Not a Blog: New Dunk & Egg titles

Rhaenys_Targaryen

So, this has been posted on GRRM's Not a Blog

http://grrm.livejournal.com/412015.html?page=3#comments

The question was whether GRRM had any idea on how many Dunk & Egg tales he wanted to write, as he had once said "12". The answer was:

That's just a guess. I write them one at a time, years apart. So I am not really sure.

But I do have notes and fairly specific ideas for a number of them. There's the one set in the north that people have been calling "The She-Wolves of Winterfell," though that will not actually be the title. After that -- or maybe before, if I jump around in time -- there will be "The Village Hero," "The Sellsword," "The Champion," "The Kingsguard," "The Lord Commander," and several more in between.

The She-Wolves of Winterfell, we already knew about, despite this not being the actual title, this is the title the fandom knows the tale as for the time being. We know roughly what the start-point will be here.

Dunk and Egg will go to Winterfell, meet the She-Wolves, while Lord Beron Stark is dying (or has just died, I'm not sure anymore).

The Village Hero is also a title we had learned about previously, but all we knew it was set to take place in the Riverlands.

The other titles are, as far as I am aware, completely new to us.

So the purpose I wish to give this thread... What will these future tales be about?

My take:

The Village Hero: Dunk and Egg in the Riverlands, will help out a small village. During this adventure, Egg meets Betha Blackwood.

The Sellsword: Not quite certain on this one, but so far, the titles have mostly been about Dunk... So Dunk will become a sellsword temporarily?

The Champion: Depending on whether these titles are given chronologically or not, I could see this one being Dunk versus Lord Lyonel Baratheon

The Kingsguard: Clearly, Dunk entering the KG

The Lord Commander: And, Dunk becomming LC of the KG.

The last two titles seem the most straight forward, but perhaps other people have other idea's, or more detailed idea's, on the titles just revealed?

I think the Lord Commander is about Dunk actually meeting a LC and being named KG. I somehow feel the Champion could be about Dunk being really knighted.

Oe! That's also a good option..

What knight would grant Dunk a knighthood, after Dunk went around for years lying about being a knight? That seems like a contradiction to me.

Would Egg do it in private after Egg himself was knighted?

IMHO, it would cheapen Dunk's character if he accepted knighthood later, after lying about having been knighted.

What knight would grant Dunk a knighthood, after Dunk went around for years lying about being a knight? That seems like a contradiction to me.

Would Egg do it in private after Egg himself was knighted?

IMHO, it would cheapen Dunk's character if he accepted knighthood later, after lying about having been knighted.

I doubt that Dunk would agree to becoming LC of the KG, or even a KG, without being knighted though.. He felt guilty about lying about it in 209 AC already..

Though perhaps that feeling will pass in time..

But I do have notes and fairly specific ideas for a number of them. There's the one set in the north that people have been calling "The She-Wolves of Winterfell," though that will not actually be the title. After that -- or maybe before, if I jump around in time -- there will be "The Village Hero," "The Sellsword," "The Champion," "The Kingsguard," "The Lord Commander," and several more in between.

I just wanna make sure I'm understanding this right. Is he saying The Village Hero takes place after "She-Wolves" but there's a chance he might release it next?

Oe! That's also a good option..

Now I think about it, LC could also be about a Lord Commander of the Wall. Aemon and BR eventually will go there. I can't remember if Dunk actually goes with them, but GRRM can always change his mind or make it work so he could know the LC of the Watch at the time.

I doubt that Dunk would agree to becoming LC of the KG, or even a KG, without being knighted though.. He felt guilty about lying about it in 209 AC already..

Though perhaps that feeling will pass in time..

I always thought he might say some knightly vows in front of a weirwood while he's up north. Not the traditional way to become a knight and wrong religion, but a good way to start feeling better about it and give us a peak into more of the old gods. He may even be inspired by seeing some of the NW take their vows. :dunno:

Just a thought but could his talk of jumping around in time make The Sellsword take place before TSS when he was fighting the IB? That would be awesome I'd think and we do have a fairly lengthy gap between Ashford and TSS. That covers the spring sickness, the royal deaths that pave the way for Egg's ascension to the throne, all of their time in Dorne looking for TtT, sea battles against the IB,and best of all the visit to Oldtown where he slams a few back with a young Aemon! Seems to good a scene to ignore doesn't it?

I just wanna make sure I'm understanding this right. Is he saying The Village Hero takes place after "She-Wolves" but there's a chance he might release it next?

Yeah hero could be next but only if he jumps around in time. He has been odd about the book formerly known as She Wolves, there is some kind of clue in there he does not want addressed till after Winds.

As for the titles.

Dunk was in the KG when he fought the laughing Storm and he only seemed to be considering Hero when and Wolves when jumping around. I would guess we get a lot more Bloodraven.

Dunk and Egg is often used to fill in historical blanks and give a perspective.

