GRRM considering big twist for a major character

If any cat is working for Arya it's Balerion. Each have vengeance in mind for their loved ones. She caught him in the end and she has strong bonds with black bastards. Pounce vs Balerion, Cleganebowl can wait.

I can only imagine any Gendry twist would be Brienne unveiling his parentage and Thoros raising the banners of the Kings men for the Kings son. If he's not in the Brotherhood that cannot happen.

But you have to think, if GRRM has only got this now what makes us think we will get it knowing less about where the plot is going.

This concerns me more than excites me. If it's a genuine "I've had a great idea!" motivation then fine. But I can't help but think it has now dawned on GRRM the implications of the show overtaking the books and GRRM is now actively thinking of ways to change the story so that book still has a few meaningful surprises. Great at face value but in reality it could leave the story as a disjointed mess. I wouldn't be shocked now if this means we will see a completely different ending in the books than GRRM has advised HBO.

This is hopeless as the fifth season isn't out yet, and some of it will adapt Winds, which isn't out, either :(

That's why the Sansa chapter was released. I think we may see a few more chapters released as the TV show advances. This series will still focus a lot on AFFC/ADWD so that source material is fine. But where GRRM knows there is stuff in the show not yet released, I think we'll get sample chapters first.

I don't doubt that the show will spoil aspects of TWOW but as long as he can get TWOW out before the start of Season 6 he'll get away with it for a year. But he doesn't have a hope of finishing the last book by the time Season 7 arrives.

Is a long time character, possibly one of the big three (Queen Dany, Lord Snow and Tyrion, maybe even Arya) or some of the Stark siblings (Bran, Sansa and Rickon...Arya is far away). It involve something that HBO decisions preclude, in other words, some changes made by the show over material already in the books and it feels natural....

My guess: Jon Snow will take Winterfell as Jon Stark after Robb's will is made public. Most people will not see it coming because many think Jon wouldn't leave the Night watch but is only natural that after Jon fail as Lord Commander he go for the best chance of being a real player, he got no future at The Wall. It's logical that he accept his brother last wishes.

The Reeds/Bran and 3EC?

That's not a bad shout but could be anything. Especially as I think this is a bit of a spiteful FU to HBO from GRRM.

It looks like the show aren't including (f)Aegon, so I think it may be something to do with him. Maybe GRRM will pull a switch and make him a real contender and have him romantically involved with a leading lady. Arya sent to assassinate him and falling in love with him instead would be an interesting twist.

This concerns me more than excites me. If it's a genuine "I've had a great idea!" motivation then fine. But I can't help but think it has now dawned on GRRM the implications of the show overtaking the books and GRRM is now actively thinking of ways to change the story so that book still has a few meaningful surprises. Great at face value but in reality it could leave the story as a disjointed mess. I wouldn't be shocked now if this means we will see a completely different ending in the books than GRRM has advised HBO.

I get a really bad vibe from this interview. It sounds like he is going to rush the next book out if he only has a year's deadline.

You can clearly see he is changing parts just to spite the show and keep us readers interested in his ending.

Waiting years in between books is an ordeal but getting a rushed book is much worse. Even if he gets TWOW out he still needs to release ADOS before season 7. The man has completely messed everything up and he is panicking now. This could be a disaster.

I get a really bad vibe from this interview. It sounds like he is going to rush the next book out if he only has a year's deadline.

You can clearly see he is changing parts just to spite the show and keep us readers interested in his ending.

Waiting years in between books is an ordeal but getting a rushed book is much worse. Even if he gets TWOW out he still needs to release ADOS before season 7. The man has completely messed everything up and he is panicking now. This could be a disaster.

My impression was that D&D have been spoiled as to the major characters and major plot arcs, but given that this series has hundreds of characters, even "long-time characters," that leaves GRRM with a fair amount of maneuvring room. Throw in the fact that D&D appear to have cut some pretty significant characters and even whole plotlines from the show, and that leaves GRRM with even more maneuvring room within those plotlines. I wouldn't worry about GRRM trying to change significant parts of the ending, since he has a lot of freedom in those storylines and with those characters the show has cut.

I do agree that GRRM appears to have fully grasped that the show will outpace him and there's nothing he can do to stop it.

It is not R+L=J because that is not a new idea. I'm guessing he has already written the reveal scene, or knows how it will play out.

Hopefully, it is Jeyne Westerling being pregnant. But probably not. One can hope, though.

Hard to believe that he "never previously considered" Jeyne Westerling being pregnant. Isn't she supposedly in the prologue for TWOW?

I'm not surprised that he hasn't committed to it yet, since I imagine if it's too major a change to the story GRRM previously revealed to D&D, the story HBO paid GRRM for, HBO will throw a hissyfit.

Archived