Preacher- AMC Comic Adaptation

Morpheus

7 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Um, that was only episode 6.  Out of 10.

That opening hotel fight scene was everything that's amazing about this show.  

Lol, yeah that wasn't the finale.. Id still have enjoyed it even if it was however. I'm loving this show more and more now. Maybe I should go and read the comics.

10 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Um, that was only episode 6.  Out of 10.

That opening hotel fight scene was everything that's amazing about this show.  

Agreed. That was the best scene since Tulip making the rocket launcher with the kids. 

Really enjoyed this episode. 

I'm starting to wonder if the two guys with the  cowboy hats are from hell rather than heaven,seeing as they are fighting Angels and all. Or at least one of them is when they first sit down with Jesse they put an odd emphasis on them both being from heaven, 

Great opening and "go to hell, Eugene" was a nice closer (stronger than the actual ending of the mayor covering up odin's killings).

Eugene is very different from the comics but I like this take as well - he's a lot more more intelligent, at least emotionally and found him realising his forgiveness wasn't earned was a nice touch. I'm trying to remember what he did again? Did he cause a car accident with that resulted in a girl's death and he attempted suicide because of it? I vaguelly recall that but it's very different from the comic.

1 hour ago, red snow said:

Great opening and "go to hell, Eugene" was a nice closer (stronger than the actual ending of the mayor covering up odin's killings).

Eugene is very different from the comics but I like this take as well - he's a lot more more intelligent, at least emotionally and found him realising his forgiveness wasn't earned was a nice touch. I'm trying to remember what he did again? Did he cause a car accident with that resulted in a girl's death and he attempted suicide because of it? I vaguelly recall that but it's very different from the comic.

I don't think they've said what exactly Eugene did to cause the girl's current state, have they? If they did, I totally missed it.

1 hour ago, MisterSrna said:

I don't think they've said what exactly Eugene did to cause the girl's current state, have they? If they did, I totally missed it.

I've maybe filled in some blanks from him stating guilt as the source of the suicide attempt and the mother's reaction. It seems like he's responsible for whatever happened to that girl. Although I admit to some additional confusion as to whether the girl Eugene visited was the same one that fell off a horse. There shouldn't be that many catotonic teenage girls in a small town but if they were the same then I'm almost certain they said she fell off a horse so Eugene would have to be responsible for her falling off in some way. If they are the same girl.

I really need to watch shows more carefully. Lost must have burned me out back in the day.

That was probably the best episode since the pilot. The fight scene was fantastic and hilarious, plus it's nice to have everything regarding Genesis laid out. Tulip is also getting a lot better now that she is actually interacting with characters and isn't just moping about Jesse. Cassidy continues to be great. The bit with Eugene was also great and I'm positively surprised with how they have handled his character so far. Too bad we didn't get to check in with Quincannon this week.

However I'm afraid that they are making Jesse way too unlikeable. Walking around and mind-raping people does not exactly do anything to endear him to me and that can be a problem when they get around to wanting us to sympathise with him.

And I'm wondering, if Genesis is able to spontaneously teleport Eugene to hell, shouldn't it have been able to make Cassidy fly when he and Jesse was trying it out?

Comic Book Spoilers

Spoiler

I'm thinking that we will get one more Ratwater flashback and then we'll have the Saint make an appearance in the season finale.

Hopefully we'll get the Pilgrim next season.

2 hours ago, GallowKnight said:

That was probably the best episode since the pilot. The fight scene was fantastic and hilarious, plus it's nice to have everything regarding Genesis laid out. Tulip is also getting a lot better now that she is actually interacting with characters and isn't just moping about Jesse. Cassidy continues to be great. The bit with Eugene was also great and I'm positively surprised with how they have handled his character so far. Too bad we didn't get to check in with Quincannon this week.

However I'm afraid that they are making Jesse way too unlikeable. Walking around and mind-raping people does not exactly do anything to endear him to me and that can be a problem when they get around to wanting us to sympathise with him.

And I'm wondering, if Genesis is able to spontaneously teleport Eugene to hell, shouldn't it have been able to make Cassidy fly when he and Jesse was trying it out?

Comic Book Spoilers

Reveal hidden contents

I'm thinking that we will get one more Ratwater flashback and then we'll have the Saint make an appearance in the season finale.

Hopefully we'll get the Pilgrim next season.

I wouldn't go so far as saying Jesse was unlikeable. I think he was suffering with  crisis of faith and so far he thinks he's using his power for good eg Odin, the increased congregation, helping Eugene etc. How he responds to Eugene and the eventual revelation that his power is making things work will determine whether we sympathise with him. It;s clear the show is pushing the anti-hero aspect though - understandable given the channel's success with Walter White and the like.

I'm also reassured how the characters appear to be mixing quite well.

As for Eugene, I'm thinking it will turn out to be a metaphorical hell and that Eugene simply ran out of the building incredibly fast and has went to his own personal hell - which might be something to do with the girl or have him pointing a firearm in his face. If he's really gone to hell then his powers are a bit different from the comic. I imagine he could tell the Angels to go to hell as they can probably do that but I don't think his voice can make people do the impossible eg fly, turn to gold, speak a language they don't know (athough they'd try and sound like the language they were commanded to speak). We'll find out next week hopefully.