TNFKASHOW, takes place in the North and will touch on Winterfell.

Villiage Hero, Blackwood lands maybe, but maybe not directly fighting for a powerful house during the peek of it's power. Village seems to denote a smaller scale than that. I can go in a few directions here, Dunk is the hero of a villiage, or Dunk has to fight the hero of a villiage in which case you can go in a lot of directions. Dunk tanks a fight and makes someone a hero, a corrupt or dick character passing himself off as a hero.

The Sellsword, The Mystery night was not about Dunk, come to think of it neither was She Wolves, so they don't have to refer to him. Going from hedge knight, to sworn sword to sell sword would seem like going backwards. Maybe Dunk and Egg travel overseas, to Braavos or Essos for a little world tour. Be good for a future King to get a little experience in foreign relations. Seems like if he wanted he could get in a lords levy as Sworn Sword and get paid. I am thinking Dunk and egg go to Essos, oh Dunks just going to love that place. Maybe we meet Aenys.

The Champion, Probably has something to do with Aegon being named King. Dunk wins a tourney? Finally, and Aenys gets dead.

KG: Well lots of KL. Laughing Storm.

Lord Commander: Dunk takes Bloodraven and Aemon North.

I know Martin has even more planned than this, but I expect the last one to be titled Summerhall. In which all readers will learn to hate someone with a passion and then pretend they didn't cry at the end.

Pooh, interesting.

Ser Creighton, I thought that The Village Hero could possibly take place in Pennytree. It's tied to Arlan, and a dispute resolution there might answer why it's belongs to the Crown.

The Mystery Knight did sort of refer to Dunk...though more to Daemon II...it works as referring to both. But I guess "The Sellsword" could be about a BF rebellion at some point.

ETA: one of these must deal with Maekar's death, surely?

Pooh, interesting.

Ser Creighton, I thought that The Village Hero could possibly take place in Pennytree. It's tied to Arlan, and a dispute resolution there might answer why it's belongs to the Crown.

The Mystery Knight did sort of refer to Dunk...though more to Daemon II...it works as referring to both. But I guess "The Sellsword" could be about a BF rebellion at some point.

ETA: one of these must deal with Maekar's death, surely?

Yea well probably get some Vulture King action at some point. When depends on how many of these stories he wants to do before Egg becomes Aegon V. We'll see Maekar again during the BF rebellion (can't recall offhand if that's the fourth or fifth? Fourth I believe but could be wrong). It's likely we'll see him again leading up to his death unless that story begins Egg finding out he's just been killed. Should be interesting bc tWoiaF made it sound like Aemon going to the Wall was much less altruistic than Mormont implied to Jon in Game. GRRM loves to show us the good and the bad of his characters, and what would be more unexpected than the younger Aemon being totally different than the kindly grandfather figure we've all come to love.

So, this has been posted on GRRM's Not a Blog

The question was whether GRRM had any idea on how many Dunk & Egg tales he wanted to write, as he had once said "12". The answer was:

That's just a guess. I write them one at a time, years apart. So I am not really sure.

The She-Wolves of Winterfell, we already knew about, despite this not being the actual title, this is the title the fandom knows the tale as for the time being. We know roughly what the start-point will be here.

Dunk and Egg will go to Winterfell, meet the She-Wolves, while Lord Beron Stark is dying (or has just died, I'm not sure anymore).

The Village Hero is also a title we had learned about previously, but all we knew it was set to take place in the Riverlands.

The other titles are, as far as I am aware, completely new to us.

So the purpose I wish to give this thread... What will these future tales be about?

My take:

The Village Hero: Dunk and Egg in the Riverlands, will help out a small village. During this adventure, Egg meets Betha Blackwood.

The Sellsword: Not quite certain on this one, but so far, the titles have mostly been about Dunk... So Dunk will become a sellsword temporarily?

The Champion: Depending on whether these titles are given chronologically or not, I could see this one being Dunk versus Lord Lyonel Baratheon

The Kingsguard: Clearly, Dunk entering the KG

The Lord Commander: And, Dunk becomming LC of the KG.

The last two titles seem the most straight forward, but perhaps other people have other idea's, or more detailed idea's, on the titles just revealed?

I'm diggin it R_T. Thanks for the info.

A direct link would be great. And jump on the chance to ask additional questions like whether he wants to jump around in the time line or continue chronologically.

'The Village Hero' could both come before 'The She-Wolves' chronologically as well as publication-wise, as George could simply have D & E chance on some guy telling them where Pennytree is, causing them to make a detour checking it rather than going North directly after Whitewalls.

TMK did not have them not on the road again in the end, so it is not impossible that they talk to some guy in Bloodraven's army who tells them where the place can be found.

And 'The Sellsword' is Dunk providing for his wife Princess Daella in Essos after they have been exiled. Daella did not pull a Rhaenyra on her (white) knight. It is known.

Archived