8 Winged Knights

James Crow

Since I think Ser Shadrich is only there to try to kidnap Sansa for the reward from Cersie, it makes sense that he wins a spot so he's in position to get her. He's one of the few people that knows Alayne's true identity.

I would think the Winged Knights would have to be Valemen since they are to be protecting the Vale lord. But maybe we could see a familiar face in the melee but I would rather not. Sansa can have chapters that have nothing to do with the Hound. I do not really know important characters were it would make sense for then to be there.

This is an invitation-only tourney for highborns, so I don't think we'll see any mystery knights. Likewise, I doubt Lothar Brune got an invitation.

LF definitely will have the tourney rigged so as to get Harry in to BoWK.

Will Lyn Corbray compete? Seems a bit of a waste for him. He has a younger brother named Lucas who might.

Mychel Redfort, obviously. And maybe one of the Waynwoods.

The rest will be characters we haven't heard of yet from major or minor Vale houses.

Harry the Heir
Mychel Redfort
Lynn Corbray
Roland Waynwood

Those four are as good as certain imo. Mychel Redfort is expected to win his place and due to his affection for Mya, Sansa might be able to influence him. Plus, with good old Ser Lothor close by who knows what nice situations can occur. Harry the Heir is also certain. There is nothing in the chapter that makes him out as a bad fighter. He won a tourney for squires in AFFC.

Most realistically, he's either very good already or he's a few years from really hitting his prime (which would make him an upjumped squire, since he made knighthood a bit to early). Either way, LF is probably going to rig the tourney in his favour. Dramatically speaking, I can't really think of a scenario where it makes sense for him to not become a member of the Winged Knights.

Lynn Corbray is obviously a force to be reckoned with. The fact that he's cross with LF and always looking for more gold wasn't introduced without a reason. I think Ser Shadrick migh turn to Ser Lynn eventually to help him abduct Sansa. Before that happens, Ser Lynn will probably show how ruthless he can be in the joust.

I have a bad feeling about young Ser Wallace. He seemed kind and likeable and I'm pretty sure that Sansa might ask him to wear her favour. If he gets to joust against Ser Lynn, he might remember Sansa's jape at his expense and decide to teach young Ser Wallace a lesson (which will either lead to death or a serious injury).

I have a feeling that at least one of the Waynwood's will make the team. Roland is the most likely of the two, since I think Sansa is far more likely to give her favour to his uncle. Roland seemed strong and competent enough and it would be best if we had at least some passing knowledge of the new Winged Knights. Ser Wallace, if he survives his encounter with Ser Lynn might also become a member, but I'm not entirely sure about that.

This is an invitation-only tourney for highborns, so I don't think we'll see any mystery knights. Likewise, I doubt Lothar Brune got an invitation.

Since Ser Shadrick wasn't invited, I think Brune is out as well. Although, he might be an exception.

Brune might compete, since it's easy for Littlefinger to arrange for him to strategically throw a match, etc.; but he's already got a job as the captain of Littlefinger's household guard. There's no strategic advantage, that I can see, to making him one of the winged knights; it takes up a spot that could otherwise go to some highborn man previously outside Littlefinger's ambit.

Those four are as good as certain imo. Mychel Redfort is expected to win his place and due to his affection for Mya, Sansa might be able to influence him. Plus, with good old Ser Lothor close by who knows what nice situations can occur. Harry the Heir is also certain. There is nothing in the chapter that makes him out as a bad fighter. He won a tourney for squires in AFFC.

No, but there's nothing to indicate that he's good enough to become one of the Winged Knights. Littlefinger even states that Harry is not near skilled enough to become one of the eight.

They're all hand-picked candidates (64 of them), and have to meet certain criteria - such as being unmarried, not too old, in other words fitting companions for the young Lord Robert, who they are expected to stay with (for a number of years). Which is a great opportunity to ingratiate themselves with the future ruler of the Vale.

None of the seasoned veterans / famous warriors will fight in the joust, but there will be a melee for them, which is (in Sansa's words) an afterthought to the whole deal.

I don't think skill at arms will matter much. LF will make sure to collect 8 good hostages, so birth will matter, which eliminates Lothor and Shadrich. I don't think Lyn is supposed to be one of them too.

As for Harry, there is a melee after the joust and I think he will ne slain in that melee.

