Bakker XXXV: Tyrant of Rat Nation, Worshipped as Rat of Rats

Madness

I have only read the first trilogy so I probably shouldn't read this thread just yet but I was wondering something about Cniur.

I am unsure if he is actually gay, or if it was Moehngus manipulation of him?

He does rape Conphas.

I also think he had a strong adoration of Proyas, though I'm not sure if it was sexual. He literally carried him through the desert though.

I'm pretty sure he kisses Moehngus at the end as well

And he seems to be in major denial.

Serwe is his proof. Proof what? To whom?

Anyway I am going to read Ready Player One before Aspect Emperor.

I have only read the first trilogy so I probably shouldn't read this thread just yet but I was wondering something about Cniur.

I am unsure if he is actually gay, or if it was Moehngus manipulation of him?

He does rape Conphas.

I also think he had a strong adoration of Proyas, though I'm not sure if it was sexual. He literally carried him through the desert though.

I'm pretty sure he kisses Moehngus at the end as well

And he seems to be in major denial.

Serwe is his proof. Proof what? To whom?

Anyway I am going to read Ready Player One before Aspect Emperor.

Honestly, he loves him some Moe. I'm pretty you sure you hit the nail on the head about Serwe being his proof. Also, remember he says it to Akka, Aurang and I believe someone else who I can't remember. When they ask him about the Dûnyain, he always says, "They make you love!". You know, yea , he's in denial. He can't really comprehend what made Meöenghus seduce him. Now, that's my interpretation, I'm sure a few around here can delve a little deeper.

eTA: its what I love about Cnaüir. He is the most violent of all men. Truly, he's a fucking badass, who's not to be trifled with. Yet, he can't comprehend his love for Moe. Its what totally makes him spiral out of control. He has the Dûnyain figured out, and there's not a damn thing he can do about. So.....he starts making love to a fucking Skin-Spy. My favorite character, but man, he is a twisted dude.

I find it curious that while Nayu clearly loves Moe, he never seems to love Kellhus even a little despite Kellhus being nearly identical to Moenhus.

I'd presumed Serwe was his proof of his hetrosexuality.

But given his acratic nature, it might have a subtext I'm missing and be a proof for him (a hidden part of him) of something else.

It never occurred to me that Serwe was his proof of heteroness, but it does make some sense. I always thought it was his "proof" that he wasn't under Kellhus's sway/he was the one man who'd always resist him or something similar, as he claimed her as his prize towards the beginning of their journey and it was when he still had the upperhand somewhat on Kellhus.

I think if he wasn't already homosexual Moe would have found a shorter path. Getting a hetro guy to have gay sex in an extremely homophobic culture is certainly possible for a dunyain but it would take a lot of work. Whereas using Cnaur's homosexuality to to his advantage is exactly the kind of leverage the dunyain are so fond of using.

I always took Serwe as Cnaur's proof to himself that he was the ultimate Scylvendi. Scylvendi culture involves war but it also involves the sunjugation of women and slaves, so Cnaur raping Serwe ensures he meets the expectation of what a Scylvendi should be in all it's aspects not just war, she's proof he's a real Scylvendi and not a faggot weeper like everyone thinks.

It never occurred to me that Serwe was his proof of heteroness, but it does make some sense. I always thought it was his "proof" that he wasn't under Kellhus's sway/he was the one man who'd always resist him or something similar, as he claimed her as his prize towards the beginning of their journey and it was when he still had the upperhand somewhat on Kellhus.

He lost the upper hand right after claiming Serwe. Remember, Kelhuss hangs him over a cliff? Beginning of Cnauir's downward spiral.,...

The shame of having Grimdark Magazine delivered to my home.

Have them pack it in between boxes of pendulous dildos, to legitimise it.

Yeah, it could be that too. Or it could also be he may have taken her as his final anchor to humanity while in the presence of dunyain - proof of his being human instead of a dunyain thing. He'd endured weeks alone with a dunyain before that.

But all this layering gets a bit much for me!

I think if he wasn't already homosexual Moe would have found a shorter path. Getting a hetro guy to have gay sex in an extremely homophobic culture is certainly possible for a dunyain but it would take a lot of work. Whereas using Cnaur's homosexuality to to his advantage is exactly the kind of leverage the dunyain are so fond of using.

You're assuming that being gay is a purely biological, fixed trait. That's super unlikely. Genetics, environment, and social factors are all involved in shaping sexual orientation. There isn't a universal percentage of men who are predestined to be homosexual, that gets determined on the fly. Sexual preferences develop over time.

I doubt Cnaur was gay prior to meeting Moe but it doesn't matter much either way.

"I think if he wasn't already homosexual Moe would have found a shorter path."

I don't think that's true. Manipulation through love is like the default Dunyain move. They don't wait for an especially susceptible target to start seducing humans. They use it on everyone.

"Getting a hetro guy to have gay sex in an extremely homophobic culture is certainly possible for a dunyain but it would take a lot of work."

During the time that Moe was having sex with Cnaur, he was also having sex with Cnaurs mother and impregnating her! She was the wife of the chieftain and an adult. She, way more than Cnaur, knew the dangers of what she was doing, and had a lifetime of convictions she might have been able to rely on. If anything, she would have been the more difficult of the two to seduce, and there wasn't even much to gain from doing so but Moe did it anyway.

Cnaur didn't need to be gay. He was young and malleable, so Moe made him gay. He reshaped him for his own purposes and it messed Cnaur up for the rest of his life.

Archived