Preacher- AMC Comic Adaptation

Morpheus

33 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Well you know his mind control games on the whole congregation is going to turn to shit. Actually I expect his "serve God" command to Quincannon to turn to shit. Maybe he decides "God" is commanding him to follow jihad against the USA.

I kind of doubt that Jesse and Quincannon have the same opinion on what "serve god" means. Which will be interesting to see.

The pacing is still pretty bad, but at least this week was better than last. Jesse is currently kind of uninteresting though, despite all the voice stuff.

The real highlight was finally bringing Cassidy and Tulip together and I'm really curious to see how that relationship is going to develop. Plus Cassidy is overall the highlight of the show. Him trying to explain the whole angel situation was great.

I'm not sure I like the direction they are going with Jesse's dad. He is really different from the version we see in the comic book and I wonder if this might impact the Angelville stuff and whether that is still in there.

9 hours ago, GallowKnight said:

I kind of doubt that Jesse and Quincannon have the same opinion on what "serve god" means. Which will be interesting to see.

The pacing is still pretty bad, but at least this week was better than last. Jesse is currently kind of uninteresting though, despite all the voice stuff.

The real highlight was finally bringing Cassidy and Tulip together and I'm really curious to see how that relationship is going to develop. Plus Cassidy is overall the highlight of the show. Him trying to explain the whole angel situation was great.

I'm not sure I like the direction they are going with Jesse's dad. He is really different from the version we see in the comic book and I wonder if this might impact the Angelville stuff and whether that is still in there.

I hate what they're doing with Jesse's dad. Why did  they have to turn him into a Preacher in the first place, let alone an abusive one at that. Doubt we get any of his war background either, which is a shame as I liked those parts of the comics. 

Really slow burn so far, but I'm still in for now. With Penny Dreadful, Banshee, GoT, Orphan Black,  and Veep all over (or about to be), Preacher will be the only show on my DVR set to record. Hopefully the second half of the season picks up. 

Wow, this is a really neat show that has got me hooked. I like all the main characters, especially Tulip and Casssidy. The two henchmen have me confused as hell and tbh, I don't really have a clue what's going on, though it's beginning to become a bit clearer. I've read the thread and that's helped out a little. I assume that Jessie essentially has like the essence of God trapped in him? Really good show and I will definitely keep watching.

This is probably my favourite show out at the moment I have to say.

There was one scene this episode with Cassidy and the Angels in the hotel room, the way it was written and acted felt just a good quality UK comedy, perfect acting and timing (accents aside). 

I disagree the show is slow as well. It hasn't quite got a central thread or direction just yet but there are enough quality elements its all building to, that make me keep watching.

It simply has far too many entertaining scenes in it within every episode for me to ever be bored as well. 

I like the show, particularly how the feel and look of the show is so 'B-movie, circa 1975'.  The grittiness and deadpan humor are great.

The story progression is awfully slow, though.

3 minutes ago, Elder Sister said:

I like the show, particularly how the feel and look of the show is so 'B-movie, circa 1975'.  The grittiness and deadpan humor are great.

The story progression is awfully slow, though.

Can I just say that it's awful nice seeing you back around these parts?

You were missed.

10 minutes ago, MisterSrna said:

Can I just say that it's awful nice seeing you back around these parts?

You were missed.

Oh, my gosh, thank you so much!  That is very kind of you.  Work has slowed down, and I'm trying to get back on here some. :)

18 hours ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

I assume that Jessie essentially has like the essence of God trapped in him? Really good show and I will definitely keep watching.

It's an infant spirit called Genesis (at least in the comic) that is the offspring of the coupling of an Angel and a Demon. Jesse can invoke this spirit's power by commanding people to follow his explicit instructions. In the comic this power was referred to as "The Word of God".

6 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

It's an infant spirit called Genesis (at least in the comic) that is the offspring of the coupling of an Angel and a Demon. Jesse can invoke this spirit's power by commanding people to follow his explicit instructions. In the comic this power was referred to as "The Word of God".

Interesting. I'm really digging it, and think this show has a ton of potential.

1 minute ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Interesting. I'm really digging it, and think this show has a ton of potential.

I haven't had a chance to checkout the TV series yet, but I loved the comic. Well worth collecting in tradepaperback, IMHO. Pretty twisted, but also very well written. 

Well Shit! Quincannon's salvation turned to shit a lot quicker than I thought. What are all the unintended consequences we're going to see from his little Dear Abby session in the diner?

