The irrational Sweetrobin hate

Mithras

Sweetrobin is the character who by far the gets the most irrational and undeserved hatred.

Being raised by a whackjob elder is masterfully used to dodge the flaks on Dany but it never comes to mind about Sweetrobin.

Just for being a kid and playing with some stupid snow made castle which can easily be remade, he gets slapped by a savage teen and his doll is ripped apart.

People plot his death and poison him regularly but he is hated for it whereas Dany gets the sympathy when the Harpy does the same to her.

He is blamed for being an annoying, spoiled kid (which is patently wrong because considering the shit he has been through, his psychology is quite good - the seed is fecking strong!). But Dany is loved and whitewashed for having a messed up psychology when she fails.

Using Sweetrobin as an excuse to bash Dany. I don't think people hate SR, they just have disregard for his life similar to his own for Tyrion in the 1st book. He didn't hate Tyrion he just wanted to see him die for his own entertainment.

Using Sweetrobin as an excuse to bash Dany. I don't think people hate SR, they just have disregard for his life similar to his own for Tyrion in the 1st book. He didn't hate Tyrion he just wanted to see him die for his own entertainment.

I agree.

Also, by this logic, should we excuse Joffrey since he was just a kid raised by Cersei?

Edit:: I don't entirely mean this, just being snarky.

I was actually going to agree with you that the SR hate is irrational (because it is) but then, you had to bring Dany to the discussion.

Because if we bring Dany to the discussion, then we better remember that while they both were raised by nutjobs, Dany was able to realise Viserys was in the wrong. Also, Viserys was physically and emotionally abusive towards Dany, to the point of hitting her and threaten her with sexual abuse, while the abuse Lysa inflicted upon SR was the kind of spoiling some parents cause without realising it and that makes their children believe the pampering parent is on the right, hence, not believing they have been bad parents.

So, we have this mom making his child believe he's better than anyone else and is untouchable on one hand, while on the other, we have this brother who made his sister believe HE WAS the one better than anyone else and was untouchable and above everything, while kept putting her down and humiliating her. Similar cases, yes, but not the same. The abuse Dany endure had nothing to do with the abuse (bad parenting is abuse) SR has suffered his whole life.

Sweetrobin was six. Children that age retain still a lot of psychopathic characteristics they'll grow out of. Newborn babes are indeed full-blown psychopaths.

He only recently developed coherent memories!

I was actually going to agree with you that the SR hate is irrational (because it is) but then, you had to bring Dany to the discussion.

Because if we bring Dany to the discussion, then we better remember that while they both were raised by nutjobs, Dany was able to realise Viserys was in the wrong. Also, Viserys was physically and emotionally abusive towards Dany, to the point of hitting her and threaten her with sexual abuse, while the abuse Lysa inflicted upon SR was the kind of spoiling some parents cause without realising it and that makes their children believe the pampering parent is on the right, hence, not believing they have been bad parents.

So, we have this mom making his child believe he's better than anyone else and is untouchable on one hand, while on the other, we have this brother who made his sister believe HE WAS the one better than anyone else and was untouchable and above everything, while kept putting her down and humiliating her. Similar cases, yes, but not the same. The abuse Dany endure had nothing to do with the abuse (bad parenting is abuse) SR has suffered his whole life.

Dany at her worst was thirteen. She got no excuse.

Sweetrobin is the character who by far the gets the most irrational and undeserved hatred.

Being raised by a whackjob elder is masterfully used to dodge the flaks on Dany but it never comes to mind about Sweetrobin.

Just for being a kid and playing with some stupid snow made castle which can easily be remade, he gets slapped by a savage teen and his doll is ripped apart.

People plot his death and poison him regularly but he is hated for it whereas Dany gets the sympathy when the Harpy does the same to her.

He is blamed for being an annoying, spoiled kid (which is patently wrong because considering the shit he has been through, his psychology is quite good - the seed is fecking strong!). But Dany is loved and whitewashed for having a messed up psychology when she fails.

Same goes for Cersei, Joffrey (especially) and Aerys. Why are they hated?

ahhahaha. YUP, main point of the OP obviously.

I've never seen anyone spend hours if not days of their lives to create completely nonsensical theories that try to undermine anything and everything Robin has ever done.(MMD hatched the dragons/MMD made Dany fireproof) I've never seen anyone ever make a thread just to bash Robin. Plenty of people don't like him, and as far as characters go I don't see any reason to be surprised by that. Disliking a character is not irrational, hating a fictional character to the degree certain people hate Jon, Tyrion, and most of all Danaerys is definitely irrational.

If I am wrong and there are in fact threads on here made only to bash Robin, then yes that is irrational, but as I am on here every day and have never seen one I do not think there is any irrational hatred of him.

Dany at her worst was thirteen. She got no excuse.

Excuse for what? For being the survivor of abusive parenting? For not having a guidance in her life? :dunno:

My point was never say "oh, Dany has no blames because she also had a shitty life". My point is that Dany and SR have different situations, yet it's easier to feel sorry for Dany because she was indeed violently abused by Viserys, even when Viserys himself was a victim as he was a child who had to take care of himself and his sister since he was very young and inexperienced. Dany had no proper education, except for the few bits Viserys managed to teach her (hey, someone had to teach her how to read, write and even some Valyrian, right?). He tried to educated her in the few moments of sanity he had. Of course she's flawed and make mistakes. SR, otoh, is a different case. He was neglected education because his mother was overprotective. And he definitely had a over-sheltered life. It's even easier to see him as some spoiled brat rather than a victim because he hasn't suffered the same things Dany has. Yet, they both are victims. Joffrey and Viserys are also victims too.

Hatred for Sweetrobin strikes me as a bit irrational since the child is six years old and has been raised by a complete fuck-up. He is sickly, and that is not likely to change, but with his mother out of the picture it is still possible that he can be raised by people who are not fuck-ups and grow to be a more emotionally balanced person than he is now. Another thing that strikes me as irrational is equating any opinions and feelings about Sweetrobin with opinions and feeling about Daenerys.

Where is this supposed outpouring of sympathy for Dany? Might exist somewhere in the fandom but I'm really not seeing much of it on these boards.

Really the only "excuse making" I see when it comes to Dany and Viserys is as an explanation for her lack of knowledge about the rebellion. Not as an explanation for her psychological state at large or any of her decisions in particular.

The OP just seems like a roundabout way of criticizing Dany. Which is fine but why not just do that? Three out of the six sentences in OP are just criticizing Dany with nothing to do with Sweetrobin.

As for a comparison of the twos hardships in life. Lysa is a nutter but there's no evidence she abused Robert, at least not physically. Also Robert had his father, who by all accounts is a pretty decent guy, in his life right up until the series started. Dany on the other hand was getting dragged around the free cities being repeatedly brutalized both physically and mentally with beatings and threats of rape. I'll take a nutty overbearing mother over that any day.

Archived