AFFC Appreciation Thread

Chebyshov

Exactly what it sounds like. This book is the target of a lot of negativity around here, but to me it may well be the best. And on every reread I find it to be the gift that keeps on giving.

I literally just finished my 5th? reread last night

Definitely my least fav of the 5 but any jaunt into GRRM's world is enjoyable

BUT

AFFC is very frustrating at this point as its hard to assess it, a lot of stuff seems irrelevant or unnecessary without the resolutions that are (hopefully) to come

For me, Game of Thrones was the introduction and the build. Clash of Kings had a lot of Tyrion shining as the Hand. Storm of Swords had the Red Wedding. Feast was a letdown (compared to the first 3) for me, personally, because the fighting was done. It had a lot of political tones, which can be its own kind of entertainment, but it was different from the first 3.

Like some others, it was a much easier pill to swallow after getting through it the first time. For me, though, it's the lack of Tyrion that makes it hard to read sometimes.

It might not be the best but it's certainly my favourite (if you know what I mean). I love the way he widens the scale and introduces all these new players. I like my books and films to be as epic as possible so I don't understand when people say he should have cut loads of the new characters.

I won't hear a bad word said against Brienne's AFFC chapters. They're all brilliant and I love reading about minor characters like Septon Meribald, Nimble Dick, Hyle Hunt and Elder Brother. I think it's some of GRRM's best writing.

The kingsmoot is amazing. End of story.

Favourite novel in series. Writing my English Lit dissertation on it currently!

Cersei chapters are just fantastic. In fact the whole book is. I can understand people's complaints, it is a completely different beast to the others but I think it is so much richer for it.

100000 x this! :agree: :agree: :agree:

I was about to say "Well, in AFFC is the Kingsmoot (the chapter "The Drowned Man") which I believe to be one of the BEST chapters in the whole series!"

It's definitely one of the funniest in the series, too. Shame it's not told from Asha's POV, cause that would've made it absolutely perfect, but that aside, it's golden

Red Ronnet.

I meant Griffins that matter.

Seriously, my favourite chapters are in this book: Jaime. Here is when you discover the guy has a heart and a brain, and Cersei was holding him back. You also feel a lot sorry for how much potential he had, and how great he could have been with the proper people in charge. With Rhaegar, he could have ended up being a knight even more famous than Arthur. If he hadn't gotten into the KG, he would have been a great Lord of Casterly Rock.

I meant Griffins that matter.

Seriously, my favourite chapters are in this book: Jaime. Here is when you discover the guy has a heart and a brain, and Cersei was holding him back. You also feel a lot sorry for how much potential he had, and how great he could have been with the proper people in charge. With Rhaegar, he could have ended up being a knight even more famous than Arthur. If he hadn't gotten into the KG, he would have been a great Lord of Casterly Rock.

Not necessarily

If he never lost his hand, his father, his brother and his twin he would not have to re-evaluate the way he has been doing things

Same if he never met and was impacted by Brienne and her ideals

Yeah, I pretty much agree, except I don't know if it's the best of the books. But its far from being some huge disappointment. Maybe I'm weird or something, but I liked AFFC. I liked reading Jaime's chapters. Also, I enjoyed Cersei's chapters too. As much as I can't stand her, Cersei's combination of paranoia and superiority are hysterical. I didn't find Brienne's chapters all that boring and I liked getting more info about Dorne and the Iron Born. And of course, I always appreciate Sansa's chapters.

Archived