Vikings VI: On to Frankia

Buckwheat

Finally saw the episode. I was looking forward to it, but then I saw that the AV-club only gave a B to this episode and a kind of lost heart. Having seen the episode, I can without a doubt say that the reviewer should be ashamed of giving this such a low score. Definitely one of the best battle sequence I have ever seen on TV. At the moment there are only two that I can think of that are better overall imo, but if we're just looking at straightforward battle scenes this was definitely the best. Easily better than Blackwater to which I would award the second place. I would give the episode an A- or even an A.

The music gave me the chills throughout. That opening sequence was just otherworldly. The episode overall was cleverly directed and lacked the usual jarring editing Viking sometimes displays (there was only like one lapse this episode). That made the action incredibly easy to follow, which I think is pretty hard to do when you're filming a siege. Vikings has always had the best fighting on TV imo, but they really stepped up a notch this episode.

The episode was also just plain tense. I love how they managed to fool me several times. Before watching the episode, I was pretty sure they weren't going to win, but the episode occasionally made me think otherwise. When Rollo got his freak on and tried to reach the Princess I was just right there in the moment with him. I said to myself 'My God, this is Rollo's day isn't it?! He's actually going to do it, barge up there and kidnap the Princess' and then the defenders pushed him off the ramparts :(

That was a beautiful scene really. Vikings has an impressive trackrecord of great imagery and scenes (Goodbye to Gydda, Uppsala, Blood Eagle, etc.), Rollo's whole attack was more than worthy of being included. There were other worthy candidates as well. Ragnar getting a glimpse of Paris, the reveal of the ballistae/scorpio's, Floki in his burning tower, etc. All were just great.

The acting was great as ever, but that's to be expected. Special shout-out to Princess Polanski though. Her accent is still annoying and should be dropped, but the way she looked, standing on the battlements was great. I kind of wish they had just introduced her this episode though. Like, this made last weeks scenes of the Parisian court even more unnecessary. I think it would have been more effective to introduce her right there on the ramparts, standing beside the Oriflamme.

Despite all the praise I heaped on it, I have to say that the episode itself wasn't perfect though. Like, the first 3/4 were just magnificent. The preparations, the battle and the immediate aftermath were marvellous (although, I to am sad that Erlendur Bieber didn't die). However, I can't say that I was impressed by the last 10 minutes or so. There were three things that bugged me. The Thorunn scene was kind of a waste of space. Perhaps she'll kill herself in an epic way or show up in Paris to fuck shit up, but whatever Hirst does with Thorunn, he should make it count, for this season her character has been such a drag. I want some pay off.

I also didn't like Earl Kalf and Lagertha going at it. That was a little bit... odd. Still, don't think Kalf is worthy of her. I think he's just miscast to be honest. If the actor playing Kalf had some actual sizzling chemistry with Katheryn Winnick, I think this might have worked, but he's so underwhelming, he lacks presence (e.g. Imagine that Kalf were played by Aidan Turner in Polldark mode, now that would be great). Which is a shame, because that's what makes Lagertha so great, Winnick is great at giving her presence which makes her such a formidable character.

My most controversial pick however is Ragnar's monologue to spirit Athelstan. Some of his lines were just incredible jarring (Ragnar should never ever use the word agenda) and I hated how it kind of made him into a callous asshole. I mean, he was willing to sacrifce all those people just because he wanted Floki to suffer for killing his man crush Athelstan. Not just that, he also endangered his son, his brother and his ex-wife. That pissed me off.

Hirst should have shortened the monologue or changed the text. Like, before the episode, pretty much everyone here saw Ragnar giving Floki the lead as a win-win scenario right? If Floki lost, than Ragnar could gloat over Floki. If Floki won, Ragnar would be in possession of Paris. The monologue however stipulates that Ragnar knew all along that the battle couldn't be won. And since Ragnar has quite an uncanny talent for predicting the outcomes of his battles (he's a master tactician) we should believe him. So how does that mesh with Ragnar the hero who wants a better life for his people. If his warriors are dead, they can't get a better life, nor can they defend their loved ones at home. I found ti quite jarring. It would have been better if Ragnar had acknowledged the win-win scenario imo.

Excellent post. :bowdown: This is what i was trying to say although i couldn't put it as well as you!

Ragnar was actually really proud of Bjorn for taking a lead. Ragnar gets whats coming to him...? Hueee! ;)

Also, this guy stole the show for a bit.

That guy was awesome. Hope he makes a second cameo :commie:

Excellent post. :bowdown: This is what i was trying to say although i couldn't put it as well as you!

That guy was awesome. Hope he makes a second cameo :commie:

He got a second bolt right in the forehead. But like I said before, I hope to see some berserkers at some point.

Archived