No GRRM Script for Season 6

Westeros

At the San Francisco premiere of Game of Thrones, Access Hollywood asked George R.R. Martin a few questions. The first? Whether he’d write a script for the sixth season… and the answer is, “No”:

Note that this statement comes less than two weeks after GRRM commented on Livejournal that he was at that time “wrestling” with the same question. So it looks likely that he settled on an answer pretty much around the time that he decided to remove some appearances from his schedule.

Visit the Site!

He's working on the books right now and I believe they are doing scripts for season 6 right now so it makes sense.

I do wonder if D&D have source material from Winds to work off of, I would hope so but you never know. I could understand Martin not letting it out of his sight because it is unpublished. But I would feel better if they were using what he was done and not coming up with everything on there own.

Here's a more detailed accounting of why from his notablog.

"Speaking of which... after wrestling with it for a month or so, I've decided not to script an episode for season six of GAME OF THRONES. Writing a script takes me three weeks, minimum, and longer when it is not a straight adaptation from the novels. And really, it would cost me more time than that, since I have never been good at changing gears from one medium to another and back again. Writing a season six script would cost me a month's work on WINDS, and maybe as much as six weeks, and I cannot afford that. With David Benioff, D.B. Weiss, and Bryan Cogman on board, the scriptwriting chores for season six should be well covered. My energies are best devoted to WINDS."

Source: http://grrm.livejournal.com/415405.html

He's working on the books right now and I believe they are doing scripts for season 6 right now so it makes sense.

I do wonder if D&D have source material from Winds to work off of, I would hope so but you never know. I could understand Martin not letting it out of his sight because it is unpublished. But I would feel better if they were using what he was done and not coming up with everything on there own.

D&D has access at all books material and at Martin himself. They know everything.

You know who I feel bad for? The book fans pre-2005. I mean didn't Martin say in 2006 he was almost done with book 5 and then it takes another FIVE years to get published? I would have gone completely insane. That's the beauty of the show. We have a focused, dedicated group of people that produce a season of spectacular television each year. Unfortunately, this five year delay for book 5 is what really screwed up the whole timeline and pretty much guaranteed the show would finish first.

In an ideal world I would read the books first, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over the show spoiling the ending. At least I'll experience the suspense the unsullied feel for a season or two. The only thing that would concern me is D&D having to work with very limited info, but it appears they practically know everything Martin knows, so no need to panic (hopefully).

You know who I feel bad for. The book fans pre-2005. I mean didn't Martin say in 2006 he was almost done with book 5 and then it takes another FIVE years to be published? I would have gone completely insane. That's the beauty of the show. We have a focused, dedicated group of people that produce a season of spectacular television each year. Unfortunately, this five year delay is what really screwed up the whole timeline and pretty much guaranteed the show would finish first.

In an ideal world I would read the books first, but I'm not going to lose Amy sleep over the show spoiling the ending. At least I'll experience the suspense the unsullied feel for a season or two. The only thing that would concern me is D&D having to work with very limited info, but it appears they practically know every Martin knows, so no need to panic

My husband read the books when ASoS came out. He loves the show...it's actually one of the few shows we watch together.

My husband read the books when ASoS came out. He loves the show...it's actually one of the few shows we watch together.

That's great. I'm just glad there are people like me that can appreciate both as separate entities. On the other hand, I can understand why some that have been with the books so long are protective of the product. But if all they feel is negativity about the show I just don't understand why they continue to watch.

That's great. I'm just glad there are people like me that can appreciate both as separate entities. On the other hand, I can understand why some that have been with the books so long are protective of the product. But if all they feel is negativity about the show I just don't understand why they continue to watch.

I agree. I don't see the point in wasting my time watching something that gives me no pleasure...if I don't like what I'm watching, no matter how invested I am in it up to that point, I won't continue.

To wait 15+ years... almost frightening in a way, isn't it? If Martin finishes the whole series by, say, 2020 (quite an optimistic projection methinks) there'll be people who were 18 when they first started reading AGoT who'll be 42 by 2020. :ack:

You know who I feel bad for? The book fans pre-2005. I mean didn't Martin say in 2006 he was almost done with book 5 and then it takes another FIVE years to get published?

Am I glad I waited until season 2 was finished before reading the books. Finished them a couple of months later. But that was 2012 and I even think it takes long before Winds is done. But 6 years for aDwD is really long :\

To wait 15+ years... almost frightening in a way, isn't it? If Martin finishes the whole series by, say, 2020 (quite an optimistic projection methinks) there'll be people who were 18 when they first started reading AGoT who'll be 42 by 2020. :ack:

We met in college when he first started reading these books.

Since then:

1. He's graduated with a BS and an MS in nuclear engineering...

2. I've traveled to Japan and also graduated with a double major in Japanese and International Business...

3. We've moved to another state...

4. We've both had successful careers...

5. We've traveled the world...

6. And had our two children...one of which is already in school.

So yeah...if the last book didn't come out until 2020, he'd be 40 years old. I know some people are content to wait forever for the books, but we both want the ending as soon as possible...no matter the format.

• Cultural necessity. GOT is a cultural phenomenon, and for better or for worse pretty, typical water cooler conversation

You can keep talking about "separate entities," and I agree that they're not the same story at this point, but the resolutions will be "similar," meaning there are legitimate plot spoilers that will have meaning to book readers.

Kind of a continuation of #2, but given its prevalence in our society (especially social media), the risk of being spoiled for readers who don't want to be is incredibly high...almost impossible to avoid, actually. Many would rather at least watch how the "story" unfolds with some context (albeit changed from the books), rather than reading a tweet about King Jon or something.

It's fun to try and outpace Cersei in wine consumption during the viewings.

There's something satisfying about complaining and commiserating with other book readers.

In an odd way it kind of makes the books shine even more.

We met in college when he first started reading these books.

Since then:

1. He's graduated with a BS and an MS in nuclear engineering...

2. I've traveled to Japan and also graduated with a double major in Japanese and International Business...

3. We've moved to another state...

4. We've both had successful careers...

5. We've traveled the world...

6. And had our two children...one of which is already in school.

So yeah...if the last book didn't come out until 2020, he'd be 40 years old. I know some people are content to wait forever for the books, but we both want the ending as soon as possible...no matter the format.

That’s pretty weird.. But then again, if I list my accomplishments since The first book came out:

1. Learned to read, write, drive a bike, drive a scooter/moped, do math, and a lot more.

2. Finished primary school (was in 2nd year when the book came out, 8 years total)

3. Started and Finished secondary school. (6 years)

4. Delivered about 100.000 newspapers.

5. Got a BS in Engineering (4 years)

6. Atm working for 1,5 year already.

7. Went on ~20 vacations to all kind of countrys.

So I was like 5 when that book came out.

• Cultural necessity. GOT is a cultural phenomenon, and for better or for worse pretty, typical water cooler conversation
  • You can keep talking about "separate entities," and I agree that they're not the same story at this point, but the resolutions will be "similar," meaning there are legitimate plot spoilers that will have meaning to book readers.
  • Kind of a continuation of #2, but given its prevalence in our society (especially social media), the risk of being spoiled for readers who don't want to be is incredibly high...almost impossible to avoid, actually. Many would rather at least watch how the "story" unfolds with some context (albeit changed from the books), rather than reading a tweet about King Jon or something.
  • It's fun to try and outpace Cersei in wine consumption during the viewings.
  • There's something satisfying about complaining and commiserating with other book readers.
  • In an odd way it kind of makes the books shine even more.

TBF, most people would die before they outpaced Cersei in alcohol consumption.

Archived