GRRM posts full unpublished version of "History of the Westerlands" from World book

Freaking awesome, thanks for posting this!

As many of you might be expecting I feel myself getting drawn back to the Lion. Maybe I'm denying my nature when favoring the Arryns? Time will tell, and you'll know if I change my avatar again.

The Arryns are awesome and the material was okay.

I just wish we had more info on the other Westerlands houses and Lannisport. The anciant Lannisters sound awesome so I would love to hear about them, I have no desire to read about the current Lannister generation.

Ran, perhaps you could clarify something?

According to the text now published on GRRM's website, Jason Lannisters eldest son should be Damon, as he marries the Stackspear girl first. The text later calls Stafford his heir though.. And according to The World of Ice and Fire, Stafford was Jasons heir. But then what about Damon? Which of the two is correct? Besides the familytree (which tells us nothing about the order of Jasons marriages), the book itself doesn't mention Damon..

Tywin definitely believes in killing the family tree like a Sicilian mobster. Don't want a rival's kids to come back at you in the future. Whoa.

I think its more the animal imagry he uses, because its common for male lions to tske over a pride, killing the old male and his cubs/seed.

The sword Brightroar came into the possession of the Lannister kings in the century before the Doom, and it is said that the weight of gold they paid for it would have been enough to raise an army. But it was lost a century later, when Tommen II sailed to ruined Valyria with the intention of plundering whatever wealth and sorcery remained after the Doom. His great fleet never returned, and Brightroar vanished from the pages of history. The last report of Tommen’s doomed venture is found in a chronicle called The Glory of Volantis. There it stated that a “golden fleet” bearing the “Lion King” had stayed there for supplies, and that the triarchs lavished him with gifts. The chronicle claims that Tommen swore that half of all he found would be given to the Volantenes. In return the triarchs promised to send their fleet to his aid should he require it. A year later, the chronicle reports, the Triarch Marqelo Tagaros dispatched a squadron of ships toward Valyria to see if any sign of the golden fleet could be found, but they returned empty handed

While reading this, a thought just crossed my mind. Could it be that Brightroar is in the possession of one of the old Triarch families? They loved war and violence, so perhaps they might have arranged an accident for Tommen II? And of course such a precious sword would have wound up in the possession of one of the more important tigers

While reading this, a thought just crossed my mind. Could it be that Brightroar is in the possession of one of the old Triarch families? They loved war and violence, so perhaps they might have arranged an accident for Tommen II? And of course such a precious sword would have wound up in the possession of one of the more important tigers

Hmm

I can see this happening; the volantenes felt bad and sent a fleet looking for him? More like made a show of searching

King Morgon was supposedly a necromancer of terrible power, and it is written that as he lay dying, he told the Lannisters who had slain him (amongst them three of Loreon’s own sons) that he would return from the grave to wreak vengeance upon them one and all. To prevent that, Loreon had Morgon’s body hacked into a hundred pieces and fed to his lions. In a grisly aftermath, however, those selfsame lions broke loose two years later in the bowels of Casterly Rock, and slew the king’s sons, just as the Hooded King had promised.

Do we sense a skinchanger?

Did Morgon take a second life in a lion and lead them to his vengeance? (Nymeria's Frey/Lannister Dinner?)

Could Morgon control dead by skinchanging?

Do we sense a skinchanger?

Did Morgon take a second life in a lion and lead them to his vengeance? (Nymeria's Frey/Lannister Dinner?)

Could Morgon control dead by skinchanging?

Or, the lions who once tasted human's meat, desired more of it..

The Arryns are awesome and the material was okay.

I just wish we had more info on the other Westerlands houses and Lannisport. The anciant Lannisters sound awesome so I would love to hear about them, I have no desire to read about the current Lannister generation.

I agree about the Arryns but right now there's very little to love, a few early kings, a couple of names of other Arryns and Jon Arryn and that's about it! While there's ton of information on the Lannisters both historical and in the novels. I wish we get something similar for the Arryns but they seems to be designated to be a House of minor importance in the story. I still have hope in Harry the Heir but that's still not all that much. :(

I don't know if he'd plan to, but he may well do so over time since he doesn't seem to be planning a "BOOK OF THE SEVEN KINGDOMS" type project for his regional material, and a number of the regions are substantial enough that they can be worthwhile reading on their own.

Ran,

I heard earlier that there would be an official version of the history of Westeros written by Martin after he finished the series. Is that the Book of the Seven Kingdoms you are referring to here? Is it not a project he's going to complete any more?

ETA

oh and will these new additions (longer history of the Lannisters) be included in new versions of TWOIAF?

The assembled nobles, swayed in no small part by the eloquence (and, some suggest, the gold) of Lord Gerold the Golden, ultimately awarded the Iron Throne to Prince Aegon

A golden Lannister playing Kingmaker.

she was not allowed to speak

Runs with the Cersei Silent Sisters theory and Tyrion's threat to turn her joy to ashes in her mouth.

Pounce,

No, the only book George has even semi-committed to post-ASoIaF is FIRE AND BLOOD, which would be focused on the Targaryens. He hasn't said he'll do any other similar projects.

A second edition of TWoIaF is something that hasn't been formally discussed, but certainly if Random House and George were interested in a revised or expanded version of the book, it'll happen, I expect.

Archived