No GRRM Script for Season 6

Westeros

I don't care if he writes any episodes anymore. He should focus on finishing the books.

Its not like him writing one episode each season had some major impact on the show.

The producers can take it on their own, really - they know the plot. And even if they change

things, I'm fine with that, it will make the books more interesting if you don't know everything

in advance.

The producers can take it on their own, really - they know the plot. And even if they change

things, I'm fine with that, it will make the books more interesting if you don't know everything

in advance.

Not many if any characters this season are following any written story at all. Almost every single character has been arranged differently out of place within error. We even get sceens between Roose/Littlefinger. The Eyrie is a dawn ride, half a day, from the Dreadfort. The scale is out to lunch. Let us compare with little England because that is what this show is. Is Norfolk anywhere near Newcastle? Even the Wildlings last season took episodes getting to Castle Black after they crossed over the wall, days to ride. Begging the most obvious questions of to what end? Will any finale even be the same once everything has been changed?

The title of this forums thread, begging obviously any questions.

How will it affect the books, well not at all I hope. Although dubious impact will have been made, as the show plough through on into later spoilers. How does it affect the show quite obviously.

I do not believe GRRM feels so pressured by the series so as to spoil his masterpiece. I am among those who believe he will end ASoIaF and I don't think that D&D's work casts such a shadow over it. See, no matter how good the TV series is, it will not last as much as the book. It is doubtful that anyone will still remember it in 40 or 50 years. The books will last much longer and of course GRRM knows that. The TV series can spoil the ending for our generation and that's sad, but he is not writing just for us. So if he needs another five or six years to finish the work, I'm not sad about it. I do not want a book written hastily and without the quality of the earlier works because he felt pressured by HBO. And I believe GRRM neither.

I am also among those who liked the fifth book more than the fourth book. Not because the fourth book was bad, but because the other books show that GRRM is capable of much more. Anyway, reading both books as one work, is a much more enjoyable.

Honestly, this whole discussion seems unimportant. In my opinion, good books are not based on some kind of endgame or major twists. It's not because of the Red Wedding or R+L=J that I like Asoiaf. Of course it's important but more important is the journey, how the characters were brought to one point, what they have become and why. Television are much more dependent of the endgame than a book. I won't stop reading ADOS because I already know the ending. I doubt that this change he mentions in the interview changes the final structure that he outlined so many years ago. But if it improves the journey, the better.

I just hope the show continues to veer away from the book plot. They might as well do their own ending, it's not really an adaption at this point, but an alternate story set in the same universe. This would protect the books and let D&D do their own thing, which is clearly what they want to do.

^The ending will be the same. D and D have confirmed that. There'll be differences in certain storylines and whole others out of the picture, significantly altering GrrM's Act Two but we'll arrive at the same Act Three and endpoint.

"The same," as in the way that the series has been "the same." So many characters have been totally rewritten that we know it won't be "the same" except for in the very broad strokes. The TV show is the surface layer of a seven layer story. It's nice, and enjoyable, and I partuclarly like seeing certain things depicted on screen, but most of the important material of the books is simply not in the show. No ones fault, just different mediums.

I do know they said that but they only know the broad strokes, seeing as it isn't been written yet... it's mostly wishful thinking on my part. The more deviation the show does, the better, as far as I'm concerned. makes it easy to think about them as separate stories.

As long as book six comes out before next season, book readers like myself can watch. But season seven, no way. Going to have to move out to the woods and ignore the Internet completely. Its a weird situation, never really happened before. Anyway.

As long as book six comes out before next season, book readers like myself can watch. But season seven, no way. Going to have to move out to the woods and ignore the Internet completely. Its a weird situation, never really happened before. Anyway.

That it is. It's certainly a first. Myself, I welcome it because I'd really hate waiting another four or five years for the ending. But it's perfectly understandable that a lot of people feel otherwise. The spoilers will be VERY hard to avoid but I'm sure it's doable.

I will probably hole up with TWOW and wring every drop of astronomical metaphor and symbolism that I can, that should take a couple years at least. It really does take years to decide his writings, after you've gone through and read it just for the action and main plot.

I just hope the TV show viewers will be as respectful about not spoiling book readers as we book readers have been up until this point. We shall see. The nice thing about a story with such depth is that even knowing "what happens" at the end can only spoil so much of the enjoyment.

