Realistically, If The Wall Comes Down, How Does It Happen?

Blazfemur

Well considering the bulk of the watch consists primarily of the dregs of Westerosi society, it makes sense that honor fell at times.

My guess is that Ned is probably referring to the early years after the initial threat. People then probably understood the walls importance, and by the time we read about Westeros most people in the south mock the wall. Serving at the wall in no longer honorable, it is an alternative choice to death, castration, or maiming.

precisely. as a whole, the watch, and their intentions, have failed. most of them dont even know what theyre fighting for anymore.

always keep in mind, too, we dont know if the wall is magical, only a physical barrier. it's not bloodraven's cave. we've also seen the wight in mormont's solar. it was blatantly on the wall. there's a good chance:

1) it's not magical at all, we havent seen it react with Others, and

2) if it was magical, it certainly isnt anymore, the watch has failed

i thought mel mentions feeling stronger at the wall than even at assahi because it is magical? we have no idea if there is some kind of barrier but i thought we got confirmation that there is some of magic to it.

i thought mel mentions feeling stronger at the wall then even at assahi because it is magical? we have no idea if there is some kind of barrier but i thought we got confirmation that there is some of magic to it.

she does feel more empowered, in fact she's radiant, at the wall.

still, you cant deny there was a wight in mormont's solar, and, we havent seen an Other approach the wall. I need to reiterate: the wall isnt bloodraven's cave.

in fact, i would further say if TNK will be making an appearance, he was and possibly still is a member of the watch. cant he go through the gate?

*cough* Shireen *cough*

ive never even thought of that. heh. and in all the debates people bring up craster's baby. this brings new line of thought actually.

Its not even an "anymore" to the vast majority, they never knew.its a glorified prison colony now

australia, as a whole, it would seem

she does feel more empowered, in fact she's radiant, at the wall.

still, you cant deny there was a wight in mormont's solar, and, we havent seen an Other approach the wall. I need to reiterate: the wall isnt bloodraven's cave.

in fact, i would further say if TNK will be making an appearance, he was and possibly still is a member of the watch. cant he go through the gate?

never said it was like bloodraven's cave,

but "we don't know if it is magical" is untrue there is magic but who knows what kind of magic?

I've wondered about the Wall coming down and it's a puzzle. If it melts then the resulting floods would be enormous. I hadn't thought of a comet hitting it, but that would be like a huge bomb and what would be left?

The Wall coming down could be metaphorical. Think of the Black Gate at the Nightfort; it is controlled by magic. Also the Wall weeps and repairs itself...magic? If magic is getting stronger in the world, then the magic at the Wall would too, which may be what Mel feels.

But the Watch is no longer 'true'. The mutiny at Craster's which murdered LC Mormont and was a gross violation of guest rights. Mance Rayder, a deserter to the Watch, was allowed to live and leave the Wall heading south. The Watch has almost become a penal colony.

So perhaps the Wall can now be breached by the Others, WW's and wights.

never said it was like bloodraven's cave,

but "we don't know if it is magical" is untrue there is magic but who knows what kind of magic?

it's not confirmed, to be specific, it does anything but stand there. and possibly empower melisandre. it's not confirmed to be other repellent, is all i mean. in fact it'd be quite anti-climactic if Others approached the wall and suddenly vanished in a pile of dust, would it not?

I've wondered about the Wall coming down and it's a puzzle. If it melts then the resulting floods would be enormous. I hadn't thought of a comet hitting it, but that would be like a huge bomb and what would be left?

The Wall coming down could be metaphorical. Think of the Black Gate at the Nightfort; it is controlled by magic. Also the Wall weeps and repairs itself...magic? If magic is getting stronger in the world, then the magic at the Wall would too, which may be what Mel feels.

But the Watch is no 'true'. The mutiny at Craster's which murdered LC Mormont and was a gross violation of guest rights. Mance Rayder, a deserter to the Watch, was allowed to live and leave the Wall heading south. The Watch has almost become a penal colony.

i think youd fall into the "there was once magic, but now it's failed" category, am i correct? perhaps there were wards, put up by the cotf when they alligned with the watch and gave them obsidian, that had some value at one point.

thats the thing, i cant see the wall, melting, all at once, or dissipating into mist, or anything of the like. realistically, breaking through it, would be so satisfying. if this red comet, this sign of ascension to many pov characters, was a sign of ascension, but not to who you think ;)

it's a massive structure, i wouldnt think it'd break down so easily. but that comet hitting it -- thats symbolic. breaking a passage through it, watching ti crumble, the death that results, the death that results in the birth of wights, former night's watchmen, who forsake their vows in blasphemy. the corruption, coming to a head, and their most prized possession, crumbling beneath their feet.

i love it.

it's not confirmed, to be specific, it does anything but stand there. and possibly empower melisandre. it's not confirmed to be other repellent, is all i mean. in fact it'd be quite anti-climactic if Others approached the wall and suddenly vanished in a pile of dust, would it not?

that could be cool if makes all magic users stronger like wargs, mel, and those waterbending people the valyrians killed. i would be cool if we saw the wall once had a place from greenseers

But the Watch is no longer 'true'. The mutiny at Craster's which murdered LC Mormont and was a gross violation of guest rights. Mance Rayder, a deserter to the Watch, was allowed to live and leave the Wall heading south. The Watch has almost become a penal colony.

have members of the watch ever turn against the lord commander like they did jon?

also i still would love to see an ice quake!!!

Does anyone feel it WONT come down?

I feel like it must come down. Since we already saw the NW defending the wall twice before (against the Thenn's and Mance's army). The great battle against the Other's can't be a repeat of previous battles IMO. It has to be more threatening. In classic fantasy tradition, the magic that acts as a buffer to evil has to fade/fail, so the hero(es) can defeat "the evil." I do believe GRRM will complicate this classic plot, but if Azor Ahai is going to fight the Others, he can't have the Wall to hide behind.

Its not even an "anymore" to the vast majority, they never knew.its a glorified prison colony now

This is true. Many men on the Wall chose the NW over losing a hand or being killed or some other form of corporal punishment. Then to put them on rangings and say "fight or die"... well, that's why mutinies happen. It's great to say they're "sworn brothers," but when the Lord Commanders don't really know what drives their men (survival) and think honor is enough...bad things happen.

Ygritte tells Jon that the Wall is made of blood, not ice, and I truly believe that.

Mel's best magic is blood based, there is a Heart Tree under the Wall (also blood magic) and the NW is actually just a long list of blood sacrifices.

So, the Wall would never be "invincible", in a physical manner, that's not what's keeping the WW away, but the never ending blood sacrifices made on it.

That's what makes Mel feel more powerful IMHO

Archived