GRRM considering big twist for a major character

JOJEN PASTE!!!!! He probably read the ridiculous theory online and probably liked it, twisted as he is, and decided to go with it!! Think about it. 3, 4 characters (bran, meera, jojen, hodor), long time character, a huge reveal, different from the show (they already killed jojen on the show), would drive readers crazy, and it would be a twist that would further on affect the story. All the clues are right there!!!!!

It may be Sansa, Martin said the show has already taken this character in a direction. Sansa is the only POV who really goes ahead past the books this season. Given the comment comes after the release of a Sansa chapter, it may be her.

Jaime, Brie, and Stoneheart would be the others, but which one of them would be speaking of? He seems to have a central character in mind. I can't say Stoneheart as she is no longer a POV, and we will not get a lot of organic growth from a none POV who we have like 10 seconds of in the books.

But as he compared it too the show those are the only that are really going off script this season so to speak.

He really wasn't kidding when he said he was more of a gardener than an architect. We're all theorizing to the point of going crazy while he's not even decided on the fate of his character(s). Wow, just WoW! (pun intended).

:o

I get the impression he is more of a jealous neighbor. They planted the same garden in their front lawn and now he wants to change it to be different. In this case, the neighbor is the TV Show.

It may be Sansa, Martin said the show has already taken this character in a direction. Sansa is the only POV who really goes ahead past the books this season. Given the comment comes after the release of a Sansa chapter, it may be her.

Jaime, Brie, and Stoneheart would be the others, but which one of them would be speaking of? He seems to have a central character in mind. I can't say Stoneheart as she is no longer a POV, and we will not get a lot of organic growth from a none POV who we have like 10 seconds of in the books.

But as he compared it too the show those are the only that are really going off script this season so to speak.

The way I read it, if he makes the change the show will not be able to follow. So that to me suggests it's either a character who has been killed in the show, but is still alive in the books, or involves a character who the show decided not to feature. It would suggest the plot change involves a major character but it's more likely the interaction between that major character and another less character.

To be honest unless GRRM is now intending on screwing over HBO (unlikely considering it has also been revealed he has another role with them) it's probably not that major a deal and won't affect the actual end game of the story.

I get a really bad vibe from this interview. It sounds like he is going to rush the next book out if he only has a year's deadline.

You can clearly see he is changing parts just to spite the show and keep us readers interested in his ending.

Waiting years in between books is an ordeal but getting a rushed book is much worse. Even if he gets TWOW out he still needs to release ADOS before season 7. The man has completely messed everything up and he is panicking now. This could be a disaster.

GRRM has been working on this book for years. How could you possibly believe that he is rushing it?

I honestly doubt he is changing parts to spite the show. He had a light bulb go off in his head and might end up rolling with it. He has said multiple times that he writes organically. He's a gardener not an architect, remember?

The way I read it, if he makes the change the show will not be able to follow. So that to me suggests it's either a character who has been killed in the show, but is still alive in the books, or involves a character who the show decided not to feature. It would suggest the plot change involves a major character but it's more likely the interaction between that major character and another less character.

To be honest unless GRRM is now intending on screwing over HBO (unlikely considering it has also been revealed he has another role with them) it's probably not that major a deal and won't affect the actual end game of the story.

I agree it more about character development rather than over all story because that would require him to change years of wor which he himself put in motion decades ago. And clearly he mentions it effects 3 or 4 characters not everyone. Though they may not be dead, as that basically leaves Cat and Jojen. I don't think it is as major as it sounds just probably he finds it cool or intresting. Given the massive shift with Brie and Jaime that could be it,

Sansa is my only other options as she passes her own story on ths show this year and you can't go back and change it. I am not really all, omg the entire series hinges on this.

GRRM has been working on this book for years. How could you possibly believe that he is rushing it?

I honestly doubt he is changing parts to spite the show. He had a light bulb go off in his head and might end up rolling with it. He has said multiple times that he writes organically. He's a gardener not an architect, remember?

Then why even mention the television show not being able to do it?

Then why even mention the television show not being able to do it?

