Littlefinger's tapestries (Mild TWOW Spoliers)

Fauxdor

I consider getting the lordship of the Gates of the Moon far more flattering than a bunch of old tapestries some senile Maester is proud of.

I agree, but that's neither here nor there. The point is that LF could get the tapestries for cheap and it seems to have made a big impression on Nestor Royce, and it's all part of a strategy to grant the 'lesser' Royce branch status so that they'll serve as a bulwark against the 'greater' Royces.

And these are tapestries of hunting scenes, but there's nothing about them--so far as we know--that is specifically Baratheon in nature, aside from the fact that they were once owned by Robert.

And why would Stannis 'jump' on an alliance with Nestor Royce? We have no indication that Stannis ever had any respect or warm feelings for the man.

The point is that LF could get the tapestries for cheap and it seems to have made a big impression on Nestor Royce

Indeed, but you wouldn't hang Baratheon tapestries if you hated Baratheons. That being said, I may be wrong, I just found it suspicious that there was so much emphasis on Targ and Baratheon tapestries especially since their current proprietors were loyal to the house to whom they originally belonged to (the Royces fought on Robert's side, Darry on the Targs').

Indeed, but you wouldn't hang Baratheon tapestries if you hated Baratheons. That being said, I may be wrong, I just found it suspicious that there was so much emphasis on Targ and Baratheon tapestries especially since their current proprietors were loyal to the house to whom they originally belonged to (the Royces fought on Robert's side, Darry on the Targs').

I just don't think that these are specifically Baratheon tapestries. Sometimes a tapestry is just a lovely wall-hanging. In the council room in King's Landing there are a number of foreign tapestries put up, and none of them seem to be affiliated with one dynasty or another.

The tapestries were Robert Baratheons.

Now they are in the vale.

Harry is similar to Robert Baratheon. That is what i got from the read. And the tapestries are just another hint of that.

Subtly saying look this new charcter is similar to Robert. He is fit to rule the Vale, maybe even fit to be a King.

That would make Sansa either his Cersei or his Lyanna.

That is my interpretation.

You are absolutely brilliant, they were Robert's tapestries!

In the books we have not seen his importance yet, but we have in the show. Sansa is not just Neds daughter, she is their Neds daughter. Her father grew up with a lot of Vale lords, they knew him, respected him, loved him.

But Ned was not alone, he was there with his friend, Robert, a cheerful, popular, strong man. Their Robert has been king. Their lord was his hand. Both were murdered (actually Jon was murdered by Littlefinger but only Sansa knows that) by the Lannisters.

Those tapestries are there to remember those two young squires so long ago. Sansa is not only the key to the North, she is the key to the Vale. Littlefinger has said as much by telling how all the knights would rally for her birthright.

Sansa is starting to understand the Vale. Once she understands she is not just a claim to Winterfell, but the living representation of those two men in the Vale she will be unstoppable for Littlefinger. And she will not need to marry Harry.

He was Master of coin under Robert; he must have been the one to take out the loans from the Iron Bank while the Crown was (and still is) accumulating debt.

By that logic, Littlefinger is also loyal to House Lannister and the Faith, which he also arranged for loans from. And in general I don't think people necessarily feel a great deal of loyalty to their creditors.

By that logic, Littlefinger is also loyal to House Lannister and the Faith, which he also arranged for loans from. And in general I don't think people necessarily feel a great deal of loyalty to their creditors.

I doubt it; hasn't Cersei appointed a new master of coin, after Tyrion I mean. The current master of coin is responsible for paying back the Crown's debt. I'm just saying that LF has been in contact with the Iron Bank and he may be considered an influential figure there.

You are absolutely brilliant, they were Robert's tapestries!

In the books we have not seen his importance yet, but we have in the show. Sansa is not just Neds daughter, she is their Neds daughter. Her father grew up with a lot of Vale lords, they knew him, respected him, loved him.

But Ned was not alone, he was there with his friend, Robert, a cheerful, popular, strong man. Their Robert has been king. Their lord was his hand. Both were murdered (actually Jon was murdered by Littlefinger but only Sansa knows that) by the Lannisters.

Those tapestries are there to remember those two young squires so long ago. Sansa is not only the key to the North, she is the key to the Vale. Littlefinger has said as much by telling how all the knights would rally for her birthright.

Sansa is starting to understand the Vale. Once she understands she is not just a claim to Winterfell, but the living representation of those two men in the Vale she will be unstoppable for Littlefinger. And she will not need to marry Harry.

I think that this is the best explanation that I have read on the matter.

The iron bank always get there money back if you don't pay they aid your enemy's littlefinger arranged the alliance between the lannisters and tyrells and tywin was basically running the show so the iron bank gets paid now they are backing stannis not just with gold but with alliances am not saying this is actually how it is just that it would or could explain littlefingers switch of allegiance to stannis

The iron bank always get there money back if you don't pay they aid your enemy's littlefinger arranged the alliance between the lannisters and tyrells and tywin was basically running the show so the iron bank gets paid now they are backing stannis not just with gold but with alliances am not saying this is actually how it is just that it would or could explain littlefingers switch of allegiance to stannis

He could scheme all he want, Stannis would kill him if he got close. If he is supporting Stannis it is to kill the Boltons and then be slaughtered himself afterward. He does not want Stannis as

Besides, this tapestry play is subtle, like the dwarfs at the wedding feast or the servants spreading stories about Joffrey in Highgarden. If you want the Vale to support solemn stern Stannis you will need more then a dusty tapestry and some vague memories of his brother. A sweet innocent highborn maiden on the other hand is something else.

This is about emotion and manipulation. Stannis is about law and Rhollor, he could never inspire the Vale and inspiration is exactly what is needed to get out of their mountains. The tapestries cannot help Stannis, but They fit exactly in what Littlefinger has told about his plans with Sansa. And it fits even better with what happened with Sansa in the show.

The tapestries were Robert Baratheons.

Now they are in the vale.

Harry is similar to Robert Baratheon. That is what i got from the read. And the tapestries are just another hint of that.

Subtly saying look this new charcter is similar to Robert. He is fit to rule the Vale, maybe even fit to be a King.

That would make Sansa either his Cersei or his Lyanna.

That is my interpretation.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner. On the money.

... they were Robert's tapestries!

Generally my thoughts as well.

I can't imagine Stannis allying with Littlefinger. It's pretty clear what LF thinks of his chances under a King Stannis, because he lays it all out for Ned back in A Game of Thrones.

There is some forshadowing, I would argue. All the talk of the Winged knight, for example. The winged knight was friends with mermen and COTF (manderlys and the North/First Men generally) and fought the Griffin King (Jon-Con?). If Dorne allies with Faegon and the Lannister/Tyrell alliance fies apart, a Sansa/Harry and Rickon/Shireen alliance seems like a distinct possibility to oppose them. I would think that the Tyrells might even join fAegon and Dorne, if only because they always were Targ loyalists and tend to blow with the wind.

Archived