Littlefinger's tapestries (Mild TWOW Spoliers)

Fauxdor

We've got the new chapter excerpt. The tapestries have been delivered. They don't appear to have much meaning just yet, but what do you think we can glean from this?

"Lord Nestor was showing Lady Waxley his prize tapestries, with their scenes of hunt and chase. The same panels had once hung in the Red Keep of King’s Landing, when Robert sat the Iron Throne. Joffrey had them taken down and they had languished in some cellar until Petyr Baelish arranged for them to be brought to the Vale as a gift for Nestor Royce. Not only were the hangings beautiful, but the High Steward delighted in telling anyone who’d listen that they had once belonged to a king."

I know this is being discussed in a couple other threads but I think it deserves it's own place since there has been so much speculation about what these tapestries might be.

At first glance they don't seem to reveal much, but what do you guys think?

Yeah. I think we'll probably get a little more about them later on in the book. I think they may have been mentioned a few too many times to mean nothing, but we'll see.

If they're just scenes of hunting I wonder why Joffrey wanted them taken down. Because Robert was killed during a hunt? He just didn't think they meshed well with his sadomasochist feng shui?

The tapestries were Robert Baratheons.

Now they are in the vale.

Harry is similar to Robert Baratheon. That is what i got from the read. And the tapestries are just another hint of that.

Subtly saying look this new charcter is similar to Robert. He is fit to rule the Vale, maybe even fit to be a King.

That would make Sansa either his Cersei or his Lyanna.

That is my interpretation.

Interesting. I feel like there's not a lot of time for a new(ish) character to lead another's character arc, but Harry will definitely play a part. I don't think it will be as prominent as a sort of Robert B. parallel. But another strong male figure in Sansa's life right now will make things interesting.

I think the tapestries are just there to signify Nestor Royce is has been bought by Littlefinger. I thought they might reveal something about the royal lineage or have greater significance, but apparantly not.

Also, I think it's unlikely Harry lives much longer, because Tyrion and Sansa will be true husband and wife before the story is complete. Sansa even thinks to herself "No man can wed me so long as my dwarf husband still lives somewhere in this world."

Yeah. I think we'll probably get a little more about them later on in the book. I think they may have been mentioned a few too many times to mean nothing, but we'll see.

The only times I can remember the tapestries being mentioned was when cersei said she was giving them to LF and the sample chapter

The only times I can remember the tapestries being mentioned was when cersei said she was giving them to LF and the sample chapter

I think you might be right. Does anyone else remember theme being mentioned anywhere else? Maybe I've just seen then mentioned here a few times.

I think it definitely signifies that Royce is in Littlefinger's pocket. I was hoping it had some sort of clue to lineage but I guess that doesn't really matter.

the Tapestries are a very expensive gift to suck up to Royce. I also agree with

The tapestries were Robert Baratheons.

Now they are in the vale.

Harry is similar to Robert Baratheon. That is what i got from the read. And the tapestries are just another hint of that.

Subtly saying look this new charcter is similar to Robert. He is fit to rule the Vale, maybe even fit to be a King.

That would make Sansa either his Cersei or his Lyanna.

That is my interpretation.

This and we meet Harry. If it were not for the blond hair, I would think him another of Robert Baratheon's bastards. He is so cold and shallow to the mothers of his baseborn children it sickens me

Displaying Baratheon tapestries in the Vale seems to be pointing towards the Vale's future alliances. Just like Targ loyalists display Targ tapestries, Baratheon loyalists display Baratheon tapestries. Looks like a Stannis-LF alliance is in the making.

Displaying Baratheon tapestries in the Vale seems to be pointing towards the Vale's future alliances. Just like Targ loyalists display Targ tapestries, Baratheon loyalists display Baratheon tapestries. Looks like a Stannis-LF alliance is in the making.

I can't imagine Stannis allying with Littlefinger. It's pretty clear what LF thinks of his chances under a King Stannis, because he lays it all out for Ned back in A Game of Thrones.

I can't imagine Stannis allying with Littlefinger. It's pretty clear what LF thinks of his chances under a King Stannis, because he lays it all out for Ned back in A Game of Thrones.

But LF has Sansa and Sweetrobin, Stannis might want them and thus be willing to compromise with LF.

"Stannis Baratheon is too bloody righteous to buy men. Nor would he make a comfortable lord for the likes of Petyr. This war has made for some queer bedfellows, I agree, but those two? No."

People change with time, Stannis certainly needs as many allies as he can get. LF can offer him a means of pacifying the North via Sansa's return and the Vale's loyalty with a marriage of Shireen to Sweetrobin. I'm not saying it will be a permanent alliance and LF will suddenly become Stannis' #1 fan, but I definitely could see some form of treaty between the two happening. Otherwise I don't see the point of displaying Robert's tapestries in the Royce's home.

"Stannis Baratheon is too bloody righteous to buy men. Nor would he make a comfortable lord for the likes of Petyr. This war has made for some queer bedfellows, I agree, but those two? No."

Spoiler

It's funny because he's buying an army of 20,000 sellswords

With Braavosi gold...

Otherwise I don't see the point of displaying Robert's tapestries in the Royce's home.

Well, it's awfully flattering for Nestor Royce, isn't it? And when the time comes, he may need Nestor and his children to feel as if they have done very well by him and will continue to do well in the future.

Well, it's awfully flattering for Nestor Royce, isn't it? And when the time comes, he may need Nestor and his children to feel as if they have done very well by him and will continue to do well in the future.

I consider getting the lordship of the Gates of the Moon far more flattering than a bunch of old tapestries some senile Maester is proud of.

Tapestries pop up through out the books; especially those of house Darry which are meant to show off their ever present loyalty to the Targs, I think the same is meant for the Baratheon tapestries. It's interesting that LF displays them at the Gates of the Moon, so my guess is that if Stannis will turn down a partnership with LF, he will most definitely jump on the alliance with Nestor Royce (who owes LF quite a bit and will most likely remain loyal to him) in which case a LF-Stannis alliance occurs through Nestor Royce.

Archived