They could have been asking him about deviations from the show. If you notice it doesn't show the question that they asked in order for him to say what he said. It could have been he was giving the readers a clue for our speculation, or it could have been that he was just thinking about how it would be different from the show at that moment. In no way does this read like he's spiteful towards the show.

I am surprisingly nervous? I don't know. I feel like the more we try to figure ASoIaF out with theories and speculation, the more GRRM will change stuff up. It's like when JK Rowling changed the ending of HP, killing off Lupin, Tonks, and a few other characters who were initially meant to be spared. When she said on the record that it was a rather last minute change, people got very upset, because they knew there had been a choice. And the reader can then decide which outcome they would have preferred. So, by going on the record like this, GRRM could be opening himself up to criticism, especially if his change disproves a popular theory that would otherwise have been true (R+L=J, A+J=T, (f)Aegon, different romantic ships...) or results in additional, unplanned character deaths.

I don't think it's Sansa or Gendry. The show can move them back to wherever/whatever they need to be for the twist

Hm, I really want Sansa and Gendry to find as much empowerment and self-worth as possible, so if the twist is positive I'd be happy. If the twist could negatively effect either, I'll be upset. I just don't even know. Such is the nature of fangirling, I suppose. :dunno:

I agree, it could easily involve a dead character or uncast character, so the show can't easily backtrack. I get the feeling it may be about relationships/love. Bran develops a crush on Jojen? Jon Snow falls in love with Arianne? Aegon marries one of the Starks and his Aunt Dany, trying to be like Aegon the Conquerer?

Theon is Rickon's dad!

i think the three most likely are Theon not being castrated and impregnating someone important, Jojen Paste, or Jeyne was pregnant.

less likely, it involves Jaime/Brienne or Gendry/Arya

not likely to me at all: anyone in Essos.

In 2 years and 4-5 months the show will have ended and "spoiled" the ending to his work. He is only know realising that he has squandered the last 6-7 years working on other books, stories, TV shows, comic cons etc etc when he should have been writing to get the two final books out before the deadline he himself set.

With the increasing negativity and gigantic backlash he will receive for letting the show get ahead he has gotten into a panic, cancelled all appearances, passed up writing an episode for S6 etc He has now set a deadline of a year to get TWOW out. For a novel that size to be on the shelf this time next year would be the text book definition of rushed.

We were nervous the show would start to have an impact on his writing which it is now.

In 2 years and 4-5 months the show will have ended and "spoiled" the ending to his work. He is only know realising that he has squandered the last 6-7 years working on other books, stories, TV shows, comic cons etc etc when he should have been writing to get the two final books out before the deadline he himself set.

With the increasing negativity and gigantic backlash he will receive for letting the show get ahead he has gotten into a panic, cancelled all appearances, passed up writing an episode for S6 etc He has now set a deadline of a year to get TWOW out. For a novel that size to be on the shelf this time next year would be the text book definition of rushed.

We were nervous the show would start to have an impact on his writing which it is now.

Except he has said multiple times that he doesn't care if the show "spoils" the books. Unless he's telling you something he's not telling the rest of us, I'm just going to have to take GRRM's word over yours.

It has been four years since ADWD came out. Four years is more than enough time for him to finish one of his books, especially when you consider that he has done it before with other books from this series.

Lyanna is alive and well and living amongst the Crannogmen. She married Howland, gave him Meara and Jojen and lived happily ever after. She turned Jon over to Ned as a hostage to insure she never show her pretty little head outside of Greywater Watch again. The promise was for Ned to treat her son as his own and never let him know...

I think Jaime is the long term character he's talking about and the other characters involved are LS, Brienne and Pod. Jaime is in Dorne in the show and Brienne and Pod are set in their ways and LS doesn't exist in the show. That's why he can do the twist and the show can't. Otherwise this reveal doesn't make sense for Jon, Arya, Tyrion, Dany or Sansa (main characters whose course is set). Cersei's character involves the whole of KL, Arianne, Dorne and the Sand Snakes have flexibility to accommodate the twist; the Greyjoys, the Martells, Osha/Rickon, Stannis all seem peripheral for this reveal. GRRM has already told us that we'll see Jeyne, her course is also set.

Archived