it goes.

12 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

I agree with almost all of that - I just found this episode didn't really work as an episode for me and as such I'd probably prefer watching it in a faster format. It may just be a blip as I enjoyed 1 and 2 fine.

11 hours ago, Mexal said:

All this. Totally fine with the show as it is so far. It's done its job and hooked me. Now I just want to see where it goes.

5 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

So we're mostly past the set up episodes now. I'm looking for the show to kick things into gear now. I'm interested, but not totally committed.

Which is where I think I'd probably be enjoying this more if I'd waited until I had all the episodes to watch in a short frame of time. Or at least the intro episodes. Like Anti-Targ says it'd be nice to see it settle into a groove and play with the pieces in place now.

Tulip is a good example of seeming a super OTT can-do character in the pilot - whereas now she seems a lot more passive. We need to see her making her own grenade launchers again and not sitting around waiting for Jesse to come along with her.

14 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

This show has totally exceeded my expectations too. I think I have possibly read a couple of Preacher comics but don't remember them much nor did I get into them, but I'm finding this show very entertaining, and really I can't think of higher praise than I look forward to a new episode coming out each week.

Contrast that to me struggling to maintain my interest in Outlander or Vikings, and i think it shows this is a decent show.

I'm actually feeling better about this show.... the Herr Starr & SoK scenes are enough to make me feel like S1 is really just to get us aquainted with everyone... tell a simpler story... and kick in for S2.... as long as they don't abandon key story arcs from the books, I'm OK with that... I would just like to see a few more Grail/SoK scenes sprinkled in here & there so non book readers won't feel like they're random.

On 6/15/2016 at 5:07 PM, Martini Sigil said:

I'm actually feeling better about this show.... the Herr Starr & SoK scenes are enough to make me feel like S1 is really just to get us aquainted with everyone... tell a simpler story... and kick in for S2.... as long as they don't abandon key story arcs from the books, I'm OK with that... I would just like to see a few more Grail/SoK scenes sprinkled in here & there so non book readers won't feel like they're random.

I agree. I feel like the show is hitting all the right spots thus far as a fan of the comic. However, it's trying to set up the entire comic book series and there are waaay too many unanswered questions for a mainstream audience at this point. I feel like if done properly, you could cover the entire PREACHER comic series in about 50-60 episodes or 5-6 seasons of TV. Breaking Bad is considered a modern masterpiece and it went 62 episodes. PREACHER isn't on par with that series yet, but it could be if handled properly.

I've never read the comic books, but I'm really enjoying the show. Yeah, there is a bit of stuff that seems out of place and confusing, but I expect them to explain it eventually. I really like the actors playing Jesse, Tulip, and Cassidy. I'm definitely hooked. 

The pace is still glacial but episode 4 was a return to form for me. Tulip was doing her own thing and any screentime with Jackie Earle Haley is gold (the guy deserves to have had bigger roles over the years).

I appreciate how they are making the use of Preacher's powers dubious which is a great idea given how christianity is based around the idea of free will. What's the point in making people be good if they don't want to be good? I'm pretty sure it's going to bite Jesse in the ass though as I suspect Odin's interpretation of "serving god" may not be as enlightening as he hoped. He strikes me as the kind of person who could turn a good deed into a bad one.

Cassidy keeps getting some excellent scenes as well. I also like how one of the Angels appears to be being slowly corrupted.

Well you know his mind control games on the whole congregation is going to turn to shit. Actually I expect his "serve God" command to Quincannon to turn to shit. Maybe he decides "God" is commanding him to follow jihad against the USA.

Archived