Brune might compete, since it's easy for Littlefinger to arrange for him to strategically throw a match, etc.; but he's already got a job as the captain of Littlefinger's household guard. There's no strategic advantage, that I can see, to making him one of the winged knights; it takes up a spot that could otherwise go to some highborn man previously outside Littlefinger's ambit.

You are right, but Lothor Brune might have second thoughts caused by his desire to impress one Mya Stone. He competed in the Tournament of the Hand, where he beat Jory Cassel but eventually lost to Robar Royce. Since Royce made it to the Rainbow Guard, Brune might very well be a competent enough jouster.

You are right, but Lothor Brune might have second thoughts caused by his desire to impress one Mya Stone. He competed in the Tournament of the Hand, where he beat Jory Cassel but eventually lost to Robar Royce. Since Royce made it to the Rainbow Guard, Brune might very well be a competent enough jouster.

I'm sure Brune likes Mya, but he's Littlefinger's loyal man, and if anyone should know that no good comes of crossing him, it should be him. I doubt he's going to cause problems for his boss just on that basis.

No, but there's nothing to indicate that he's good enough to become one of the Winged Knights. Littlefinger even states that Harry is not near skilled enough to become one of the eight.

You know, you could have just read the next paragraph of that post.

From a narrative perspective IDK why Harry would be teased for a whole book only to show up for a couple chapters get knocked off a horse and go home.

Oberyn says hi.

George will do anything to move the plot forward. Vale story is deadly frozen and George has to blow things up. The tourney is the perfect opportuinty to do that. Including the Hedge Knight and the Mystery Knight, none of the tourneys we have witnessed were simply tourneys. Even the most innocent one, The Hand's tourney, had a very suspicious death, cheating and Gregor going nuts. Besides, there was a plot to trick Robert into participating the melee and getting killed.

You know, you could have just read the next paragraph of that post.

I did, but what does that paragraph matter? Your guess about Harry's potential to become one of the WInged Knights is rather irrelevant if LF excplicitly says that Harry the Heir simply isn't good enough. He could be ling I suppose, but why would he? And what have we seen about Harry that suggets he is so competent with a sword?

Besides, if Harry the Heir became one of the WInged Knights LF would have to put his plans regarding Harry's marriage to Sansa on the shelf for three years.

I did, but what does that paragraph matter? Your guess about Harry's potential to become one of the WInged Knights is rather irrelevant if LF excplicitly says that Harry the Heir simply isn't good enough. He could be ling I suppose, but why would he? And what have we seen about Harry that suggets he is so competent with a sword?

Besides, if Harry the Heir became one of the WInged Knights LF would have to put his plans regarding Harry's marriage to Sansa on the shelf for three years.

I'm going to have to agree with that, if LF doesn't want him to win a spot, he almost certainly won't.

Not that LF is stupid enough to ask Harry to lose, but rigging his opponents so he loses is well within his means - assuming Harry has the skill to win in the first place.

Unless LF wants Harry within easy reach and in close proximity to Sansa, having him join the Winged Knights doesn't make a lot of sense. Of course it all depends on what kind of time-schedule LF has in mind, but I don't think he likes the idea of having Harry on "lockdown" for a couple of years. The potential for "shenanigans" (cough, cough) is also too high IMO, particularly knowing Harry's reputation.

Mithras is on the money here. Something massive is going to happen at the Tourney. I mean, really, a tourney while the entire Realm is at war? Several someones have to die and Littlefinger is no stranger to organising dodgy Tourneys. The eventual 8 Winged Guards won't matter so much as what else occurs to make it worth reading more chapters about freaking Sansa.

Shadrich is obviously there for Sansa, but I don't buy him kidnapping her. He has probably already been paid off by Littlefinger anyway. I can see Harry getting knocked off too, but also tend to agree that his introduction after Littlefinger and Sansa's revelatory conversation about why he's called Harry the Heir would be a waste if he is taken out too early. The show seems to have skipped this event altogether, so the natural assumption is that there are powerful people about to learn her true identity only to find that LF has compromised them by making their kinsmen sworn swords.

I would not rule out Robin being offed before the Winged Guard can even be assembled either. Doesn't help LF's plans, but doesn't hurt Sansa's if she is revealed.

Archived