Still gonna be weird though. I've never had to worry about spoilers because as soon as I get into something I read everything there is like a manic and then go online to talk about it.

Considering everything is pretty much heresay at this point.

When that next book will be released.

Emphatically stating one thing upon starting seasons soon progresses into something alien later on down that road.

Until at this point, it is an almost unrecognisable comparison, if this series of pictures get there, it stands to reason that they will have been of a different description

Wanting something like a child into rushed fandoms, translated into the by product of some kind of made for tv, tv or that xfactored generation of superhero, breaking bad, hipsters. Told by robots what to like, and just how undeniably great it must be, not so subliminally when every focus and related article has clauses that read you must say this is awesome.

Sadly this is what is known as a fad, lasting nothing more then a generation before those kids grow up, shave their beards and stop wearing tights, moving onto the next best thing.

Let us hope these books one of fantasy top reads, last forever longer, then the next best show.

^The ending will be the same. D and D have confirmed that. There'll be differences in certain storylines and whole others out of the picture, significantly altering GrrM's Act Two but we'll arrive at the same Act Three and endpoint.

They had actually recently told that the ending might not actually be the same. But it most likely will. 99%. Just no 100%.

That had actually recently told that the ending might not actually be the same. But it most likely will. 99%. Just no 100%.

I'm sure they will do whatever makes the most sense based on where they have taken the show at the end of next season. They are making a lot of changes this season, character wise (not just plot wise). I'm thinking of people like Brienne especially, but also Stannis, Cersei, Jaime, I'm sure there are others. Point being, they seem to take it one season at a time, having originally had the Red Wedding as their goal, and by the end of next season, who knows where they will be. They'll have to work with George's future notes (instead of having an actual book to work from) so season 7 will be totally different in that respect. Having George tell you how he plans to write the ending in 10 years is not the same as having a 1,000 page book to draw from, so season 7 will be a lot more writing and work for those guys.

What I would like, again this is wishful thinking, is for them to just go ahead and depart from the plan in season 7 and just do whatever they think makes sense. Like an alternate ending. Borrow some stuff, not others, whatever works for the TV show. If they told us book readers the ending would be different, we would watch, but otherwise, no. Of course we are a minority among HBO viewers so they probably aren't too worried about it.

Just to be clear, no sour grass here about the show. I am mainly happy for my favorite author that his work is blowing up so big. He deserves it. The show has boosted his book sales big time, which is fantastic. The more people read the books the better.

I am curious if the term intellectual property can be used as a emphatic spoiler here?

A generic show doesn't generate readers. Today blockbusters, series, are pumped out by the minute so too speak, a dime a dozen, each worth xxx numbers.

Curiously not the same as this author writing books prior to any released adaptation, or writing directly for them. This thread states otherwise.

What we have here is indefinite maybe's possibly construed as misinterpretation

I'm sure they will do whatever makes the most sense based on where they have taken the show at the end of next season. They are making a lot of changes this season, character wise (not just plot wise). I'm thinking of people like Brienne especially, but also Stannis, Cersei, Jaime, I'm sure there are others. Point being, they seem to take it one season at a time, having originally had the Red Wedding as their goal, and by the end of next season, who knows where they will be. They'll have to work with George's future notes (instead of having an actual book to work from) so season 7 will be totally different in that respect. Having George tell you how he plans to write the ending in 10 years is not the same as having a 1,000 page book to draw from, so season 7 will be a lot more writing and work for those guys.

What I would like, again this is wishful thinking, is for them to just go ahead and depart from the plan in season 7 and just do whatever they think makes sense. Like an alternate ending. Borrow some stuff, not others, whatever works for the TV show. If they told us book readers the ending would be different, we would watch, but otherwise, no. Of course we are a minority among HBO viewers so they probably aren't too worried about it.

Just to be clear, no sour grass here about the show. I am mainly happy for my favorite author that his work is blowing up so big. He deserves it. The show has boosted his book sales big time, which is fantastic. The more people read the books the better.

I would have actually preferred the alternate ending for the show as well but that's not going to happen. D&D were repeatedly saying that they will definitely follow the notes that Martin send them. What they were saying thought a few days ago, is that they are not sure anymore if Martin himself will follow his own notes. Although I think the chance of Marting changing his ending is veeeeery low.

