Your Random ASOIAF/TWOIAF/D&E Opinions, Confessions and Dirty Secrets

JonCon's Red Beard

Speaking of pants, if many Lords could simply drop them and compare penises to each other, they would solve many problems without innocent people dying. Like "yeah, my cock is smaller, you get to be King. I'll kneel". :dunno: Because that's basically what many wars in Westeros are... :/

crackpot:

Lysa tried to poison Catelyn right before the trial of Vardis and Bronn.

Stoneheart will marry Jaime to steal the Casterly Rock gold.

Daario is Aegon's mother.

random unlikely thoughts:

what if Bran used the CotF magic to drowned the Westerlands and the Iron Islands?

Could Greywatch Watch/Crannogmen send poison down the river and kill the Freys?

Will Dany learn to breathe fire?

random other thoughts:

Dany is the three headed dragon, the three heads are her actual dragons.

If anyone can ride more than one dragon, it will be Dany.

Valyrian blood is needed to tame dragons. Elio all but said that, and

Sansa is IMHO a better feminist character than Arya, and Cat is the best of all the women POVs.

I love that Dany and Sansa aren't warriors, though I do love Brienne.

I hope the unicorns on Skagos are traditional unicorns

unpopular opinions:

There are definite good guys (the Starks) and bad guys (Others, Lannisters, Greyjoys).

House Baratheon sucks,

Rhaegar and Lyanna did nothing wrong,

Lyanna was not a hypocrite,

zero problem with what happened to Pod and Hyle,

Sandor Clegane is utterly boring. He's only entertaining around Sansa, and that's mostly her, not him.

Sandor definitely intended to rape Sansa and tells Arya the truth about that later,

Cersei loves her children (love is not always good, she even says so herself.)

I think it's funny how a large part of the fandom dislikes AFFC/ADWD but gets mad when the showrunners decide to cut most of it out of the show.

All anyone has to do now is simply read AFFC/ADWD together as one book. That takes care of people's number one gripe about AFFC - it didn't contain the characters they most wanted and, thus, they felt put upon when having to "slog" through Brienne's "boring" chapters, etc. ;)

I actually loved AFFC - the first time I read it and every time since.

All anyone has to do now is simply read AFFC/ADWD together as one book. That takes care of people's number one gripe about AFFC - it didn't contain the characters they most wanted and, thus, they felt put upon when having to "slog" through Brienne's "boring" chapters, etc. ;)

I actually loved AFFC - the first time I read it and every time since.

Me too. Of course I was a bit disappointed at the first read when I realised I won't be seeing most of my favourite characters soon but that only encouraged me to finish the book that much faster. But I think AFFC contains so many interesting characters by its own right. I love the whole Dornish arc and I think when I turned the page to find the first Cersei chapter I screamed in joy because I'd waited three books wondering what goes on inside her head and then I was actually given her PoV...

And yeah, since we now have both books better just stop complaining and enjoy a combined reread. ;)

I do understand why so many people say these two books were the weakest in the series so far but it should be noted that they are the mid-point. The pieces are moving for the last setting, it's only a prelude to the endgame. My appreciation for both books grows with every reread when I'm able to get a more accurate picture of what is going on on a larger scale. I think their appreciation will (hopefully) grow after the series is finished and we have the full story. Then people will get the stuff that infuriated them before, like the Meereenese knot and other story arcs, hopefully.

I've always found Arya's chapters very boring, imo. And I also consider Clash to be my less favourite of the bunch.

I liked Arya a lot in the first books (although I think it's very improbable that a 10-years-old girl would be able to do 1/10 of the things she did) but I wanted so bad to hit her repeatedly with something very big and heavy after she left Sandor to die after he had taken care of her for quite some time and had saved her life. Her AFFC and ADWD and some of her ASOS chapters are pretty boring though, I agree.

Roose Bolton seems to be the main antagonist of the series from the end of ACOK to the start of TWOW, along with Mace (though only technically) and Cersei. Not counting the faceless, alien, always-chaotic-evil factions that are the main antagonists of the more fantasy centered stories, i.e. the Others and the Slavers.

random other thoughts:

Dany is the three headed dragon, the three heads are her actual dragons.

If anyone can ride more than one dragon, it will be Dany.

Valyrian blood is needed to tame dragons. Elio all but said that, and

Sansa is IMHO a better feminist character than Arya.

I love that Dany and Sansa aren't warriors, though I do love Brienne.

unpopular opinions:

There are definite good guys (the Starks) and bad guys (Others, Lannisters, Greyjoys).

House Baratheon sucks,

Rhaegar and Lyanna did nothing wrong.

Sandor Clegane is utterly boring. He's only entertaining around Sansa, and that's mostly her, not him.

Sandor definitely intended to rape Sansa and tells Arya the truth about that later,

Cersei loves her children (love is not always good, she even says so herself.)

I love you. I agree on all your aforementioned points.