On 23/06/2016 at 0:30 PM, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

This is probably my favourite show out at the moment I have to say.

There was one scene this episode with Cassidy and the Angels in the hotel room, the way it was written and acted felt just a good quality UK comedy, perfect acting and timing (accents aside). 

I disagree the show is slow as well. It hasn't quite got a central thread or direction just yet but there are enough quality elements its all building to, that make me keep watching.

It simply has far too many entertaining scenes in it within every episode for me to ever be bored as well. 

There is a "british" feel to the show now you mention it. Not just because of all the british actors and the fact the comic is by a Northen Irish writer but the execution often has that feel too. There was a show called "utopia" in the UK that feels similar in tone to "preacher" eg very dark and off-kilter.

The last episode packed a lot in. The Tulip and Cassidy development twists up the source material a bit but it's clear the show is its own thing.

The guy with the broken arm is oddly someone I'm starting to sympathise with. Maybe because he's worked out what the Preaher is doing it and feels powerless. I'm sure he'll do something awful but at the moment it's interesting to see his character growth.

Quincannon stole the show again. I was waiting for him to posion the notion of his order and he delivered. Haley is killing the scenes.

4 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Well Shit! Quincannon's salvation turned to shit a lot quicker than I thought. What are all the unintended consequences we're going to see from his little Dear Abby session in the diner?

I'm trying to remember what advice he was giving out? One was to "be patient" and another was "use your best judgement". There's scope for those to go wrong. I also wonder how "forgive" me turn out? Maybe a play on forgive but dont forget and it drives the mother mad? It certainly seems that the use of the voice results in something bad so far.

I'm pleased he hasn't used it on Tulip yet which I guess shows Jesse knows what he's doing isn't exactly right.

The pace is still a bit too slow but otherwise it is really getting better. The newly saved Qunicannon i great and Jackie Earl Haley is fantastic as the new upbeat and more crazy version of him. Jesse mishandling the voice is also really good and is definitely going to backfire spectacularly. Donny has also become interesting as the only person who seems to recognize what Jesse can do. I'm not sure what to think of Tulip and Cassidy hooking up at this point, but I guess it makes sense from a show-perspective.

I'm not too fond of Jesse and Tulip's past as hardened killers working for a cartel.

I really liked the wild west bit even though it still feels kinda out of place. That duster-coat he's wearing is awful though.

Oh yeah (comic book spoilers)

Spoiler

Where the fuck is John Wayne? 

6 hours ago, GallowKnight said:

Glad it's getting the chance to hook an audience. The soft approach probably was wiser than going all in with The Grail, Herr Starr and Jesse's extended family (although there has been hints at all of those). I think that may have caused too much controversy. Still hope they get around to them though.

17 hours ago, red snow said:

Glad it's getting the chance to hook an audience. The soft approach probably was wiser than going all in with The Grail, Herr Starr and Jesse's extended family (although there has been hints at all of those). I think that may have caused too much controversy. Still hope they get around to them though.

Yeah... I would have gone in a different direction.... but I think the short first season laying the groundwork for a crazy S2 is a good idea ... if that;s their plan.... its probably a little too slow... but if the payoff is worth it, then it was a good strategy

Late to the party just binged it. Didn't read the comics and loving it so far. Maybe my binging helped but it doesn't seem that slow to me.

Can I make a bit of a request though? Spoiler tags on stuff from the comics? Just mentioning names is fine, but I'd kind have preferred to have learned about Genesis' origins from the show not the thread.

Basically just ignore this. Because I'm an idiot.

Spoiler

Ok so that was a disappointing finale. The show always feels like it's building these threads to eventually come together, and this episode is no different which doesn't really work for a finale. There was no real payoff anywhere, everything is just cliffhanging.

I'm really liking the ability to shift between comedy and gory darkness (for a cable show.)

Eugene has gone to hell, I assume he has literally gone. Odin has gone shotgun crazy and we don't know why, and the mayor has wussed out and lied to cover himself (whilst claiming it was for the towns benefit.) Tullip seems to be just waiting for something to do. Donnie is up in the air too, he's presumably going to go crazy(er) eventually (as a brief aside that guy has incredible arms, at least the one that doesn't have bones sticking out of it.)

It kind of felt like a mid chapter from a Stephen King book, you know it's all converging horribly. But with a book you can just keep reading, here we have to wait till Season 2, and I can't help but feel some of that impending dread will have ebbed by then.

Archived