I would have actually preferred the alternate ending for the show as well but that's not going to happen. D&D were repeatedly saying that they will definitely follow the notes that Martin send them. What they were saying thought a few days ago, is that they are not sure anymore if Martin himself will follow his own notes. Although I think the chance of Marting changing his ending is veeeeery low.

ooh, now you've got my conspiratorial brain working. Did Martin cleverly give the TV show people the standard fantasy ending he was never planning on doing? That would be genius ;)

"Uh, yeah, so Dany rides in on her dragons, marries Jon, and they live happily ever after and no more Stark children die at all. Yup, that's it. No one will see it coming... trust me, it'll be great."

meanwhile the real ending is Sam as Azor Ahai, Jon and Dany both dead, the others are the good guys, etc. Everyone is a winner.

ooh, now you've got my conspiratorial brain working. Did Martin cleverly give the TV show people the standard fantasy ending he was never planning on doing? That would be genius ;)

It would also be breach of contract.

GrrM has confirmed that he gave them the real ending. He seems to have come to terms with the show ending first. So we'll get that in 2017 and ADOS...whenever. And THAT's if there's no book eight.

GrrM has confirmed that he gave them the real ending. He seems to have come to terms with the show ending first. So we'll get that in 2017 and ADOS...whenever. And THAT's if there's no book eight.

I hope we won't go into that 'contract spiel' again on this thread, but I do want to bring up that whatever GRRM does for the ending will not affect the HBO series.

The HBO show will be done by 2017 at current rates.

WoW will be released 2016-2017 (hopefully).

Given GRRM's current pace, ADOS will likely take another 5-6 years to complete.

By ~2023 whatever ending GRRM ends up choosing will likely not cause any outcry when one at the time will look at the show having finished more than half a decade ago.

Nonsense, "the real ending", literally hypothetical context. A breach of contract that he isn't directly writing for. Where is the book now? An outline may have been given, structured into what end? I love the way misinterpretations, can be made from any print, producing whatever, where ever, while some people read between those lines as scripture.

This show is not Harry Potter where the author was driectly writing in advance of each adaptation, meeting deadlines, working closely on every production, showing their unwavering support at each red carpet opening.

Although I do not discount for a minute that GRRM is playing the Game of Thrones. Considered within connotation to his fantastic literature.

Anybody can assume placing merit where what is considered. I believe press will follow confirming where all those that stand have reasoned.

It would definitely be a breach of contract for GRRM to have given D&D anything other than his full outline, as it stands at the time they ask for it. To do anything else would be fraudulent misrepresentation as to what is being sold.

Now, barring some special provision that I really can't see a motive for being included, I don't think GRRM subsequently departing from his outlined ending would be actionable, though he's said he doesn't want to do that anyway.

"The same," as in the way that the series has been "the same." So many characters have been totally rewritten that we know it won't be "the same" except for in the very broad strokes. The TV show is the surface layer of a seven layer story. It's nice, and enjoyable, and I partuclarly like seeing certain things depicted on screen, but most of the important material of the books is simply not in the show. No ones fault, just different mediums.

This.

I'm not really worried about the show "spoiling" the books. Knowing some "broad strokes" about the plot will not mean that I won't enjoy finding out how and why it happens in the books, in addition to hundreds of details, minor subplots, character development and other things that will never make it into the show. After all, I had been spoiled on Ned's death before I even started reading AGOT, I had been spoiled on the Red Wedding, but that didn't make it any less interesting to read the books and those moments any less powerful. And with the show diverging more and more, chances are that the interpretations of these plot points will be radically different in books and the show.

After all, we still read and watch various different productions of Romeo and Juliet, Hamlet, Macbeth or Othello, even though we all know the plot. We watch drastically different adaptations of classic novels, and even more drastically different interpretations of historical events in various historical fiction works - even though we know "how it ends".

I'm sure D&D mean it when they say that the show will have the "same" ending and follow the same "broad strokes" plot-wise, but that doesn't mean it will be the same story. How can it be the "same" when you change characterizations and play fast and loose with character motivations, development and dynamics, when you merge different characters, add storylines, cut storylines, change characters' fates, and often drastically change (or ignore) the themes?

If the same "broad strokes" of the plot and the same ending made the stories "same", then people would think that Shakespeare's Richard III, Sharon Key Penman's novel The Sunne in Splendour and the TV series The White Queen/Philipa Gregory's books it was based on, are all the same story... except, of course, nobody in the world would ever say that.

Archived