My unpopular opinion is that the story of ASOIAF has more to do with character development and showcasing the cruelty of human nature than about plot points like iron throne, this vs that, magic, real heritage etc. Therefore:

- R+L=J holds true but it won't change anything politically. Jon is still a bastard and once Aegon is proved fake no one will believe him even if he had a claim to press. It will only affect his character.

- Dany will be the most accomplished character. She will control her dragons, unite the Dothraki, end the slave trade, take the iron throne, play a crucial part in fighting the Others - and die. Once she's dead (propably without an heir) all she accomplished will fade away. The Targaryens will die off, dragons will die off, the Dothraki will split up, slavery returns to Essos and Westeros falls back into a game of thrones. "What is the point of being a hero when you can not change human nature?" is the message GRRM is trying to get across with Daenerys.

- Like mentioned above, this series will have an open ending. In other words, the Others might be defeated but people will continue fighting one another because that is human nature.

Speaking of pants, if many Lords could simply drop them and compare penises to each other, they would solve many problems without innocent people dying. Like "yeah, my cock is smaller, you get to be King. I'll kneel". :dunno: Because that's basically what many wars in Westeros are... :/

Yes! I'm here for Tormund becoming the king. :D

-I've never been particularly concerned about whether or not Rhaegar and Lyanna actually married. For me, R+L=J is a way to eventually explore Jon's character and identity, not reveal him as the forgotten heir who will save everyone. Any chance of Jon being a Targaryen, at least in the eyes of the realm, died when Ned accepted him as his bastard.

-Building on that, I'm not even convinced that Jon's parentage will even become widely known to the realm at large.

-ADWD is as good as, if not better than in some parts, ASOS.

-Quentyn's arc in ADWD is easily one of my favorites from the entire series, and Quentyn is one of favorite characters. In fact, I'll go one step further by saying that after successive rereadings of the Meereen plotlines I can't imagine a successful narrative without something like it.

WTF is the Iron Bank up too? Wanting to collect on loans from the Crown? Fine. Giving money to Stannis because Cersei blew them off? Fine. Giving Jon a loan for no reason when it's clearly a bad loan and he gets favorable terms and even Jon was like well that was to easy but lalalala? No, just no, and I don't need new plot number 422 when plots 1-421 still need resolution.

After Sam kills an Other and a Wight I feel he is either a total bad ass which I know he isn't or that the Wildlings and Watch just suck that hard.

I have a horrible feeling that everything after the Dragons hatched too the begining of Winds is fust filler. Overly detailed filler because Martin could not make the time skip happen.

I think we should still get a time skip. The long night is suppose to be long and a year long winter in this world just does not do it for me. I feel like a lot of stories will suddenly be rushed and it will be a resolution storm.

People need to understand the difference between literal, and literary device in the books, not everything is literal.

One of, if not the main theme of Dance is identity, Jon Snows parents? In your identity crises book you skip Jon? He struggles between the Watch, the Wildlings and being a Stark. More and more as time goes on, book after book, his identity looks like it is becoming more and more of a bad plot device. In your own treatment you used it as a cheap plot device to resolve his feelings for Arya.

Jon is Nightbringer, everything in his story revolves around cold, dead and more dead including his birth.

The Starks are not as interesting as the Lannisters and the Targaryens are the most intresting house in the series, which is why they get the most play and backstory.

FAegon is pointless, he Stannis and Cersi will be a symbolic mirror of Roberts rebellion, the Tyrells will play the part of the rose. Littlefinger vs. Varys.

Fuck the High Sparrow didn't need yet another plot line that is filler.

Daario is a Blackfyre. Come at me, bro.

I hate all the Greyjoys. Not a fan of the Martells either, really.

I am still absolutely convinced that Tyrion is just a poor, misunderstood little boy who wants to be loved and that finding Tysha will make him the greatest human to ever live in Westerosi history.

Jon Snow for King Beyond the Wall!

Things I would be very happy to never heard about again: Sansa's sexuality and Sansa's empowering. I wish those things have corporeal forms so I could punch them on the face.

I like the Wall as a solution. "Duuuude... we have people coming to our part of the world, what do we do?"."get a wall? :dunno: ". Simple and effective :lol:

Doran's prowess at "playing the game" is vastly overrated.

I found the entire section of "The Targaryen Kings" in TWoIaF to be tedious as hell.

The potential king foreshadowing relating to Jon does not imply King on the IT, KiTN, or king beyond The Wall but rather King of Winter.

Dany, not Drogon, is TSWMTW

Varys poisoned Tywin for exactly the same reasons he killed Kevan

Three "heads" has the dragon refers to one person (TPtwP) and not three dragon riders.

The Hooded Man = Hallis Mollen.

Dragonlord blood is a minimum requirement for dragon bonding and A+J = T. Get used to it.

Martin should refrain from writing sex scenes or, at the very least, not attempt to go into too much detail. He isn't very good at it.

Archived