Nice shout-out to his gran in the episode as well - increases the chance of seeing that story play out. I think they could easily do a partial season with his relatives - maybe even a full season if they create a community based story revolving around them like they have done in season 1.

^^^^THIS (In regards to the power of THE VOICE)

It can't make it possible for you to do something that you're incapable of doing. Cassidy can't fly, so it can only compel him to try. It could result in compelling him to do something really stupid in relation to that compulsion (jump off a tall building, or whatever) but it wouldn't grant him the power of flight.

The hotel fight scene might be one of my favourite bits of physical comedy in recent years.

Never read any of the comics but enjoying the show so far.

Red Snow's explanation about Eugune going to his own personal hell (probably the place where he shot himself or did whatever resulted in the coma girl) makes sense to me as they showed with Cassidy it is all about interpretation, like ME said with the flying but also the 'sing me some Johnny Cash' now I'm guessing unlike the Gov of Texas thing Cass actually knows who Johnny Cash is and some of his songs but that's how he interpreted the orders over what Jesse might have intended.

Speculation:

Spoiler

Quincannon killed Jesse's dad right?

Glad they got the vampire in the room out there.

Jesse sure took a turn for the less sympathetic as well.

Was that a real battle Quincannon was recreating? Is the South really that obsessed with the Civil War?

Another solid episode. Jesse is such an asshole though and I kinda hope this is his peak unlikeability because it's going to be hard to root for him if he gets worse. When Cassidy is the morally righteous one, you know it is bad.

I don't like Eugene's backstory at all, it makes him very unsympathetic and you'd think he'd be in jail after that. I hope that is not all there is to it. However I do like how much more likeable his father is compared to the comic book version.

Spoiler

Yeah, T.C and Jody in da House! I guess that means we're getting Angelville after all.

21 minutes ago, The BlackBear said:

Was that a real battle Quincannon was recreating? Is the South really that obsessed with the Civil War?

I'm pretty sure that was the battle of the Alamo, not a civil war battle.

22 minutes ago, GallowKnight said:

Ah I see, looking it up that seems the one. I connected it with Donnie Schenck's (RIP his nipple) re-enactment.Just highlights my minimal knowledge of American History.

Whole bunch of armed assholes with limited visibility going to a secluded church in the night when there just might be a vampire in need of some blood right now? I'm looking forwards to a horror film style massacre next week.  

22 hours ago, GallowKnight said:

Another solid episode. Jesse is such an asshole though and I kinda hope this is his peak unlikeability because it's going to be hard to root for him if he gets worse. When Cassidy is the morally righteous one, you know it is bad.

I don't like Eugene's backstory at all, it makes him very unsympathetic and you'd think he'd be in jail after that. I hope that is not all there is to it. However I do like how much more likeable his father is compared to the comic book version.

Reveal hidden contents

Yeah, T.C and Jody in da House! I guess that means we're getting Angelville after all.

They are walking a fine line with Jesse as he should show some remorse for Eugene as why would have helped him so much prior to that? I guess it is arrogance at Eugene not being grateful and I think he's getting a bit drunk on power and self-righteousness. Although it is interesting how in the first episode he lost his faith and in this one he points out angels are real and he has the voice of a angel/demon inside of him. I can see how someone with faith might get a bit over zealous. I hope/look forward to him getting a dose of reality soon.

What did he do to Cassidy? Did he leave him to burn or did he put him out and dump him in the shade? Depending on which one there's some hope for Jesse still. If he left Cassidy to burn that's low. Then again he thinks a kid is in hell and doesn't give  ashit.

Still dubious about the possibility the voice sent him to hell. The fact Cassidy witnessed events makes it unlikley Eugene snuck out while Jesse's back was turned.

Also what's the deal with Quincannon? Is he immune to the voice or was it a simple case of "you never told me to forget about the deal but I did serve god". If he's immune then why? If he's not then why didn't Jesse just say "forget about the deal"? I'm guessing he has to be immune otherwise the last episode isn't much of a cliffhanger. I wonder if the minions had headphones on in that last scene? Quincannon's right hand man appears to have worked out the power Jesse has.

Guess we got Eugene's backstory pretty quickly after wondering if they'd already stated it. It's far worse than I'd expected. Like others said that's murder plain and simple and I doubt a kid could remain in the same town let alone the sheriiff keep his job off the back of it (aren't sherriff's voted in in parts of america?). If he did do things the way Jesse stated then I'm afraid I don't have much sympathy for him either. Let's hope there's more to it - but it's extrapolating from the comics. In the comics

Eugene was in a suicide pact with another boy. Maybe in the show he was in a suicide pact with the girl and he said he killed her to spare her family the trauma of knowing it was suicide

I think that would be a good compromise.

8 minutes ago, red snow said:

They are walking a fine line with Jesse as he should show some remorse for Eugene as why would have helped him so much prior to that? I guess it is arrogance at Eugene not being grateful and I think he's getting a bit drunk on power and self-righteousness. Although it is interesting how in the first episode he lost his faith and in this one he points out angels are real and he has the voice of a angel/demon inside of him. I can see how someone with faith might get a bit over zealous. I hope/look forward to him getting a dose of reality soon.

I reckon Jesse's indifference to Eugene's fate was actually Genesis' indifference. The episode title (He's Gone) likely refers to Jesse as much as Eugene.

A lot of wheel-spinning in this episode, something which the show's been guilty of from the start.

Archived