Do the Maesters have any Religous Affiliation?

RedShirt47

They have a big Weirwood tree at the Citadel which hints at a link to the Old Gods but they are based in Oldtown so they could have a link to The Faith of The Seven.
I know there are practical reasons for these, the ravens are useful for communications and both The Faith and The Citadel both being in the largest city (at the time) makes sense.

But apart from Cresan's attempt at killing Melisandre they seem to stay out of religious affairs. Do they simply tolerate The Old Gods and The Seven bacause there are no magical powers apparent to the Maesters?
Did Cresen have religious objections to Melisandre, was it that he didn't like the magical elements or was it that he felt she had too much influence on Stannis?

I know there are theories about The Maesters trying to wipe out Magic or Dragons but I haven't really studied those. From what little I know they aren't really religious.

As far as I remember, there isn't a single hint in either direction. They neither oppose any religion nor particularly praise a certain one, beyond the figures of speech common to any Westerosi.

Their organization seems to be pretty agnostic and secular. As organization, not necessarily on a personal level. Septon Cellador is just an asshole and a hypocrite up at the Wall.

I think they are basically agnostic/atheist

They are just interested in learning and knowledge and since the old gods and the seven are apart of the 7K that they serve they don't have any issue with them... they may not belive but they have nothing to gain by denouncing the faith

As far as I can tell they havent come up with ideas or technologies that disprove anything the 7 teach so theres no reason for animosity between the two

First there's Merwyn (Blood magic,Mirri Maz Durr and whatever he does with his candleglass )

Then we saw Luwin do exactly what every measter do everywhere they are :INFORMATION CONTROL Convincing Bran that it's just stories and they don't exist bla bla bla ...when having his valeryian link imply that he's in the loop and conspire to keep lordling out....Why was Osha the only one to get the comet's association right ?? No measter beyond the wall!

Archived